Anyone ever had a Type 2 AC shoulder separation?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Any tips on rest and recovery? Just RICE? I know this should go in another forum, but it leads me to my next question.

Would you feel comfortable competing in a tournament like the No-Gi Pans (September 28th) if the injury occured last night (September 18th?)

2. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

No. But that sounds terrible man. Good luck with the recovery.

3. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

It's actually not as painful as it sounds. It hurts, but I'm not miserable. I kind of feel dumb making this thread now. Feel free to delete it if you like.

4. Patrick F Carey

Patrick F Carey Green Belt

I had this injury in rugby, basically I got jumped on while being on my side and both my shoulders touched themselves in front of me. the recovery was 6 months, yours doesn't sound as bad though

5. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

I mean it sounds like it is a sucky injury. My dad had a total shoulder separation and it apparently didn't hurt much at all but the shoulder was completely separated and bulged up.

Shoulders, necks, and knees are just not made for intensive grappling training. You gotta be very careful with them.

6. bleaK

bleaK Blue Belt

I'm not sure I'd compete so soon, but you know your body..

7. JJWrestler

JJWrestler Blue Belt

Yea I tore mine as well. I think the Doc told me it was a 4 or 5. Took two weeks off. Tried physical therapy but wasn't feeling it. Back in the gym halfway through week 2. Took it easy but it started loosening up after 3 weeks.

Got the bump on the shoulder about and inch above the muscle. Hurt like hell when I did it. Still bothers me sometimes. I use it as a weapon to dig into the body when I am passing.

Edit: Just looked it up. It was a type 3.

8. SD619BJJ

SD619BJJ White Belt

shoulders and knees are the worst engineer parts of the human body. I had a small tear in my labrum of my shoulder and it took a few months to heal and that was with advanced healing tatics.
    I would advise not to do the tournament.

9. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

I had one. I was out about 4-6 weeks. Personally I would not compete. My philosophy on injury is to make sure it does not get worse. Returning too soon can turn your grade 2 to a grade 3. If that happens 4-6 weeks becomes surgery and 10 weeks.

I am no doctor, just a forum guy so take it all with a very large grain of salt.

10. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

I've separated my shoulder but never saw a doctor about it so I dunno to what degree it was separated, but 10 days would not have been enough time off for me. It was very sore for the first 7 days and I was barely able to raise my arm during that time. I don't think I got full range of motion back until maybe 2 weeks and even after that, there were still some uncomfortable positions for a while.

I believe keeping the joint immobilized should help recovery in addition to RICe.

TS is right about the pain, too. It hurts, but it's not terrible. I've dislocated my shoulder and that was much, much worse.

11. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Quoting this for truth.
    Don't do that tournament yet; live to fight another day.

12. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

I had a level 1 AC shoulder separation. Took forever to heal cause I didn't stop training. Ice, and do some rehab movements when the shoulder feels better. Good luck man.

13. domman24

domman24 White Belt

I did this at the beginning of the year off a td with my teammate. I came back a week later but any time any pressure was put near the shoulder there was an unbearable pain, and now my shoulder looks permanently messed up.

14. jujijimmy

jujijimmy Blue Belt

I have had the same injury, i was out for months, forget about competing. rest is the only cure.

15. Musheen

Musheen Orange Belt

This exact thing happened to me during a rugby game, except my collarbone popped out up to my neck.

16. Anthas

Anthas Yellow Belt

Got what must have been a grade 1 in my left shoulder and took 4 weeks off... came back just feeling a little sore and had the exact same thing happen to my other shoulder... this time it took 8 weeks and rehab (I guess the second one must have benn a grade 2). I didn't get the lump on my shoulder in any of the two cases... I say rest and take care of yourself... The good thing is that I've been told that it's not a recurrent injury and it shouldn't affect you in the future...

17. JJWrestler

JJWrestler Blue Belt

Except for the arthiritus (sp) when you are older. And if you have a Type 3 then the shoulder blade is set in a different spot in your back and could push the muscle the wrong way.

18. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

How the hell do you heal a torn labrum? At best you can build up the muscles around it (or get surgery). Surgery is shit.