Anyone else seem to jump over trips?

crochuck

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK so we got a couple of guys at our gym who are very good judo players. Both are black belts. One is straight out of Korea and is in America to teach Judo and TKD and the other spent 4 years in Korea learning Judo and has his black belt. Well anyway both are technically the same level as me at bjj as in new blue belts. So whenever we have room we start standing. They are obviously going for their Judo stuff and I'm retarded on the feet never took a single lesson on it or anything. Anyway any time they try to trip me or throw me I can usually land on my feet and actually land in an advantageous position if not just landing on my feet. Btw I don't know if this makes any difference by I almost always go for the cross collar grip with my right hand.

I am only asking because I would like to refine what I may be doing my accident and try to take true advantage of it and force them into bad spots instead of waiting on them to make a move and reacting.

TLNDR
I keep somehow skipping out on judo blackbelts trips and what to know what exactly I am doing so I can refine it for offensive purposes.

You are the one the prophecy has foretold.

OK so we got a couple of guys at our gym who are very good judo players. Both are black belts. One is straight out of Korea and is in America to teach Judo and TKD and the other spent 4 years in Korea learning Judo and has his black belt. Well anyway both are technically the same level as me at bjj as in new blue belts. So whenever we have room we start standing. They are obviously going for their Judo stuff and I'm retarded on the feet never took a single lesson on it or anything. Anyway any time they try to trip me or throw me I can usually land on my feet and actually land in an advantageous position if not just landing on my feet. Btw I don't know if this makes any difference by I almost always go for the cross collar grip with my right hand.

I am only asking because I would like to refine what I may be doing my accident and try to take true advantage of it and force them into bad spots instead of waiting on them to make a move and reacting.

TLNDR
I keep somehow skipping out on judo blackbelts trips and what to know what exactly I am doing so I can refine it for offensive purposes.

Are you in the same weight class as these judo black belts?

Trips are low-percentage and require perfect timing. It is rare that you get a perfect takedown from a trip attempt. Usually the guy just steps/hops over. But a lot of times you can use a trip to make the guy hop to regain his balance and take advantage of that to set up another throw.

Judo black belts don't land every throw attempt, just like BJJ black belts don't land every submission attempt, and pro skateboarders don't land every trick.

Oh, and don't go for a cross collar grip in standup, you're giving your opponent an armdrag or a russian two-on-one grip. You'll get owned if you try that against the wrong guy.

Nah. I used to do that against my BB Judo instructor. Then I realized that when I jumped over any sweeps, I was far more vulnerable to other attacks, simply due to the fact that I jumped. Where's my base?

And I think you're talking about sweeps..

In judo as in wrestling, a lot of guys specialize in a few things and get really good at them for competition. Trips may not be their specialty, perhaps they are just practicing, at practice.

I am going to guess that you are mostly focusing on defending their stuff when you start standing. Its damn hard to throw someone who isn't trying to throw you too.

The good stuff you are doing? Torso seperation. Don't let them get within 12 inches of you with your core, makes it harder to finish throws in the gi. I always have a gameplan while standing. Judo guy? Make him wrestle you. Wrestler? Make him play judo. Both? Pull guard with authority. You're welcome.

In judo as in wrestling, a lot of guys specialize in a few things and get really good at them for competition. Trips may not be their specialty, perhaps they are just practicing, at practice.

I am going to guess that you are mostly focusing on defending their stuff when you start standing. Its damn hard to throw someone who isn't trying to throw you too.

The good stuff you are doing? Torso seperation. Don't let them get within 12 inches of you with your core, makes it harder to finish throws in the gi. I always have a gameplan while standing. Judo guy? Make him wrestle you. Wrestler? Make him play judo. Both? Pull guard with authority. You're welcome.

This is almost certainly true. Trips are also used in practice against people with questionable break falls, as there's almost no chance of hurting someone with them. When I practice with beginners, for instance, footsweeps are more or less the only throws I use.

from my very limited understanding of judo, those first trips have more than one use. if they dont get you, they can put you in position for something else. maybe the judo black belts are just doing that to you without following up so they dont destroy you.

ie. the prophecy has not been fulfilled, as the martial arts planets have yet to align. that only happens every 400 years and last time that happened fedor was born.

More interestingly, here we have a BJJ bluebelt who claims he has never had a single lesson on takedowns.

Are you in the same weight class as these judo black belts?

Trips are low-percentage and require perfect timing. It is rare that you get a perfect takedown from a trip attempt. Usually the guy just steps/hops over. But a lot of times you can use a trip to make the guy hop to regain his balance and take advantage of that to set up another throw.

Judo black belts don't land every throw attempt, just like BJJ black belts don't land every submission attempt, and pro skateboarders don't land every trick.

Oh, and don't go for a cross collar grip in standup, you're giving your opponent an armdrag or a russian two-on-one grip. You'll get owned if you try that against the wrong guy.

As long as you are owning it and being the one who yanks the other around it is a dominant grip with a couple of massive throws
Yama Arashi
Eri Seo Nagi
but also plenty of other ones who usually come from a standard grip

This is almost certainly true. Trips are also used in practice against people with questionable break falls, as there's almost no chance of hurting someone with them. When I practice with beginners, for instance, footsweeps are more or less the only throws I use.

As a Judo black belt who works a lot with BJJ guys with shitty falls, I can agree that this is a lot of it. The last thing I want to do is hit some guy with a huge Uchi Mata and have him not be able to get up. I mean sure, it's fun to stand over someone's broken, now-useless body after you've hip thrown them into oblivion, but it hardly makes you a good training partner...so I mostly stick to footsweeps and double/single legs against BJJ guys (in training of course).

As a Judo black belt who works a lot with BJJ guys with shitty falls, I can agree that this is a lot of it. The last thing I want to do is hit some guy with a huge Uchi Mata and have him not be able to get up. I mean sure, it's fun to stand over someone's broken, now-useless body after you've hip thrown them into oblivion, but it hardly makes you a good training partner...so I mostly stick to footsweeps and double/single legs against BJJ guys (in training of course).

this post has convinced me to take judo way more seriously for bjj

you are not doing it like I do:icon_chee

I mean hip throws you can gently put them down if you have launched them

a proper osoto or sasae they go flying

and even with kouchi and ouchi people who get thrown try to get away because they don't realize that me landing on top of them if there is separation hurts more then if i am allowed close when it actually doesn't hurt at all (you can help break the fall and roll with it)

More interestingly, here we have a BJJ bluebelt who claims he has never had a single lesson on takedowns.

This is unfortunately more common than you would think. Some BJJ instructors literally do not do takedowns ever. They always pull guard, and they teach their students to do the same.

On the other hand it is more likely that the OP is not actually a blue belt, lol

Back