Anyone ever encountered a traditional martial artist that hates MMA?

The major problem I see is the Martial Arts noob who watched UFC 1-3 and thinks "that karatekungfukwondosoobahkwingchunpofu don't work". When in fact its proven its effectiveness for centuries. At first, observers concluded that BJJ was the only useful art, then they witnessed the usefulness of wrestling, then Muay Thai, then came Boxing, then came judo, and karate, and Sanda. In 10 years there's no telling what style may be utlized effectively in the cage.

Actually funnily you should mention that my Dad was telling me at the dinner table today that one of his patients was a 3rd Dan Taekwondo instructor and my Dad told him I was interested in MMA and he went off on how brutal MMA is and that they aren't real mmartists.

actually kyokushin was officially founded 1957, with a earlier, unnamed, proto-style being started up 1953. What was founded 1964 was the international organization, which was necessary because there was so many kyokushin dojos around.
but whatever.

What annoys me is that you say that kyokushin was created to make karate more similar to MT. That is so wrong that it is stunning.
Kyokushin was created because the founder and a group of likeminded liked to sparr and sparr hard. They didnt get to do that as much as they wanted in the goju ryu dojo they belonged to earlier, as that focused more and more on point sparring.

and when was MT founded?

Actually funnily you should mention that my Dad was telling me at the dinner table today that one of his patients was a 3rd Dan Taekwondo instructor and my Dad told him I was interested in MMA and he went off on how brutal MMA is and that they aren't real mmartists.

your dad is a white belt at life

I know LOTS of TMA'ist...very few of them like MMA. I am a bit of an oddity....I enjoy both. There is definately a place for TMA"s. Just a small study of the top ten P4P'ers shows a pretty good representation for having a TMA base (regardless of style). Its really the same old "dichatimist thinking" delima: Is it this or that? Is it hot or cold? Very few individuals are evolved enough to think in a manner that involves shades of grey and not always simple black and white answers.

Some hot chick I work with is a traditional karate practicer and she keeps saying how MMA is trash because there is no technique, just punching and wrestling. Shit pisses me off too, because she is VERY opinionated.

This kind of argument has been around since I started

My dumb ass next door neighbor trains shaolin kung fu and some weird ass karate style. He doesn't spar, he talks shit about MMA, boxing, muay thai, or any fight sports, and thinks he's the baddest mofo on earth. I asked him to spar many times but he's always making dumb excuses to chicken out. I called him out on that and this is what that idiot said:

"I'm not scared to spar you. It's just the techniques in my system will dislocate body parts and break the body in ways you are not familiar with, no training pads will protect you from the system I train, the moves are not designed around rules and regulations of sport martial arts like MMA and boxing. I study pathology, and I use that study in my system, and my reflexes are such to use my system on reflex. With out health insurance for combat, and an legit fighting venue, I will not fight anyone unless it's in self defence. I'm not giving away my precious martial arts techniques from my system that easily, sorry. but nice try!"

There you have it. A dumb karate/kung fu idiot that NEVER spars, NEVER fought in his whole life, and thinks he's the baddest and toughest fighter on earth. The worst part is he thinks he can beat up a UFC champion, hahahaha.

Anyone ever encounter these type of dumb asses?

Okay, this guy knows "lethal blows", and you know MMA....which means that if you add throat strikes and atemi to your MMA skill, and he sticks with what he knows...who comes out on top?My money is on the guy who's a bit more tested-many people say "boards/bags don't hit back" when it comes to that sort of training.

The major problem I see is the Martial Arts noob who watched UFC 1-3 and thinks "that karatekungfukwondosoobahkwingchunpofu don't work". When in fact its proven its effectiveness for centuries. At first, observers concluded that BJJ was the only useful art, then they witnessed the usefulness of wrestling, then Muay Thai, then came Boxing, then came judo, and karate, and Sanda. In 10 years there's no telling what style may be utlized effectively in the cage.

Honestly I have zero proof that most of the TMA's as they are taught today were ever used as legitimate fighting arts.

Who said "If you can't beat me with rules how in the hell are you going to beat me without them?"

Honestly I have zero proof that most of the TMA's as they are taught today were ever used as legitimate fighting arts.
Without going into how China, Japan, and Okinawa all had martial arts suffer through "the dark ages" during periods of the 20th century. Or, how some systems in those countries underwent pussification for use in the public school system. I think you make a good point.

I do think more people need to acknowledge that most of the systems labeled TMA are not as old as pugilism/prize fighting/boxing, various styles of wrestling, or Judo though. Even some that may be, are the pussified post communism or post war incarnations. It was movies and T.V. that made them enormously popular.

But, be careful, least one fall off their high horse. Because McMMA is already popping up i.e. popularity is a bitch. Anywhere there is a buck to be made, some disreputable douches will cash in on the craze. Hell, even the BJJ community is having an internal dispute over the sport focus v. self defense now. Money ruins everything man.

TMA is a term that, to me, makes no sense whatsoever; but name one and I can deliver the information.

i think what people need to relize is that in the 90's the tma didn't work against things like ji jitsu muay thai

but mma did evolve out of tma were they just took what worked and improved it from different tma most martial arts evolved out of other martial arts

There's an incredible amount of traditional martial artists who just talk out of their ass, but on the other hand it's just ridiculous that when Anderson threw a front kick everyone lost their fucking shit.

I understand what you mean by TMA, but the reality is that the main martial arts used in MMA are all traditional martial arts: muay thai, boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu are all very old arts that have been around in various forms for hundreds or thousands of years.

Other arts that are less popularly respected, such as tae kwon do, karate, kung fu, etc., have pretty much the same techniques as the standup arts commonly used in MMA. The difference is mainly the training methods used in modern America. I.e., most dojos are designed to appeal to the masses of casual hobbyists who don't want to get injured, or children whose parents don't want them to get injured. The same thing is increasingly true for MMA (e.g., Tiger Schulmann's MMA).

If you want to be a fighter, you have to train like a fighter. Regardless of your base style, that means you have to have top notch conditioning, lots of sparring, and cross-training complementary styles if you want to fight in MMA. There are really not such big differences in the techniques between different styles of the same type (stand up vs stand up, or grappling vs grappling). The rule sets may be different and the strategies and goals may be somewhat different, but they can all be used effectively by someone who trains like a fighter and cross-trains in complementary styles.

Most traditional martial artists I know, and I train kung fu and Western boxing (and I have trained kyokushin karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), are hobbyists and have no interested in competing in MMA. For that matter, most boxers I know, both professional and hobbyists, have no interest in competiting in MMA. But most people respect fighters and their well rounded skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back