anyone familiar with cutting weight?

Jeremygp24

White Belt
Reaction score
dont really wanna get flamed but is anyone good with judging someones body fat?

last year i wrestled 140s but I got fatter over off season and now I'm around 152

am I fat enough to cut around 10 pounds of fat?

last year I had a lot of success not dehydrating and wrestling with the weight i walk around in because it kept me full of energy, so I would prefer I wouldnt..

I just wanna set a goal on what I should aim for so I cut weight in a good pace, not weakening myself..

185832.jpg

185947.jpg

would aiming for 145s be a better choice?

Might I direct you to the D+S subforum. Located there is a faq, in this faq there is a thread advising how to cut weight before comp.

Also...WTF, man? This is S+C, not ratemybody.com...

You're probably no higher than 12%. If that were the case, then at 152, you have about 18 pounds of fat. If you cut 10 pounds of fat, that would put you to 142 pounds with 8 pounds of fat, which is a little over 5% bodyfat. Getting to 5% bodyfat is a lot of work.

The trick, of course, is that it isn't just bodyfat that you can cut, but the amount of water that you are retaining in your body. A gallon of water is about 8 pounds, so dehydration can cut a significant amount of weight, though possibly at the price of your health (or your life if you really screw up).

If you're not experienced with cutting weight, I'd try at least dropping to 145 from the 152 class. It'll at least give you an idea of how it affects your performance, while only taking maybe 1 night worth of easy cutting.

Be warned I'm a former NY wrestler, so your weight classes may vary as we're a renegade state with regards to the national rules.

You could make 140, but you'd probably have to cut 2-3 pounds of water weight before each meet.

If I were you, I would wrestle at 140. When I was wrestling, I walked around at about 155 in the off season, and I wrestled at 130. I was very lean, and had to cut about 8 lbs of water for every meet. However, that is how competitive high school wrestling is in Pennsylvania...

see how your body reacts to practice and eat clean. If you start dropping and feel good with 140 go for it, but personally I would go with 145. I personally dont miss chewing tobacco all day trying to get rid of water weight and barely eating to make weight.

I always cut weight the wrong way. crash dieting is not your friend

your 14-16% body fat. Try the warrior diet, it's not very popular on this forum but, I have had great success with it in wrestling, judo, power lifting etc.

If you've been at 140 before, I don't see why you couldn't get there again unless you grew in height.

Eat well and train hard. See where your weight ends up. When I wrestled, 10 years ago, you could start the season in one weight class and move classes later on. You just had to have more than half of your matches at the class you intend to compete at districts, regionals and state.

If that is still the case, I would wrestle a few weeks at 145 and see if 140 seems easy enough to make.

If you've been at 140 before, I don't see why you couldn't get there again unless you grew in height.

Highschool kids grow. I think it would be rare to compete in the same class two seasons in a row.

Highschool kids grow. I think it would be rare to compete in the same class two seasons in a row.

Maybe, maybe not. He alluded to his weight gain being from sitting around in the off-season. Honestly, it looks like he could lose 10 lbs IMO. He's fat as shit.

Back