Anyone else screaming for armbars by anderson?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Nedrin, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Nedrin

Nedrin Green Belt

Fuck, that annoyed the shit out of me, he had so many opportunities to at least try and go for an armbar. Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest.

2. FunkyRMe

FunkyRMe White Belt

Yeah and what's the worst that could happen? His guard passed. He wasn't having issue replacing it. Ug...

I guess Segal isn't big on drillin armbars.

3. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

I was screaming for anything, but something in his eyes told me he was just wearing him down.

4. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

I honestly got the impression that he was throwing that fight, I dont know the whole thing just doesnt sit right with me.

5. Lopes

Lopes The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah

Honestly, I had that feeling too. Something just didn't sit right, like he was trying to set up a big money rematch or some other shit so he could retire and ride off into the sunset, but I also had a strange feeling about the whole fight.

6. FunkyRMe

FunkyRMe White Belt

Idk I think Chale just got into his head. Look at the 3rd round he was trying harder and being more aggressive than I've ever seen at the beginning and i almost thought he was gonna stop him there.

It's gotta be tough having you doubts about your own ability thrown in your face for 7 month and then fighting the guy whose backing up the trash talk. I think Anderson was choking and woke up that 5th round.

7. Ninja This

Ninja This Purple Belt

I was like THOR YOUR LEGS

8. POPPA ROTZEE

POPPA ROTZEE Brown Belt

Having a issue recovering guard...3 times I saw sonnen pass gaurd, get to side control and then pick andersons leg up and crawl back INTO his guard...I was like WTF.

9. POPPA ROTZEE

POPPA ROTZEE Brown Belt

MAAAAAAAAAN we were all saying the same thing. Like, nothing seemed real or right. It was all weird.

10. ManilaIce

ManilaIce Orange Belt

I was @ the fight, and my buddy and I were like "What is going on?"

Tbh though, I think it was just that Chael has ridiculous takedowns. The whole time this guy behind us kept cautioning to "remember the Lutter fight" haha

11. MickCollins

MickCollins O Soto Seanzito

So did I. The rib injury thing helped explain it more but it seemed like he didn't give a crap until the last round.

12. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

The rib situation explained why he was trying to control Sonnen's weak side instead of his strong side (Right Hand). I did see the triangle set up (One arm in and one arm out) for a few rounds and was wondering he did not go for it earlier but I am glad he did at the end.

I don't care for Sonnen and I am glad he lost. It did not surprise me that acted like he did not tap. I mean he did tap three times.....so he could not deny it this time.

13. BJJayhawk10

BJJayhawk10 Yellow Belt

Sonnen was leaving his arms in all night and I thought it was only a matter of time before an armbar or triangle attempt. Unfortunately, it happened...

14. MickCollins

MickCollins O Soto Seanzito

You can see how Filho got him in their first fight by the way Sonnen is so careless with his arms. Sonnen is a triangle or armbar waiting to happen.

15. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

2 things we can be sure about Sonnen. 1 he will make you fight, 2 he is open to subs.

16. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I think it is his fourth defeat via triangle (2 armbars and 1 guillotine).

17. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Haha I was thinking the same thing during the whole fight. The guy I was with said that was MMA's version of rope a dope.

18. Blackcipher13

Blackcipher13 White Belt

I thought I was the only one. I watched this fight in a bar and people were saying "Anderson is too old.....he needs to retire.....wrestlers are his biggest weakness". If we see the end of the fight we just need to look at the faces of both fighters to see who won the fight. Anderson was taking some punches in the 2nd round ( or 3rd) and he ate them like nothing. Not once did I see him in trouble. I think this man was the best actor of the night. Doesn't anyone else think its odd that he stopped the takedowns he wanted to easily and for most of the fight just played full guard. Also I don't know if anyone noticed but on his gi he had a patch of atos bjj on his right side?? My theory is he is so bored fighting that he played with Sonnen all night until the very end and showed everyone why he is pound for pound the best in the business. Notice those breathes of fresh air that came from his standup and then he just lay back and rolled with the punches. Tell me who else is capable of cutting a man so deep while on his back. I say no one with that ease. DISCUSS!:mad:

19. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

I am surprised Anderson got the sub actually,I have always maintained his BJJ was highly overated, especially his offensive BJJ. I dont buy into the rib bullshit as well, if it was that bad he wouldnt have been able to fight, nor would he. I am just glad Chael survived for so long, just so I dont have to read about idiots who claim that Anderson has this super-guard that can submit basically anybody...that really use to make me sad :(.

20. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

Thats complete bullshit and you know it. His trying to gain more rep in the BJJ community after the crap he pulled against Maia (pretty boy comments and what not). But at the same token he was rocked standing and by no means wanted to be off his back. its kinda like Fedor, alot of people claimed Fedor use to not try and thats why some of his wins werent that impressive, but its all bullcrap both Anderson and Fedor try their hardest, its just that they are mortal and they dont always live up to divine expectation.