Anyone have a dash cam?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Why aren't these things standard on new cars yet? It just seems so insanely useful for a number of reasons.

I've put off buying one because I'm afraid it won't survive the 100 degree summers where I live, but I think I'm just going to get it anyway.

Anyone have one? Which ones are good?

Yeah they seem pretty essential to prove who was in the wrong.

I only worry one could be used against me. If I were to accidentally run someone over or something.

Why aren't these things standard on new cars yet? It just seems so insanely useful for a number of reasons.

I've put off buying one because I'm afraid it won't survive the 100 degree summers where I live, but I think I'm just going to get it anyway.

Anyone have one? Which ones are good?
Yep, have a BlackVue. It's awesome, front and rear facing. I have caught so much stuff. When you're driving, you can upload vids directly to your phone and post if you want. Or keep it for evidence or whatever.

Make sure you get rear facing too, not just front camera

71vfHY3tR-L._SX425_.jpg

Yeah, I have one. Bought one off Amazon for like $30. It's worked for about 2 years fine, but just recently started acting up. But, it was only $30, so it's still good.

I've been considering getting one for a few months now. But haven't decided which one I should get. Just can't pull the trigger.

Yeah they seem pretty essential to prove who was in the wrong.

I only worry one could be used against me. If I were to accidentally run someone over or something.
LOL are you going to escape if you run over someone? Just own up to your mistake and they won't put you in jail for an accident. Unless you were drunk or something.

Besides. It's your camera. There's no laws against smashing your own camera. If you're at fault just destroy the thing before the cops show up.

Man there seems to be big drawbacks to these things.

1. The best place to mount is on your rear view mirror, but then you have to have a cord dangling down which is annoying. Or take your entire headliner apart and try to run a wire in the ceiling of your car.

2. They seem to use suction cup or adhesive mounts too, which of course neither of those things can survive super hot summers.

3. I guess that's about it. It just seemed dumb to make a list with only 2 things on it.

I have an Aukey and here some footage I posted a few wks ago.

I live in NM and summer get to be 100+ and I havent had issuses with it and night time footage is clear too.

link

Last edited:
I read using a GoPro as dashcam is bad idea because manually must press record and it loops and records over old footage after a certain amount of time.

yeah i got one a few months back, i think it will help alot if some weird shit happens to you, like people jumping into cars or accidents

I saw a dash cam video where a car ran a red light and collided with another car. One car slid near a bus bench where a man with crutches was sitting. He jumped up, grabbed his crutches and hurried over to check on the people in the car.

Guy deserves an honorable mention.

I have an Aukey and here some footage I posted a few wks ago.

I live in NM and summer get to be 100+ and I havent had issuses with it and night time footage is clear too.

link

Damn dude, you still listen to the radio?

I have a dashcam, and it will randomly fall off when it's sitting in the sun in anything over 50 degree weather. Now that it's warm again, I just take it down when I get out of the car.

i listen to radio and pandora and pandora has adds too. I havent tried spotify yet.

Spotify Premium is the best music service out there. No adds. Build your own playlists (or listen to premade playlists) ad-free.

Almost anything you ever want to listen to is a search away. With Premium, you can listen to whole albums. The free version only had prebuilt playlists/"stations" available with ads.

I think dash cams are essential in these days of distracted driving. I have a Pyle that is a mirror that mounts on your current mirror and has a rear view camera also. It has been good so far. I can pull the memory card to download.

Does an automatic dash cam get you a discount on car insurance?

I just bought front and rear dash cams for my wife's car. You can hide the wires by running them through the headliner, for the rear you can hide them in the plastic side panels leading towards the bottom. 3M sells a mounting kit which is pretty nice if yours has issues.

what benefits are there to the dash cams?
If some dumbass crashes into you and then claims that you were at fault, the video can save your ass.

Also, for scam artists that run out in front of your car.

If you get pulled over and beaten by cops it can win you a lawsuit.

If a comet falls out of the sky or some other crazy shit happens, you'll have it on video.

If you bang a chick on the hood of your car, now you have a nice sex tape to watch when you're old.

Back