Anyone get a compression feeling during squats?

HorrorPlease

Green Belt
Reaction score
So anytime I squat, I do my best to keep my lower back arched and keep a deep breath held low for support as I do the rep, but regardless, I seem to get a compressed feeling in my lower back. Does this happen to anyone else? The reason I worry is because I have a broken L5, and the last thing I want to do is start stacking on weight with shit form and really messing my back up.

Breathing is the key. But also you need to develop other core muscles to get the proper squat. Squats, dead lifts and chin ups are the most basic in one sense, but the most technical. Start low and get a personal trainer to help with the basic technique. My trainer sees something wrong every time I do a squat - the devil is in the details.

Not sure about the feeling you describe, I don't think I feel that, so can't really address that.

About your form, the best way to ensure you have proper form is to record yourself squatting and post it up for critiques, or even just critique yourself to see how your form looks.

If you're familiar with how proper squat form should look, just compare your own videos to how it should be and you'll have a good indication of what you need to work on or fix.

do other exercises for your back. Do you do any?

Goodmornings/RDL/Kettlebell swings. My favorite sumo deadlift high pull.

Ab exercises ab rollers I like them I really like doing them to the sides.

Teach your body to open upwards hence why I like the press so much.

Exhale ever so slightly while doing the squat makes it easier on you. might help a bit. just a little hiss.

I'm overseas and can't get anything hosted, but when I get back, I'll record my squats for critiquing. I do deadlifts, chin/pull ups, push ups, bench press, inverted rows, and planks as well. So I'm sure I'm getting a good core exercise. And for the person who doesn't get what I mean: The best way to describe it is if you were to lock your arms out with a very heavy weight above head. After some time, you'd get a compressed feeling, almost as though the weight were condensing your bones.

Its probably a form issue, I had what I think was a similar feeling while trying to goodmorning the weight and when I put the bar way too low

Oh, and most personal trainers suck, if you gonna ask one about your form, it better be an exceptional case.

Come on dude; are you seriously trying to say you casually stroll into the gym and start doing squats with a broken lumbar vertebra?

Come on dude; are you seriously trying to say you casually stroll into the gym and start doing squats with a broken lumbar vertebra?

Casually? Hardly. I've spent tons of time watching videos on form to try to do my best to protect my back. I'm just not sure if my form is breaking down as I add more weight. I really don't think it is, though.

Maybe you're bending over too much in the hole? Try doing a more upright squat and see how it goes.

I have an L5-S1 herniation, and it is for this compression type feeling that I no longer squat heavy.

You should really video your form from the side at least to see what is going wrong.

We or anyone else can't critique your form if we can't see it.

^seconded. without the vid critiques are tough to do

^ You should also build yourself up 1) with minimal weight, don't go heavy and break yourself again 2) build yourself up with "other" / supporting exercises?

You should stay the fuck away from a squat rack if you currently have a broken back.

You should stay the fuck away from a squat rack if you currently have a broken back.

Well, it's not like I can ice it, stay off it, and it'll heal in 8-10 weeks. This is something I'll live with for the rest of my life. Not like I'm the first person to try squats with a busted back. I just need to figure out if what's happening is something negative, or just something I'll have to live with. It's not like it stays that way for ages. It goes away in maybe 5 seconds.

Dude. Stop squatting. Go see a physio or something. Find out if you can squat...

Back