Anyone had some random badass show up at their gym?

catchwrestle1

︻デ═一 - - - - - - - - - - - >
Banned
Reaction score
LOL I thought I was going to be that guy when I first started training at my gym.

Pretty interesting though, we were running the 'gauntlet' on a fellow training partner to get him ready for his professional mma debut, he's probably around a purple - it was no breaks, go until someone is subbed from one person vs him to the next.

Some random guy walked up, heavily muscled and scarred up I might add and asked if he could join in. Nobody wanted to interrupt the gauntlet but another lower-level grappler volunteered to roll (it was after class).

Needless to say a random 240 lb. very lean, muscular guy is going to draw some attention when it comes to grappling (I am built similarly and was sizing him up, I was hoping to watch him gas in about a minute like I did the first few times around).

It took around 30 seconds.. but man the guy was fluid, passed guard powerfully and with excellent technique and armbarred the kid from full mount, he didn't really go 100% and the lower-level grappler (maybe blue belt? i only attend no-gi) was really trying to save face and pry his arm out, but the bigger guy slowly applied pressure and got the tap.

Next up he rolls with the purple and ends up in rear mount and eventually gets the rear-naked.

Now this guy had weight on everybody but me (I didn't get a chance to roll with him... it would've been fun) and he was probably fresher... but it was goddamn impressive and nobody seemed to know who the guy was. He apparently was in a hurry and had to leave after subbing like 3 guys.

It isn't like he came and subbed an instructor or anything, but it was still pretty awesome. Anything like that happen to any of you guys?

did you guys ask him about his previous training?it seems unlikely that he would be subbing blues and purples right off the bat.in my experience random badasses get wild,get aggresive,get gassed and get subbed(and dont want to tap when they should,and sometimes go to sleep)

The guy was clearly in a hurry for whatever reason and I didn't see him chatting with anyone, but don't get me wrong - I'm not in any way insinuating that he had no experience, he definitly had some training.

It just left an impression on me, random big dude walks in and ends up with some serious skills. I don't think he was anyone's buddy or training partner, he didn't know anybody from what I could tell.

oh ok,my bad,I thought you were getting at an untrained badass coming in and cleaning house.whats blown my mind a lot more is unnasuming guys that end up working everybody over.this guy was probably looking for a new gym and he wanted to see what your gym was all about,i can see how that would be surprizing though lol

Well, if you sub a legit purple, whatever weight you are, or whaterver freakish strong you seems to be, I think you HAVE to have some good training on your shoulders.

That being said, it never happened in my gym... if a random/unknown person want to join class he's welcome, but he must come to the beginning and talk to the instructor. Surely my teacher would not let some random, big dude come in after class and roll like it's nothing. (not criticising to the OP school, it's just how things going on in my academy)

Our school is small and to get on the mat, you have to sign a waiver etc. That was pretty risky for the school to let someone roll without signing a waiver..

When I lived and trained in Colorado Springs, some guys from the U.S. wrestling team showed up and rolled with a bunch of us. If I hadn't known who they were in advance, I would've been pretty confused, as they mopped the mats with all but the very best couple of guys there.

Rodrigo Vaghi, Leo Pecanha, Sidney Silva, Jason Brilz, Abe Wagner....just a few.

When I lived and trained in Colorado Springs, some guys from the U.S. wrestling team showed up and rolled with a bunch of us. If I hadn't known who they were in advance, I would've been pretty confused, as they mopped the mats with all but the very best couple of guys there.

You know, when I first read this I was like "Man, it sucks that some random wrestlers can come into a BJJ gym and just clean house with no BJJ training."

Then when I think about it, it is AMAZING that some U.S. Olympic Caliber (or close to it) wrestlers who have wrestled competitively since they were 5 can come into a BJJ gym and some good club level (assuming these were not pan am champs) BJJ guys can hold their own with them.

A random guy showed up to the gym I use to go to a few months back, he was your sterotypical meat head, when I asked him what he was looking for he responded "I just want to fight". He said this while spitting dip into a cup.

You know, when I first read this I was like "Man, it sucks that some random wrestlers can come into a BJJ gym and just clean house with no BJJ training."

Then when I think about it, it is AMAZING that some U.S. Olympic Caliber (or close to it) wrestlers who have wrestled competitively since they were 5 can come into a BJJ gym and some good club level (assuming these were not pan am champs) BJJ guys can hold their own with them.

Ha, that's true. Of course, they were playing our game, and they were trying to be gentle. From what I remember, our instructor (a Machado brown belt) and a super huge (around 300 pounds) older dude with a ton of grappling experience did okay. I and about everyone else got bent into a pretzel.

Our school is small and to get on the mat, you have to sign a waiver etc. That was pretty risky for the school to let someone roll without signing a waiver..
I've never experienced this, what does it entail?

At my school, people roll their first time without signing anything.

I've never experienced this, what does it entail?

At my school, people roll their first time without signing anything.

Not sure if you're in the U.S. or not, but everyone here is waiver giddy before any type of training/rolling. This is to cover their butts in case someone gets hurt and tries to sue them.

This basically extends to nearly any physical activity that has even the smallest chance of injury.

Litigious society ftw

It happened to me around 2007 I think.....
I had been grappling since early 2005. Anyways I show up at the gym and I see a new guy but didnt pay much attention. Everyone was already grappling so I change into my shorts and warm up a little. Next round is about start and I'm paired up with the new guy. Me = 6'1" 200lbs, him = maybe 5'8" 150lbs. The buzzer rings and he ended up tooling me the whole round. Takedowns at will, submissions at will including this modified rolling/diving toehold I had never seen before, etc etc etc.
His name, Ken Stone. He ended up training at the gym for a while and I had my oldest son learning wrestling from him for a while. I believe he now trains at ATT in FL.

There are a few folks that drop by from time to time that are amazing grapplers but don't compete and don't have "names". It's always pretty cool when that happens because sometimes a completely unexpected ass whupping is more informative and humbling than a whupping that you know you are going to get (say from some high level black belt that everyone knows), if that makes any sense.

Not sure if you're in the U.S. or not, but everyone here is waiver giddy before any type of training/rolling. This is to cover their butts in case someone gets hurt and tries to sue them.

This basically extends to nearly any physical activity that has even the smallest chance of injury.

Litigious society ftw
Ah. Gotcha. No, I'm in Europe. Are lawsuits agains gyms really that common over there?

I have trained over year at this school, and I'm pretty sure that if they wanted me to sign some kind of waiver, they would have given it to me by now.

Lawsuits over anything happen here, like someone winning a lawsuit with McDonalds because their coffee burned them when it spilled in their lap while driving. Court deemed the coffee was exceedingly hot.

There's a matted room where I used to attend college, originally built for TKD and judo. On the weekends we would meet there and roll. Some of us were blue belts, most were decent white belts. Occasionally higher belts would come with one of the blue belts, but it was pretty rare to have anyone past blue belt level. One day some brazilian visited for some reason and proceeded to playfully destroy everyone. I could definitely tell he was awesome, and in broken English he said he was like a postdoc or something and had a brown belt. He taught us a lot.

Back