Anyone ever dealt with a dislocated rib in their back?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by feedmelies, Oct 1, 2013.

1. feedmelies

feedmelies You done goof'd

So around two months ago, I started noticing that I had a mild pain in my back around where my left shoulder blade is. It made it more difficult to adjust myself in bed and I was unable to do side crunches because the pain got so sharp. I figured it was a pulled muscle from working out my back or something, so I gave it some time to feel better. It didn't get better.

I asked my chiropractor about it, and he told me I had a dislocated rib. He adjusted it (like in the video below), which hurt, but it felt a little better. What troubled me was that he told me that it may just pop right back out and there was no permanent solution for the problem. This was over a month ago, and he's been right. I still have to deal with the mild pain.

Obviously this sucks. Anyone else deal with this? Are there any solutions?

The guy in this video seems to have the same exact problem. My chiropractor adjusted me the same way.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. equus

equus Horse Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

i had one pop out and back in during a jiu jitsu tourney a few years back. i got stacked and compressed like an accordion. it was unpleasant.

3. CyberRubberDuck

CyberRubberDuck Purple Belt

Yes and it bloody hurts. Can't even breathe properly.

4. Jack Reacheround

Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Nope. Found out that I had recently broken my shoulder blade though. But my doctor was such a piece of shit that he didn't prescribe me any pain killers. He just said, "Well, we can send you to sports medicine for an x-ray. But they're probably not going to operate on you (referring to my shoulder instability that I originally went in for) because you're a smoker."

Immediately my bullshit detector went off. My CT scan that I got later showed that I had damage from all the times I dislocated my shoulder and some damage from breaking my shoulder blade. That shit hurt.

5. Smashandgrab

Smashandgrab Red Belt

Yes. I've been dealing with it for a decade. Has totally F'd up the way my scapula sits of my ribcage and caused all kinds of shoulder issues. Two surgeries, extensive rehab....nothing has corrected the problem.

6. RoninJin

RoninJin Holla At Me If You Like My Avatar

shit probably hurt like a motherfucker

7. shonuf

shonuf Titanium Belt Platinum Member

anyone get frozen shoulder from this? Meaning you can't lift your arm up much past your waist if you put it behind your back.

8. feedmelies

The chance of recovery looks dim. Anyone with better news?

9. blink_man182

blink_man182 Black Belt

Yes and it hurt like hell. There was about a foot and half gap between me and the boards in hockey and got decked and my back smashed into the edge where the glass connects to the plastic. Wasn't fun.

10. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

This happened to me years ago. Though it might have been a different rib on me because I don't recall it affecting my shoulder. But yeah it hurt when I breathed. I waited for like a week before finally going to the chiropractor. He done fixed it up good. I had to visit him like 3 or 4 times before it finally stayed in place permanently, and then I avoided the lifting/twisting activity that I was doing that caused it and I've never had it happen again.

I know a lot of people shit on chiropractors but they are good for certain things, and this is one of them.

11. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

Yes, many many times.

you've separated your rib and damaged the cartilage and connective tissue.

Fortunately, almost all heal in place over time, but the awful part is this injury could take up to a year to heal fully -this is due to the dynamic movement of the rib cage and the soft tissue is just unbelievably stubborn at healing

-honestly a simple broken rib is an easier recovery than many separated ones.

Do not lift anything for months -especially overhead because you can reinsure it and be back at square one in an instant.

Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions -I've broken 9 of my ribs (I think it could be more but i don't have all of my records) and several of those 9 multiple times and separated at least 3.

12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Thread Finisher

sounds horrible. Just went to the chiro for the first time ever today for some back issues, never dislocated anything though. Hopefully your rib heals up alright or you will have to significantly alter your workout routine.

13. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

I had the same a long time ago. I wasnt ready for the stack and I was too tight...
    Hasnt been issue since the doctors visit that day, however.

14. feedmelies

Thanks for the extra responses. They make me feel more optimistic. Fortunately, it doesn't seem like I have it as bad as others in this thread have had it.

Problem solved! I haven't worked out in a month since I have been busy.

15. SafyreSchool**

SafyreSchool** Banned Banned

Chiiiiliiii's baby ..back.. ribs!!