Anyone else sick of 5 round fights?

It's easier to point fight for 3 rounds than for 5.

This. Score an end-of-round takedown, eek out another round, then coast. Seen it too many times. Most 3 round fights end up being 2 round fights for all intents and purposes.

5 Round fights are much better than 3 round fights for championship fights. I couldn't stand 3 round fights for a world title.

Better to ask why some of these top guys don't seem to have top cardio. If last night had been a 3 rounder it would have been a close decision and while maybe less 'boring', a less satisfying answer to who won the fight.

I disagree.

If last night would have been a 3 rounder, we might have seen a finish, and even if we didn't we would have seen who is actually the better fighter, as neither one of them would have been sandbagging. They would have both gone balls to the wall.

Shertard logic is rampant on this thread. Because I don't want to see two guys fight at 85%, I'm a casual fan LOL

The truth is that keyboard warriors on this site don't have a fucking clue in regards to how difficult fighting someone for even just 5 minutes is. As someone that has wrestled at the collegiate level and competed in MMA at the amateur level, I can tell you that going balls out for 25 minutes is simply not possible for the majority of athletes (especially 200+ lb men) Shertards seem to think that because these guys don't have day jobs that they should all have world class cardio. This is MMA not distance running.

And LOL at the idiot that thinks Hendricks fights the same in a 5 rounder that he does in a 3. He went from a fucking animal that tried to take his opponents heads off to looking like he's was in a couple sparing sessions with lawler. The only 5 rounder he went for the kill in was against GSP, and that's because he knew that he would be fucked in the later rounds even if he tried to conserve his energy, as GSP probably has the best cardio in the game..

No, I prefer to see 5 rounds.
BUT if you wanna do 15 minutes, do it 15 minutes straight and just have a scoring of who you think won the fight.
Even better, 25 minutes, in case both guys are fucking tough. But things could get ugly if they got tired.

As someone that didn't really have a dog in the fight last night, I have to say that the fight sucked, and it sucked because it was a five rounder. As a fight fan, I'm not really interested in who has awesome cardio or great game-planing. I want to see violence and skill, and last night the fans got fucked once again. I honestly don't think that DC would have an advantage in a 3 rounder. I think a 3 rounder would have been super close just like the first 3 rounds last night were, but we would have seen both these guys trying to destroy each other instead of playing the cardio game. I think we would have seen the ruthless John Jones that used to destroy people and not jones just doing enough to not get hurt while waiting for the other guy to gas. Obviously the game-plan worked and jones still has the belt, but the fans were robbed of what could have been a great fight. Both fighters last night were over conservative because it was a 5 round fight. DC was trying not to gas, while Jones was waiting for him to gas. In a 3 rounder jones would have been forced to engage with DC in those first 2 rounds, and DC would have been swinging for the fences. It could have been everything it was built up to be. The reality of the fight game is that there are only so many fighters that are capable of fighting at an exiting pace for 25 minutes. Yes, that's a skill, but it's not a skill I want to see from an entertainment aspect, and at the end of the day MMA is all about entertainment. It sucks that exiting fighters like: Hendricks, Shogun, Hunt, Reem, Hendo, BJ, JDS or rampage get neutered by these five rounders. They don't fight the same because they're more set on not gassing than going in for the kill like they do in a 3 rounder.

Who's with me on this? Seriously, fuck 5 rounders. They ruin more championship fights than they add to them.
I get it. In 3 round fights guys have less time to seal the deal, making them push harder for finishes. However 5 rounders are part of the game and I accept it.

I wish the Cerrone fight would have been 5 rounds.

You got a point TS.

A lot of these memorable MMA wars that went 5 rounds included watching gassed fighters fight in the championship rounds with pure heart. In the moment you applaud their courage and admire the awesomeness of how close the fight was where 2 guys gave everything.

You watch the fight again 10 years later when the sport has evolved further, and you realize that it was pretty much 2 out of shape guys fighting with sloppy technique.

I wouldn't mind a ten minute first round, the judges are too stupid to score 5 minute rounds though so it'd probably be a disaster.

Most of my favourite fights are 5 rounders, and most of them wouldn't have been anywhere near as exciting if they were 3 rounders.

Pettis v Bendo 1
Gus v Jones
Shogun v Hendo 1
Hendricks v Lawler 1
Hunt v Bigfoot

All great 5 round fights and had an intensity to them that just isn't possible in a 3 rounder.

I disagree.

If last night would have been a 3 rounder, we might have seen a finish, and even if we didn't we would have seen who is actually the better fighter, as neither one of them would have been sandbagging. They would have both gone balls to the wall.

Shertard logic is rampant on this thread. Because I don't want to see two guys fight at 85%, I'm a casual fan LOL

The truth is that keyboard warriors on this site don't have a fucking clue in regards to how difficult fighting someone for even just 5 minutes is. As someone that has wrestled at the collegiate level and competed in MMA at the amateur level, I can tell you that going balls out for 25 minutes is simply not possible for the majority of athletes (especially 200+ lb men) Shertards seem to think that because these guys don't have day jobs that they should all have world class cardio. This is MMA not distance running.

And LOL at the idiot that thinks Hendricks fights the same in a 5 rounder that he does in a 3. He went from a fucking animal that tried to take his opponents heads off to looking like he's was in a couple sparing sessions with lawler. The only 5 rounder he went for the kill in was against GSP, and that's because he knew that he would be fucked in the later rounds even if he tried to conserve his energy, as GSP probably has the best cardio in the game..

Totally agree. As a veteran of 201 street fights (undefeated), I can testify that a 25 minute fight is simply not found in nature. It is an artificial and arbitrary measure imposed on UFC events that only further removes these exhibitions from actual real fights.

No and I can't understand why last night would be an example.

The first 3 rounds were spectacular as good as you'd get between them if it were actually a scheduled 3 rounder.

Then we got the 4th and 5th which def. weren't as pretty but gave confirmation on who was the better fighter.

I don't mind 5-round fights, but when there is no urgency from the fighters to actually take out their opponents, I get bored quickly. Especially if the previous fights were subpar. The entire reason I got into MMA was to see who and what fighting styles could most effectively STOP an opponent. Not who can most effectively cuddle, dance, and stall their way to a decision.

5 3 min rounds would be ideal, even the best cardio will resort to holding on over 5 5 min rounds, its stupid!

Pride 2 round fights is where it's at, playboy.

The first 3 rounds were spectacular as good as you'd get between them if it were actually a scheduled 3 rounder.

Then we got the 4th and 5th which def. weren't as pretty but gave confirmation on who was the better fighter.

They were?

Neither one of those guys were going all out. They were both conserving energy for the championship rounds. That's why the fight sucked.

I would trade all 5 of those rounds to watch those guys actually fight for 3 minutes

I agree with TS. However, I propose they make if 5 rounds of 3 minute rounds. More explosive action.

Did it give confirmation? Or did it show that a skinny lanky guy has better cardio?

Back