Anyone else struggle to finish the triangle choke?

metalbeat

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I personally love the triangle choke, which is funny because it is a submission a struggle to finish. I have long and super skinny legs for my body (kinda like a dumpy version of Jon Jones) and I find this makes it super easy for me to lock in triangles. I know the basics of applying the triangle choke and cut the corner and hip up but I just cant never seem to be able to get the squeeze I need to make someone tap. I often just use the triangle choke as a sweep.

Does anyone else with a similar body type struggle with this? Do you have a different body type and still struggle to finish the triangle?

Also, I would like to add that I am not blaming my lack of technique on my body type. It very easily could be a fault in how I am attempting to finish the triangle.

When you lock the triangle, lock the triangle so you hide their shoulder.Cut the angle too. You will get advice to do the Ryan Hall "stomp/curl",but no high level guy finishes that way.

When you lock the triangle, lock the triangle so you hide their shoulder.Cut the angle too. You will get advice to do the Ryan Hall "stomp/curl",but no high level guy finishes that way.

IMO his stomp/curl theory is just a way to exaggerate the angle needed for a good triangle because that video changed my whole way of finishing triangles, but stomping still doesn't make sense to me

Add an armbar to the triangle

Or just make a fist and jam it into their trachea

sometimes I use my arms to help. Pulling the head down, or locking my hands together around my legs to give a more powerful squeeze

Din't neglect dragging them out by shoulder walking straight backwards.

I personally love the triangle choke, which is funny because it is a submission a struggle to finish. I have long and super skinny legs for my body (kinda like a dumpy version of Jon Jones) and I find this makes it super easy for me to lock in triangles. I know the basics of applying the triangle choke and cut the corner and hip up but I just cant never seem to be able to get the squeeze I need to make someone tap. I often just use the triangle choke as a sweep.

Does anyone else with a similar body type struggle with this? Do you have a different body type and still struggle to finish the triangle?

Also, I would like to add that I am not blaming my lack of technique on my body type. It very easily could be a fault in how I am attempting to finish the triangle.

I do but when I add the armbar to it, it works. Or I just use the triangle to gain full mount.

Sometimes you just have to wait for the choke to work. A 100% perfect triangle will work almost instantly. A less than perfect one may take some time. 5 sec? 10? 20? Just depends.

Triangle is my highest percentage submission. I also have long skinny legs. I find I can finish the triangle often even without having their trapped arm across my body... What is most important for me is to be at an angle and reach for their leg on that side. This way it also helps preventing them from posturing up, and the angle makes it super tight.

Are you elevating your hips toward the ceiling, and pulling down on the head with both hands? And of course your calf must be ON the back of his neck, perpendicular straight across, and his arm should be trapped across

Shoulder walking is another good detail. Hipping out is another.

Nah. Thick thighs. I've gotten taps even if i get my knee over my toes without having my legs properly triangled.

I'd say take Ryan Hall's advice, or at least work your armlocks from there. Using it for a sweep is actually good though. Especially from a self defense/mma perspective. I love mounted triangles.

IMO his stomp/curl theory is just a way to exaggerate the angle needed for a good triangle because that video changed my whole way of finishing triangles, but stomping still doesn't make sense to me

Why would it not make sense? It jams your hamstring directly into his neck with crazy force.

I have seen a lot of guys fail by not having the triangle tight enough. I always make sure to adjust the triangle to tke out any gaps prior to taking the angle and or grabbing the guy's leg.

Man, after today's session I was like - I'm gonna go to Sherdog, and ask these guys how to finish triangle chokes and armbars since I struggle with them. I'm tall and lanky is well, with chicken legs like Jon as well :D 183cm 65kg is pretty skinny, so I'm not physically strong, I was wondering if that is why I struggle with finishing these submissions... What a coincidence :D I'll be looking for the answer here as well :)

Why would it not make sense? It jams your hamstring directly into his neck with crazy force.

It works great if you get the angle perfectly. But if the angle is off at all,its inefficient.It also gives a path of escape. With how fast techniques are shared and improvised, no top level guy finishes that way.Personally, i've found that Mendes Bros has the best stuff for Triangle finish.

Last edited:
I have big legs, so the triangle has always been tricky for me. Also every time I would attempt it, guys would just fall over, so I started using it as a sweep.

I can live with that.

Triangle is my highest percentage submission. I also have long skinny legs. I find I can finish the triangle often even without having their trapped arm across my body... What is most important for me is to be at an angle and reach for their leg on that side. This way it also helps preventing them from posturing up, and the angle makes it super tight.

Those are exactly the most important points in my opinion. I never bother to cross the arm, but most times, the angle will force it into position ( but as NoEnd said, you don't really need it) Also the detail about grabing the leg is really important if you are interested in mma or self defense, while it makes getting the angle really easy and being stacked or slammed almost impossible.

Back