Anyone ever felt that there getting worse at bjj

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by raines513, Aug 4, 2010.

1. raines513

raines513 Blue Belt

The past few week, right after I got from vacation I feel like I have
    gotten worse at bjj. I've been subbed more often and have been getting sub'ed
    by people that were not able to sub me a month ago, I'm a little bang up
    and have a competition Saturday so I don't know if I'm just doubting
    myself but I feel like I have regressed. Has anyone ever felt like this has
    happened to you?

2. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I felt like that right after I got my brown belt. My training just felt like it sucked for months after that. What got me out of it was figuring out the problem (I was spending too much time "thinking" and trying to figure stuff out and over focus on details) and then taking steps to solve it (improved my conditioning and spent some time just rolling hard with the best guys I could find). Then I feel like I started to make headway again.

I tend to over train a lot as well, which creates this problem for me from time to time as well. Usually a short vacation fixes that for me.

3. cannabody

cannabody Brown Belt

U took a vacation and need to refocus into bjj. Same thing happens with most sports u take a break and regress.

4. West-206

West-206 Green Belt

How long was your vacation? Maybe switch up your training...start rolling with different people. Also, maybe your body is getting burned out from training too hard.

5. raines513

raines513 Blue Belt

I was on vacation about 8 days, also I train about 5 to 6 days a week. I can see me getting burned out even though I don't feel burned out.

6. MisterRay

MisterRay Orange Belt

Last two months I have been going to class consistently as usual, yet it feels like I've been getting worse. It's not that I get caught in a submission. I'm being controlled more easily and the sweeps and subs I usually get just don't work anymore. I figure it's just others getting wise to my game, but even when I try experimenting with open guard it gets smashed through rather easily. Hopefully it's all in my head, I'll find out next tournament I go to lol

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I recently increased my training from 3 days a week to 5 days a week. After four days in a row of training, I feel like I've gotten worse, but there's no way I could actually be getting worse from training more. I think it's just because I'm tired. Also I changed gyms when I moved about two months ago so maybe my new training partners are starting to figure out my game and how to shut it down.

I kind of feel like I'm starting to hit that long mid-blue belt plateau as well. I understand that purple belts are still better than I am, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why and what I can do about it. All I know is that I need more repetitions.

8. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Imo, it is very possible to get worse when you train more. Especially if your body is not prepared for the extra work load and also if you do not have a clear plan for improvement. Over training and burnout is very easy to do both physically and mentally in any sport.

9. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I felt like I was a good run for a while, but started taking my diet a bit to strict in order to cut down to a certain weight. I was feeling more sluggish during rolling which made me leave class feeling like I did not perform well. Soon after I got injured and it really made me feel like crap trying to work around the injury.

I guess the morale of my story would be to make sure you eat correctly because improper dieting can only last so long before you hurt yourself, or your training.

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah it's rough on my body, makes it harder to get up in the morning, but I can tell that I'm adapting well already. My cardio has improved a lot.

Any suggestions for what constitutes a good "clear plan for improvement"?

At the Gracie-Barra place where I train, our classes are like
    15 minute warmup
    15 min drilling a self-defense technique or takedown
    30 min drilling a basic ground technique and two variations of it
    45 min position specific sparring (e.g. start in closed guard and just try to pass or sweep, but no submissions allowed)
    15 min open mat sparring (by this point a lot of people are too tired to roll)

It's a good workout but I feel like there's not a whole lot of time in there to work on specific stuff that I personally think I need to work on, because the class is so structured. Do I just need to bug the hell out of the purple and brown belts with my questions right after class?

11. Oak

Oak 栄誉

Redaxe, I think it is very cool that they give you so much time to work on drilling. It is very strange though that they only give 15 minutes of free sparring.

At my school the beginners classes have position specific sparring similar to what you mentioned. The advanced classes have 45 minutes of 5 minute rounds, free sparring. Different partner mandatory every new round.

They have only around 20-30 minutes of technique in both classes, and the drilling amount is very limited. From everything I am reading part of me wishes they had more time focused on drilling.

12. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

We have a 2 hours open mats on Saturday.

During weekly class hours, we have about 30 minutes of free roll.

However, it is common that the instructor pairs up people.

13. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah my current instructor is very big on drilling and positional sparring. He doesn't seem to think that free sparring is all that important. We do a solid hour of it during our Saturday competition team classes, but the emphasis in our academy is clearly on drilling and what he calls "specific training."

Again, I think it's good for building fundamentals, but it gives less freedom to work on the stuff I feel like I'm struggling with in my personal game.

This is a big change from the place where I used to train, where it was just like stretch for 10 minutes, drill for 20 minutes, then free roll for 45 minutes to an hour.

14. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I've had that feeling lately, but I think that it's really because I'm trying more things.

I'm still new at a school, but I've been there long enough to have established myself as something other than a complete noob....so they hold nothing back and I'm trying everything new I can (to show them that I take and follow instruction).

15. Oak

Oak 栄誉

The more I think about it the more I think it makes sense that a person can learn and remember things better doing them that way.

When I free roll I have to do my best to force the positions/subs I want to work on and hope I can get a few chances in. I feel like if I was able to drill things more I would be able to retain them better. Oh well.