anyone ever got caught in medium intensity zone?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
Am in weird a situation during my fight prep (5th week into my block before tapering), maybe some of the experience heads here can chip in.

I'm currently stuck in this medium intensity zone were id have to push hard on my easy days to hit 130bpm-140bpm, and on my hard days I eventually struggle keeping my HR up at 170-180bpm during threshold and during sports specific interval work.

Now I'm not sure if the cause of this can be

A) relying only fibrous carbs (fruits and veggies) as my main carb source over the few weeks (trying to lose weight) which led me to be chronically muscle glycogen depleted.

B) conditioning got better over time and hitting 130-140bpm would require moderate effort thus making easy day a medium day.

C) too much l.i.s.s

D) inadequte recovery and/or combination of some of these or all.

Routine below

Mon (hard)
am: drills - l.i.s.s 120mins
Pm: bag work, pads, sparring - threshold, h.i.t.t; 2-3hrs

Tues (easy)
am: drills - l.i.s.s 120mins
Pm: jog/bike - l.i.s.s 60mins

Thurs(hard)
am: bag work, pads, sparring - threshold, h.i.t.t 2hrs

Fri (easy)
am: drills, l.i.s.s 120mins
pm: jog/bike 60-90mins

--------------------------

I just recently upped my carbs and used starches. Its a little better on my easy days but I'm struggling on my hard days

What happens Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday?

Is medium zone like the friend zone? If so, it so totally sucks.

130-140 is not the medium zone.

Your intensity zones are based on your VO2max/max heart rate. An adaptation of doing all that LISS is a lower resting heart rate. So your target heart rate zones could be lower than you are expecting them to be.

Yeah when you get a chance to set aside some testing weeks, you may want to retest your max HR, do a modified coopers test to get rough idea of where your vo2 max cadence is, and maybe a wingate test.

If you're having a hard time targeting HR, targeting based on power production or pace is also doable.

You're trying to lose weight and not sprinting? I would highly recommend eating more carbs on your hard days and just adding some sprints for maximal fat loss:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2012/480467/

If I need to lose weight, once I start adding some sprinting the fat just falls off. I lost 25 legit lbs in 8 weeks doing this leading up to a major BJJ competition (I actually lost a lot more weight than I meant to) while still eating decently, though I did watch my caloric intake.

Back