Anyone ever figure out why the Colby/Usman fight was stopped?

Why was it stopped for minutes after a clean knee to Usman's midsection?

Why was it stopped to end the fight when Colby was nowhere near done?

Did we ever get an explanation?
Because some fighters try to fake a groin shot for a legal strike to the midsection to get their air back. Which would have been a TKO/KO if they didn't do that. It's cheating and has caused some fighters losing a win because of it.

Because Colby got dropped, was getting the shit beat out of him and ate 10+ full blast hammerfists with pretty much no defense.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
/thread except in exceptions of delusion

Really good as in really awful.

Bad stoppage.

Goddard has quickly become the worst ref in MMA.

And Herb Dean is right up there in second place.

Colby would lose regardless. They were 2-2 until the last round, and no judge was gonna give Colby the last round after being dropped twice. Wouldn’t make a difference in the fight, but certainly saved Colby from some punishment.

Because some fighters try to fake a groin shot for a legal strike to the midsection to get their air back. Which would have been a TKO/KO if they didn't do that. It's cheating and has caused some fighters losing a win because of it.

Colby faked in that fight too, so let’s not pretend he was some saint.

broken jaw, down on ground getting hit FLUSH in the jaw 10 straight times?

Probably saved Colby's career. Can't train when you can't eat solid food for the rest of your life.

Colby would lose regardless. They were 2-2 until the last round, and no judge was gonna give Colby the last round after being dropped twice. Wouldn’t make a difference in the fight, but certainly saved Colby from some punishment.

Irrelevant.

The stoppage was bad.

<LikeReally5>

Anyone ever figure out why Colby ran away and hid backstage instead of showing a modicum of sportsmanship and standing for the decision like 99.9999% of fighters manage to do?

Your username and this question make me wonder if mma is the sport for you or if you understand what you are seeing in the cage.

Is every thread in the heavies a troll thread or what?

I don't see the argument for it being early honestly. Have a lot of fights gone later? Sure. Could this have gone later? Yeah, it could've and it would've been fine. But bias aside, I don't think it's an early stoppage, it's a totally acceptable one for me. TJ vs CCC was an early stoppage by Goddard imo, not this one. Here TJ barely gets hit with 2 or 3 ground punches and is actively moving and turning around, plus it's the 1st round. In that fight Colby got dropped hard twice, it was the 5th rd, visible damage and fatigue, was completely static, and just eating 12 undefended punches. I don't get the argument for early stoppage.

ForthrightSameIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

You missed the part where he was dropped once before this and face planted nearly with a heap of strikes. This was the second scramble after getting dropped like this in quick succession.

I agree it was early IMO though

You missed the part where he was dropped once before this and face planted nearly with a heap of strikes. This was the second scramble after getting dropped like this in quick succession.

I agree it was early IMO though

Yeah, true, the extra context makes it slightly more understandable, but still early imo. Esp considering that it was 30" into rd 1.

I agree

Usman would have won anyways but it was a terrible stoppage. Colby clearly had not given up

Because Colby was doing nothing but holding on and get punched, hoping not to die.

Stoppage was fine you lil bitch. Usman kicked his ass. I would’ve been happy to watch Usman cave his skull in for a few more seconds but oh well.

Here’s a gif of Colbie pretending he got poked in the eye after getting rocked;

f5L1JEh.gif
in the slow mo that right hand looks absolutely brutal. watching strikes in real-time we can't fully appreciate how hard some of the punches and kick land

Obviously because Marc Goddard is a liberal, no other possible explanation

Back