Anyone ever opened a pizza business?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It's a lucrative business and with all the pizza franchise's screwing people over now a days its not bad to have ones own pizza shop and you can exercise creativity and have your own recipe.

One thing is, pizza will never go out of style.
20200111_074637.jpg

c8a4a30cf7b805845de7ab8949bde096.gif

Opening a restaurant is usually one of the worst business decisions a person can make.

It's a lucrative business and with all the pizza franchise's screwing people over now a days its not bad to have ones own pizza shop and you can exercise creativity and have your own recipe.

One thing is, pizza will never go out of style.
View attachment 710691
Safe bet is if you're in a college town.

This is an oddly specific thread.

In this day and age, you need to have a niche. I know a guy who owns one, but it has a buffet. Their pizza is pretty good for cheap pizza. I know another one getting ready to open that is a brick oven gourmet one with a great beer selection. I'm hoping that does ok. Just an average pizza place without some sort of niche will not compete well with chains.

I delivered pizzas in High School. My boss would open one, close it after two years, then open another one. This went on for like 10 years. I never understood it.

Safe bet is if you're in a college town.

I don't know if it's still there at Penn State (though I'd imagine it is) but I remember there being a nondescript building on the corner of College Ave. Somebody was selling hundreds (if not thousands) of slices of pizza through a signless window on the corner. Thousands of dollars a night.

But there is also a "dead spot" on my local strip where a pizzeria, s seafood restaurant, a BBQ joint, a Thai place, and others all failed.

Opening a restaurant is usually one of the worst business decisions a person can make.

My family owns a restaurant and it's very successful and yet I agree with you.

Our business would not work if it wasn't done with reliable family members. That and finding good staff is very difficult.

Pizza business is easier than a restaurant unless the pizza business is specifically designed for fine dining restaurant which is too much stress.

A friend of mine had 2 pizza restaurants in Spain and made good money.

Had to come back to Argentina because of his wife and now he wants to kill himself.

The secret according him was in the quality of the ingredients (basically don't be a cheap fuck) and in optimize the time. He made the dough the day before and had 200/300 trays with the pizzas ready to throw in the oven.

My buddies dad had one years ago it was pretty successful He sold it and retired . Last year he decided to try it again now he's struggling and burning money. You just never really know with this type of thing.

A friend of mine had 2 pizza restaurants in Spain and made good money.

Had to come back to Argentina because of his wife and now he wants to kill himself.

The secret according him was in the quality of the ingredients (basically don't be a cheap fuck) and in optimize the time. He made the dough the day before and had 200/300 trays with the pizzas ready to throw in the oven.

Why does he want to kill himself? Was the marriage bad?

Anyways I agree with him with the ingredients. People are not stupid and they can recognize great food. Good quality ingredient makes a huge ass different.

Good advice!

There is a local pizza parlor that I frequent, I like it...

No, I haven’t.

However, I know of a guy who runs a Great Scott’s pizza in my city and I haven’t been there to eat in 6 years. I went in there 6 years ago and when going to the salad bar there were a bunch of nats flying around the black olives, immediate turn off. The owner also practices instead of a regular lunch buffet where you pay a price and get all you can eat pizza where you can go up and grab a slice of this or that;he will make you a personal pizza and when you finish that he will make another I believe. Kind of wack if you ask me. There are no windows in parlor, has a dark, dungeon feel to it. 2 friends of mine worked there. Both said the guy isn’t making to much revenue, he owes the IRS $8000.00, but doesn’t want to try anything different to get more people in the joint. Like make a large pizza slice it up into slivers and go stand out front of the local Trader Joe’s and promote to a different demographic. One of my friends thinks he money laundering. Did I mention he’s Iranian?

Why does he want to kill himself? Was the marriage bad?

Anyways I agree with him with the ingredients. People are not stupid and they can recognize great food. Good quality ingredient makes a huge ass different.

Good advice!
I'm guessing he sold his business & is sucking dicks for cash in Buenos Aires.

Back