Anyone else sick of 5 round fights?

We dont need less rounds. We need Pride rules with elbows

5 round fights make cardio a much more important factor. They are necessary at higher weight classes.

I would not be opposed to have all the 145- lbs fights to be 3 rounds.

The 5 round fights are terrible and I don't like watching marathons. Three round fights are awesome as each fighters know that they had better bring all of what they have. The best is displayed in that 3 rounds.

All fights should be 3 rounds.

And original pride rules with knees allowed to grounded opponent and soccer kicks.

I like Pride rules, but I could do without soccer kicks. They are just too brutal.

5 round fights make cardio a much more important factor. They are necessary at higher weight classes.

I would not be opposed to have all the 145- lbs fights to be 3 rounds.

You have it totally backwards.

Did it give confirmation? Or did it show that a skinny lanky guy has better cardio?

[YT]tfy0ZzHYHO4[/YT]

Cormier slowed down from the dozens of body shots.

I disagree.

If last night would have been a 3 rounder, we might have seen a finish, and even if we didn't we would have seen who is actually the better fighter, as neither one of them would have been sandbagging. They would have both gone balls to the wall.

Shertard logic is rampant on this thread. Because I don't want to see two guys fight at 85%, I'm a casual fan LOL

The truth is that keyboard warriors on this site don't have a fucking clue in regards to how difficult fighting someone for even just 5 minutes is. As someone that has wrestled at the collegiate level and competed in MMA at the amateur level, I can tell you that going balls out for 25 minutes is simply not possible for the majority of athletes (especially 200+ lb men) Shertards seem to think that because these guys don't have day jobs that they should all have world class cardio. This is MMA not distance running.

And LOL at the idiot that thinks Hendricks fights the same in a 5 rounder that he does in a 3. He went from a fucking animal that tried to take his opponents heads off to looking like he's was in a couple sparing sessions with lawler. The only 5 rounder he went for the kill in was against GSP, and that's because he knew that he would be fucked in the later rounds even if he tried to conserve his energy, as GSP probably has the best cardio in the game..

Very much agreed. The best fights are 3 rounders. It would be epic that all fights were 3 rounds.

We would see a lot more finishes and less marathons.

I like Pride rules, but I could do without soccer kicks. They are just too brutal.

I hear you. I could accept the 'brutality' in time, but to me the aspect of tripping and going for soccer kicks really hurts the spirit of competition.. imo.

We need 2 minute rounds and if the fight goes to a decision it should be automatic draw.

what about slightly longer rests in between rounds.

maybe an additional minute or two would allow fighters to rest more and be able to expend more energy.

Totally agree. As a veteran of 201 street fights (undefeated), I can testify that a 25 minute fight is simply not found in nature. It is an artificial and arbitrary measure imposed on UFC events that only further removes these exhibitions from actual real fights.

Have you considered anger management?

We need 2 minute rounds and if the fight goes to a decision it should be automatic draw.

It seems to me that there would be a lot of draws. What would grapplers do with 2 minutes?

I think the 10-point must system should be tossed out and instead 3 different celebrities can write the name of who they believed won the fight on a white board and hold it up to the camera in order to determine a winner.

If there were not 5 rounds last night, none of us would really know who won the fight.

what about slightly longer rests in between rounds.

maybe an additional minute or two would allow fighters to rest more and be able to expend more energy.

I like this

I'm happy with where we are. Maybe give co mains 5 rounds as well

I support this opinion. Ben Henderson vs Eddie Alvarez should definitely be 5 rounds.

Naw man naw, we don't see enough decisive victories over 5 rounds so 3 would just be straight up robbing someone more times than not. If anything we need more rounds.

As someone that didn't really have a dog in the fight last night, I have to say that the fight sucked, and it sucked because it was a five rounder. As a fight fan, I'm not really interested in who has awesome cardio or great game-planing. I want to see violence and skill.

Stopped reading after this. Completely disagree with you. Fighting is about great game-planing and conditionning, violence comes way after. You seem like a JB fan which is acceptable, but don't start posting these kinds of threads please. I would of loved to see Jones and DC fight till one finished the other, if it takes 10 rounds, fuck it, that's what fighting is about.

Fight 5 minutes, then rest 5 minutes. Then resume. The audience doesn't have to sit there bored. They could have two other opponents round in between their rounds.

What would really be sweet is have a 10 minute round, then a 5, then a 3 minute, then a 1 minute, then a 30 second round.

Back