Anyone had a medical doctor refer them to a chiropractor?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by mb23100, Dec 18, 2016.

1. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Ive been watching videos on chiropractors working. (They're strangely addicting) I gotta say my BS meter is going thru the roof. First off they use big fancy sounding jargon as they work just like i do when im bullshitting managers at my work about why their air conditioning isnt working. Then they also only say what they did AFTER they see the patients reaction just like I do at work when im working on something i dont understand and then all if a sudden to my surprise it starts working. I know people argue about them alot i was wondering if anyone has ever been refered to one by an actual medical doctor.

2. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Sounds like you yourself should become a chiropractor

3. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Cant bullshit a bullshitter

4. JbModest

JbModest Brown Belt

Yeah, subluxation is one of their favorite words. My back doctor said surgery was 50/50 so I decided to use a chiropractor. One of them sent me to the doctor in the first place though by hurting my neck bad. Get references or speak to current clients if possible. The bad ones can really fuck you up.

mb23100 likes this.
  5. GSP_37

GSP_37 Steel Belt

I heard a doctor discourage going to a chiropractor citing possible injury.

Alphafail likes this.
  6. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I have one experience with a chiropractor. I hurt my back and someone recommended me going to the chiro. I was pretty sure it wasn't a serious injury and just a bad strain, so I figured going to a chiro over the doctor was reasonable. One of the dumbest decisions that I've ever made. He worked on me for a while and had me on this machine. He had me in these weird positions that hurt like hell, but he insisted it would help in the long run. He gets done and tells me he can work on me about 5 more times in the next 2 weeks and I'd be better than ever. His whole presentation just seemed off and I blew him off.

The next morning I was still hurting like hell. I got into my doctor and he prescribed me steroids over the next 7 days. I told him what the chiro said and he started busting out laughing. He said that if I did nothing at all, I'd be better in 2 weeks anyhow. The steroids would have me 100% better in 7 days and most likely much sooner. I felt a lot better in 2 days and completely better in 4.

Zanatos333 and TheGZA like this.
  7. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Not surprised. Chiropractors seem to deal with pseudo-science. Albeit, my little research focused more on the opposing view of chiropractic "care", I've heard too many bad experiences. It's hard not to think the support for this "practice" would be a bunch of bullshit.

8. Lubaolong

Lubaolong A natural consequence of gamma radiation

The placebo effect is strong. For a lot of people with somatic complains without any real diagnosable physical ailment, a supportive treatment approach that focuses more on palliative care rather than outright medical treatment is often the best approach.

9. Lubaolong

Lubaolong A natural consequence of gamma radiation

It is a bunch of bullshit, but it's relatively safe and what some people benefit from. Bring back the sugar pills!

10. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

Those chiropractic videos are ridiculous, and should probably be governed by the FDA. If you believe what they tell you, regular chiropractor visits will cure every disease known to man and you’ll live an eternity. I have chronic back issues, and though my Dr has never referred me to a chiropractor, he has told me it’s a good idea. The trick is finding a trustworthy one. I was fortunate to have a number of people suggest a particular chiropractor, and it’s worked out well. It helps a lot with my back pain, and he’s not the type to pressure you to make weekly appointments. He says if you feel okay, don’t come in. But before being referred to this one, my opinion of chiropractors was very poor based on my previous experiences.

11. luv24nic8

luv24nic8 Purple Belt

12. Alphafail

Alphafail Brown Belt

Same here.

I also have a friend who was groped by one.

13. Skarr

Skarr Purple Belt

I personally have never been to visit a chiro, I completely understand the stigma attached to their profession

that being said....

this guy is a chiropractor and a professor of anatomy and is a really good listen concerning a wide range of health topics

https://www.youtube.com/user/johnbchiro/videos

if interested, check out the 40-50min long videos, they are lectures he gives and are really informative

PS the videos are not of him cracking people's backs....

ripskater likes this.
  14. Daniel Fox

Daniel Fox Green Belt

I have been to several chiropractors, there are a few good ones out there but most are charlatans.

15. badascan

badascan Pugnacious Audacious Moral Nihilist Platinum Member

Don't go to doctors and wouldn't go to a chiropractor but look up Dr. John Sarno. He has a different view on back issues...

16. ToxicShocker

ToxicShocker Black Belt

chiropractory or what ever its called is the only Dr degree you can get in like 4 years. Dentists are smarter than these guys

mb23100 likes this.
  17. Daniel Fox

Daniel Fox Green Belt

There are good ones out there, the problem is it is a very poorly regulated Industry. You have Chiropractors who are Physical Therapists or kinesiologists who go back to school and become chiropractors, and then you have these scary holistic medicine chiropractors who are into mystical shit. There isn't really any regulation so you have these nut jobs who get a degree in chiropractic medicine and then do crazy stuff. There are good ones but there are more bad than good.

Badger67 likes this.
  18. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

Having your back and neck cracked is in the top 5 things that feel awesome. It's like

1. Sex
    2. Massage
    3. Having your spine cracked
    4. Nap
    5. Steak

Naps will creep up the rankings as you get older.

All of these things are good for you. None of them will cure your AIDS.

19. Misfit23

Misfit23 Black Belt

Why the hate on dentists? You get a cavity on your last visit?

20. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

You don't realize how high up sleeping should be on the list until you become an insomniac