Anyone else sick of 5 round fights?

I don't see you getting anyone to agree with that especially when it comes to championship fights. It's not gonna change

Agree with less 5-round fights. Many indeed just become insufferable due to cardio, and fighters are building up too much damage on one night, shortening their effective careers and happiness. Not every main event needs to be 5 rounds. It didn't used to be the case. Just title fights. And IMO it should have stayed that way, at least in retrospect. NFL are abolishing kickoffs right now, UFC are adding them, and like an extra quarter, to build up damage on the athletes in their organization. We should try to find out the answer to who is the better fighter succinctly.

But I disagree with the notion that last night's fight sucked. It was kind of an epic. Both fighters displayed excellent cardio, especially for bigs, and at JBJ kept his output pretty consistent until the end. If 20 second lulls are too much for you, maybe this isn't your sport. Maybe sports aren't your sport for that matter, because almost all them have intermittent breaks.

I've always said fights should be 1 10-12 minute round. UFC has done this before. They would be action packed this way.

K-1 fights were only 9 minutes. Wrestling matches are shorter.

You can't expect guys doing both to put up a considerable pace for 25 minutes, except for very few freaks. 25 minutes is just way too long.

wtf is wrong with you. all important fights should be 5 rounds. just watch the highlights if your attention cant last for 29 minutes.

Watching 5round war is way more interesting than 7 sec ko to me

the fight didn't suck at all.

look, that's what happens when 230 pound men fight at a high pace. they get tired. that's a part of fighting.

I'm sick of people starting shitty threads like this one.

It sucks that exiting fighters like: Hendricks, Shogun, Hunt, Reem, Hendo, BJ, JDS or rampage get neutered by these five rounders. They don't fight the same because they're more set on not gassing than going in for the kill like they do in a 3 rounder.

Hendricks has not been in a bad 5 round fight yet.

Shogun generally gets finished inside of 3. His problem is not the rounds, he is washed up.

Hunt has only been in the late rounds once, against bigfoot, and it was awesome. Even in 5 round fights he generally finishes or is finished inside 3 rounds.

Reem hasnt been in a 5 round fight, dont know why you even brought him up.

BJ hasnt been in a 5 rounder since he was at LW. His problem is not 5 round fights, its that he is not a good fighter anymore. Like he said at the end of his last fight, he shouldnt have come back.

JDS is the #2 HW, dont know how anythign is really hurting him except Cain's fist.

Rampage hasnt been in a 5 rounder since being slaughtered by Jones.

The problem is that the fighters you think are exciting have gotten old, and arent as good. Not how many rounds there are.

I'm happy with where we are. Maybe give co mains 5 rounds as well

OMG the HW section on sherdog. Do you understand how ripped off you feel when you but a ppv and the Main event is a 3 round decision?? 5 rounds of boxing? Lol my gawd the "UFC fan" is going to be the downfall of this sport lol.. But hey, make a couple frat boys rich in the short term. The sport will be better someday.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It ain't broke. I've seen guys gas in <2 rounds.

Most people complain when big fights aren't 5 rounds, TS complains when they are :/

If you just want to see violence maybe you shouldn't order a main event with two wrestlers? Maybe if you aren't interested in good gameplanning maybe you shouldn't order a main event with a Greg Jackson fighter?

"smellmyfarts"

Mods, get these 16 year olds out of this forum.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It ain't broke. I've seen guys gas in <2 rounds.

Well, title fights aren't broke.

But UFC on the whole kind of is right now. It was better when there were many more 3-rounders and fighters didn't get burned out short and long-term from arduous wars. Beyond saturation of the market, and international interests, I think another factor in card dilution is 5-round wars. Because they have slower turnarounds and shortened careers, at which point we need to be reacquainted with new fighters, which is a process that takes a little time, and they aren't going to be as good on average because the talent pool is reduced by all the burn outs.

Back