Anyone from O.C. Who has time to help Newb Out.

ILoveSakuraba

Jesus was a Sailor
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello, I've never taken bjj or any fightsports or any sports before even. I would like to start training bjj. if anyone lives around here and would like to recommend a good place to train i'd be happy to hear it. I don't want to pay like an outrageous ammount for some crappy place. If you could take me in for like an intro or a session that woudl be even better. There are quite a few places and i thought it would be rude to just walk in an demand to sit in on a lesson. thanks. You can pm me if anyone is interested in making a friend.

ILoveSakuraba said:
There are quite a few places and i thought it would be rude to just walk in an demand to sit in on a lesson.

That's why you call them first. But some clubs don't mind, as long as you explain to them that you would like to sit in because you are a potential student.

SEriously that seems like common sense, but It totally slipped my mind. I'm very shy and don't go out much.

Oh man... I've posted so many times about the OC BJJ/MMA training scene. Unfortunately, something seems to be wrong with the search function cause I can't find any of those old posts. Sigh... In any case... the best thing for you to do is to go out these facilities and make up your own mind. Here's what the OC BJJ/MMA scene looks like:

1) Gracie Barra USA- Located in Lake Forest. Two stories although the actual training space isn't huge. Probably the most expensive BJJ instruction in OC but you get to train with Marcio Feitosa, Carlos Gracie Jr. (when in town), "Piu Piu", Pe de Pano (when in town), etc... Not to mention the various BJJ celebrities who walk into the facility from time to time to visit and train (Gordo, Margarida, Roger and Renzo Gracie, etc...)

2) Ralph Gracie OC- Reasonably priced. Located across the street from Cal State Fullerton. All classes taught by Ralph's Black Belt Brad Jackson. I believe that a Ryan Gracie Black Belt is an assistant instructor right now at this facility.

3) Tinguinha's BJJ- This is where I train. It is located in Anaheim. Small facility. Close knit group of guys. Solid competition team and very reasonable prices. All classes taught by Gracie Barra Black Belt Mauricio "Tinguinha" Mariano.

4) No Limits- MMA facility in Irvine where Rampage trains. Big new facility with lots of heavy bags, a cage, and a ring. Offers instruction in Muay thai, BJJ, MMA, and cardio boxing. Guys seemed nice when I visited. However, when I visited I found that there weren't too many higher belts to train with at this facility. The prices seemed very reasonable to me.

5) Cleber Luciano's- Located in Huntington Beach. Cleber is a Royler/Rickson Black Belt who has a very solid competition team. He runs the annual Copa Pacifica tournament in Orange County. Lots of people despise Cleber due to allegations of biased judging at this tournament. I've heard that his prices are also very reasonable.

6) OC Kickboxing- Nice facility located in Costa Mesa. Two rooms with decent mat space and lots of heavy bags and a ring. Prices are expensive from what I can recall. They offer instruction in JKD and Cleber Luciano drops by to teach their BJJ classes. They seem like a nice group of guys and have a lot of hot women working out in their cardio kickboxing classes.

7) LA Boxing- Facilities located throughout OC (Aliso Viejo, Fullerton, Costa Mesa, Yorba Linda). Chain of MMA fitness gyms. They primarily offer instruction in boxing and kickboxing. Some BJJ is offered at the Aliso Viejo facility (taught by BTT member Alan Goes). I consider their prices to be cheap. However, they have uneven instruction from facility to facility, instructor to instructor. They have good instructors and really bad ones. You've got to find one that works for you.

8) Chris Brennan's Next Generation- MMA training with Pride veteran Chris Brennan. Focus on a lot of no gi BJJ work and they offer classes in muay thai and wrestling. Classes are taught by either Chris or another member of his Next Generation fight team. Prices are reasonable for this area. They are located in Lake Forest.

9) Apex Jiu-jitsu- Located in Mission Viejo. All classes taught by former Next Generation fight team member Jeremy Williams. Reasonable prices. They offer classes in no gi BJJ and muay thai. I've never been to this facility but have heard that they have a solid group of guys training there.

10) Global Jiu-jitsu- 3 Joe Moreira Black belt instructors here. New facility in Costa Mesa. Supposedly a good group of guys and lots of personal attention. No idea about pricing.

11) Joe Moreira- Located in Newport Beach. Seems like Joe has pumped out more BJJ black belts in CA then anyone else. Infamous for giving Kimo his black belt, Joe has nonetheless produced some solid BJJ competitors. No idea about his pricing.

There are tons of more BJJ facilities around this area. Hopefully the information I posted helps you out. The best advice is to go try out all the ones close to your location. If you want to come try out Tinguinha's. Give me a PM and I can bring you in some time.

oh shit, that's come great info guys. Question: Where do you guys train? And what is the price range for inexpensive to expensive.

10) Global Jiu-jitsu- 3 Joe Moreira Black belt instructors here. New facility in Costa Mesa. Supposedly a good group of guys and lots of personal attention. No idea about pricing.

my choice :D. Oh, there are 3 official BB teachers there, and 3-4 other BB's under Joe who train there regularly.

There are a lot of schools in Costa Mesa, it seems like. this area is where I'm looking to be potentially training in. Are there a lot of rivalry among the schools?

is 100$ good for two times a week? for a month?

sounds average to high. I pay 100/month for unlimited classes at Global JJ

100 souds good for unlimited. can anyone get that deal or are you like special? (as in good buddies with them)

Haha. Nah, that's standard price over at global jiu-jitsu. And well worth it, honestly. I'm sure the other gyms in the area are pretty good, but I can highly recommend global. Places tend to have an uneven balance of quality training partners and cool people, but global jiu-jitsu is definitely an exception. Everyone there is out to help you get better, and they're more than capable of kicking your ass at will. Stop in and check it out.

100 for twice a week sounds high to me.. I pay 90 for unlimited classes a month.

ILoveSakuraba:

You have a lot to choose from in your area. Take the time to make a visit to sit in, free, at several of the schools. DON'T sign a contract, whatever you pay, make it month-to-month. I'm in the North County San Diego area, but have visited some of the places in your area. I'm up there about once a month.

I've been involved with BJJ/MMA for about six years, and have trained with several instructors and schools in that time. I'd be happy to give you some advice on selecting a school, if you want to email me. Also, I'm probably just about 75 minutes away from you. I have mats, a few new guys train here each week. It doesn't cost anything, and I can give you an intro. on the mats.

Good luck.

[email protected]

Theres Also BTT Long Beach and I herd there resonably Priced and it wont hurt to even Check Out The Gracie Jiu Jitsu Acadmey in torrance

SLaKKJaW said:
Haha. Nah, that's standard price over at global jiu-jitsu. And well worth it, honestly. I'm sure the other gyms in the area are pretty good, but I can highly recommend global. Places tend to have an uneven balance of quality training partners and cool people, but global jiu-jitsu is definitely an exception. Everyone there is out to help you get better, and they're more than capable of kicking your ass at will. Stop in and check it out.

You train at Global Slak?

ColtonS said:
100 for twice a week sounds high to me.. I pay 90 for unlimited classes a month.

Training at Rickson's academy is around that price. Rofl.

- J.

Back