Anyone else think a UFC tourney, where the winner becomes champ and wins 1 million dollars richer...

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Would be epic?! Bellator is currently doing it and PFL did it. I think this would be a huge sell for the UFC and really produce some epic fights and buzz around the UFC. If these other orgs can do it, I think the UFC could do it and do it even better. I know there are always issues with injuries and such, but, they just need to have alternates ready to go. For that kinda of prize, I don't think that would be to hard.

Can you imagine a LW tourney right now? They could do it kinda like NBA or NHL, where the 8 ranked fights the 1 and so on.... 8 man tourney with the first round going like this:

Khabib vs Cowboy
Tony vs Barboza
Conor vs Lee
Al vs Gaethje

Thoughts?

Great idea. I think PFL agrees.

giphy.gif

I don’t like tourneys because especially now, so many people withdraw due to injury

I don’t like tourneys because especially now, so many people withdraw due to injury
This. They don’t work in combat sports. They could do a one night tourney with alternates, but it wouldn’t be sanctioned

It's cool in theory but as the guy above me said, what happens when the fighters get injured?

Get rid of USADA to help with the injury rate, and I'm in. You'd also need lots of alternates.

Lol Khabib and Tony would both lose due to injury/weight cut/inactivity/Ramadan. Someone like Gaethje would wind up winning.

I love tourneys. Really wish the UFC would do them..

Tournaments can be tough to put together if they are spaced apart in time.

If the UFC matches people up intelligently, it almost works out in the same way as a tournament anyway, allowing for oddities like injuries or missing weight, or the occasional money fight.

I think management wants more flexibility in matchmaking so they can set up the juicy BIG money fights and not risk them on wins and losses (which stinks from a merit/sporting perspective but makes some sense business-wise).

That Bellator HW tourney was a joke. But, Invicta has a one night tourney coming up. I’m looking forward to that.

I always imagined there being an Openweight tourney called The Baddest Man on the Planet where the winner gets a large money sum in addition to officially getting the title of BMOTP. Would be epic.

A tournament pitting the champs and top contenders of the top promotions against each other would be better.

I always imagined there being an Openweight tourney called The Baddest Man on the Planet where the winner gets a large money sum in addition to officially getting the title of BMOTP. Would be epic.
They called it UFC 1..

It would be a great way to introduce a 165 pound division.

I like it, except the format should be the tournament is its own event with all fights for that round taking place on the same evening.

Would be epic?! Bellator is currently doing it and PFL did it. I think this would be a huge sell for the UFC and really produce some epic fights and buzz around the UFC. If these other orgs can do it, I think the UFC could do it and do it even better. I know there are always issues with injuries and such, but, they just need to have alternates ready to go. For that kinda of prize, I don't think that would be to hard.

Can you imagine a LW tourney right now? They could do it kinda like NBA or NHL, where the 8 ranked fights the 1 and so on.... 8 man tourney with the first round going like this:

Khabib vs Cowboy
Tony vs Barboza
Conor vs Lee
Al vs Gaethje

Thoughts?
Road did it, and nobody gives a fuck.

1 million wouldn't be enough money for a UFC tourney winner. It would have to be like 5 or 10 million.

you can't gift people title shots if you do tournaments

what do you think UFC does constantly?

Back