Anyone else sick of 5 round fights?

smellmyfarts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As someone that didn't really have a dog in the fight last night, I have to say that the fight sucked, and it sucked because it was a five rounder. As a fight fan, I'm not really interested in who has awesome cardio or great game-planing. I want to see violence and skill, and last night the fans got fucked once again. I honestly don't think that DC would have an advantage in a 3 rounder. I think a 3 rounder would have been super close just like the first 3 rounds last night were, but we would have seen both these guys trying to destroy each other instead of playing the cardio game. I think we would have seen the ruthless John Jones that used to destroy people and not jones just doing enough to not get hurt while waiting for the other guy to gas. Obviously the game-plan worked and jones still has the belt, but the fans were robbed of what could have been a great fight. Both fighters last night were over conservative because it was a 5 round fight. DC was trying not to gas, while Jones was waiting for him to gas. In a 3 rounder jones would have been forced to engage with DC in those first 2 rounds, and DC would have been swinging for the fences. It could have been everything it was built up to be. The reality of the fight game is that there are only so many fighters that are capable of fighting at an exiting pace for 25 minutes. Yes, that's a skill, but it's not a skill I want to see from an entertainment aspect, and at the end of the day MMA is all about entertainment. It sucks that exiting fighters like: Hendricks, Shogun, Hunt, Reem, Hendo, BJ, JDS or rampage get neutered by these five rounders. They don't fight the same because they're more set on not gassing than going in for the kill like they do in a 3 rounder.

Who's with me on this? Seriously, fuck 5 rounders. They ruin more championship fights than they add to them.

not really. depends who's fighting tho/.

It's easier to point fight for 3 rounds than for 5.

I never have cared for the 5 round fights either.

I can see how a fight should test both fighters in all kinds of different skills, cardio included, but I feel like the 5 rounder is just too much.

I think that the 3 rounders are perfect, the fans get more exciting fights (after all we do fund this shit with tickets to live events, ppv, and merchandise sales) plus the fighters still get to test out their skills, cardio, etc.

It's easier to point fight for 3 rounds than for 5.

This. Half the time no one 'really' wins a 3 rounder yet careers are made and broken by them. It's frustrating TBH. Quite often I think 'if only it was 5 rounds'....

Also I thought the fight was good, several people have said they found it boring, yes it slowed down a lot in 4 and 5 but there is a streak of 'no finish = boring fight, durr hurr' about that attitude.

I don't know there have been some pretty epic five rounders.

RD 4 of Jones/Gus was one of the best rounds I have ever seen in a championship fight.
RD 5 of Silva/Sonnen I literally altered the course of the MW division for years to come.
RD 5 of Penn/Sanchez was the symbolic of a champion who was trying to make a point

The championship fights need 5 rounds. If Cormier/Jones had ended after 3 RDs half of Sherdog would have thought Jones won and half of Sherdog would have thought Cormier won. Fighting that extra 2 rounds and digging deep is what makes a good champion a great champion.

wtf is wrong with you. all important fights should be 5 rounds. just watch the highlights if your attention cant last for 29 minutes.

Better to ask why some of these top guys don't seem to have top cardio. If last night had been a 3 rounder it would have been a close decision and while maybe less 'boring', a less satisfying answer to who won the fight.

Really? Is that all fighting is for you violence & blood fuck it! Lets throw in some edged weapons in the cage too. I like a little planning and strategy along with my violence and seeing who's actually in condition and trained and didn't just show up for a bar fight.

I want more rounds, not less.

It almost seems inevitable that 5 rd championship fights will go to decision, there's just too much incentive to avoid busting your nut going for a finish in the first 3-4 rounds. I think three 10 min rounds would make for much more exciting championship fights

I'm sure many casual fans of MMA would also love it if fights weren't stopped until one guy's skull is visibly fractured. There's your "mma is entertainment" concept at its extreme. I personally like the championship rounds based on appreciation of MMA as a sport.

Great idea, TS. It's common knowledge that there's NEVER been a boring a 3 round fight!

Increase regular matches to 5 and make championship matches to 7 rounds. :)

5 should be for top contenders or money fights, 7 for championship + the banned Pride rules

Back