Anyone feel sympathy for Benson after this?

He could have just as easily won that decision and I don't think anyone can really complain since he's been on the other side of the coin in many other close fights.

The most telling thing about the guy is that he has faced a who's who of the best guys at 155 and he's had a close fight with almost all of them. Seriously- he's been in thoroughly competitive fights with Edgar, Melendez, Cerrone, Thomson, and Pettis (back in WEC- anyway). None of these guys outclassed him- the closest thing to that was the second Pettis fight. And RDA put him away in short order but that fight told us more that RDA has power and nothing really about a regression in skill since there was so little to see.

If anything, I think the most troubling aspect for me is that Ben seems to still find himself into these fights where he sort of fights to the pace the opponent helps set. This was his first three rounder in years so I fully expected him to be more aggressive and take more chances and push the pace like he did against Jim Miller and Guida. But it didn't happen.

Bendo of today is far more confident in his standup than the WEC version but I think he's also more risk averse and that diminishes his effectiveness to an extent. I remember the first Cerrone fight, he would gladly shoot in on a takedown even though he knew he'd be giving Cowboy his neck and risking getting subbed. He was confident in his defense and in his ground and pound. He didn't shoot a single takedown tonight- to me, in a close fight, not attempting to take a guy down when you have been able to take him down in the past is a sure sign of problematic strategizing.

Hell, Cerrone is a better wrestler now by far than he was then- for all I know Ben would be stuffed- but there was not a single attempt. Strange.

I felt bad for Benson.. There was a few decisions tonight that were a little off. After the fight, Cowboy looked like he felt he lost and Benson like he won. I wasn't scoring, but I felt that Benson was getting the better of Donald for the majority of the fight. Bensons problem is the fights are always too close, and unless you're finishing, you're rolling the dice. He had at least one fight against Frankie that could have been scored the other way, and some others where the dice rolled his way. I hope he wins he next bout.

On the other hand, stoked for Cowboy. Title shot?

People hate him because he's black ... it's just like with Jones

(Sarcasm)

And, yes, I know he's half-Korean

I lean towards him winning this fight, but Cerrone won their first fight and Henson got the decision. He's gotten a lot of bad decisions.

Cerrone-Henson IV needs to happen. 5 rounds.

The booing was a bit much but other than that.... his "god above all blah blah" speech made me laugh. Glad he lost.

Tonight's fight was pretty much a glorified sparring session. Neither one of them went for broke or tried to push the pace and finish the fight. They both had full gas tanks at the end of the fight. Neither one of them should complain about anything. That being said I had Cowboy winning. Henderson needs to man up and quit acting like a baby whenever he loses a close decision. Lord knows he's got the benefit of the doubt more than a few times.

Benson gets a bad wrap. He lost to Melendez and that's it. He lost today too.

that's not the only fight he lost
point fighter loses people don't care remember Frankie crying when he lost people didnt care then either
in fact I would say that people take great joy when point fighter loses unless he is your favorite point fighter then he got robbed

I had Cowboy winning 1 and 2, Bendo winning 3, but man, how can anyone call this a robbery? Just like their first fight, it could have gone either way, you could argue with any of the rounds. I gave Cowboy the first fight as well, but I wasn't pissed that Ben got the nod in that one, and it certainly wasn't a robbery, any more than this one was. I felt Ben landed more in this fight, but Cowboy landed better shots and got the takedowns.

Prime example of robbery. That Pendred UD as well. UFC becoming WWE, is normal.

match him up with Tibau and stick them on the prelims :D

yeah I do, guy got robbed in front of millions of people

took it like a man though

Nope, had Cowboy winning a very close fight.

Tonight's fight was pretty much a glorified sparring session. Neither one of them went for broke or tried to push the pace and finish the fight. They both had full gas tanks at the end of the fight. Neither one of them should complain about anything. That being said I had Cowboy winning. Henderson needs to man up and quit acting like a baby whenever he loses a close decision. Lord knows he's got the benefit of the doubt more than a few times.

Uhm, he didn't complain nor did he act like a baby. Then again, I'm not surprised that you'd say that since you made a ridiculous statement in the very first sentence.

Uhm, he didn't complain nor did he act like a baby. Then again, I'm not surprised that you'd say that since you made a ridiculous statement in the very first sentence.

Maybe one day when you take Bensons nuts out of your mouth you'll be able to see he didn't leave it all in the Octagon. Furthermore he jumped up and down like a child not getting his way after the decision was anounced and was mumbling under his breath during the whole interview with Joe. It certainly wasn't the epitome of class.

Back