Anyone else remember Benny Blanco?

I recall that the account was logged into a few months after that thread but no posts were made. There was speculation about a mod accessing the account, I never found out the truth.

Writing a post saying ur gonna kill urself is the eipto.e if wanting attention.

Oh and never heard of him

Damn, if that post was legit...whoa.

I get it though. Not everyone is trying to stick around. Not everyone enjoys living. Who am I to tell them that they should?

Being born a human, at this time on Earth, is a pretty shitty deal in many ways. Some would rather check out than ride it out. Can't blame em really. It is what it is.

Being born a human, at this time on Earth, is a pretty shitty deal in many ways. Some would rather check out than ride it out. Can't blame em really. It is what it is.

It's probably the best time to live on Earth.

It's probably the best time to live on Earth.

I can't call it. Not for certain anyway. It could be the best time and yet still be a shitty deal in many ways, though.

But I'm curious as to why you would say so. Because we have cell phones and shit? Fancy new tech to make life easy? Cars, planes, and other material things?

I feel like Rust Cohle does here, basically.

Earth, due to humanities rampant selfishness, has become "One giant gutter in outer space."

If people have no desire to be here, well, I really don't have any good reason to argue against that.

But I'm curious as to why you would say so. Because we have cell phones and shit? Fancy new tech to make life easy? Cars, planes, and other material things?
Don't scoff at material things. They are keeping your loved ones alive, which is a perspective most of us are thankfully far removed from.

You can have kids, and be reasonably sure that you will see all of them grow up. Nobody owns you, and nobody will own them. Women, children, and minorities are - even on a global scale - far less repressed than at any previous point in history. Democracy is at an all time high, and so is free exchange of information, while violent death is rare. Average age is higher, on average we have more time available to pursue our own interests instead of primarily spending time to survive.

We are not understimulated, and a large amount of people in the world are able to access more litterature and film than we can possibly consume. You are more free to chose your beliefs, and have more ways of aquiring them. All of the worlds knowledge is accesible to you on a moment's notice, and you can immerse yourself in any subject. You will see more of the world than you could if you travelled a lifetime in earlier ages. You will never see a plague take a third of your generation.

We don't go hungry, we don't freeze to death.

We can hear whatever music we want, whenever we want it, making our lives more beautiful.

I get feeling estranged, or bereft of meaning, but - on average - we've been dealt the best hands that has ever been dealt. We might just not like the game.

Last edited:
Don't scoff at material things. They are keeping your loved ones alive, which is a perspective most of us are thankfully far removed from.

You can have kids, and be reasonably sure that you will see all of them grow up. Nobody owns you, and nobody will own them. Women, children, and minorities are - even on a global scale - far less repressed than at any previous point in history. Democracy is at an all time high, and so is free exchange of information, while violent death is rare. Average age is higher, on average we have more time available to pursue our own interests instead of primarily spending time to survive.

We are not understimulated, and a large amount of people in the world are able to access more litterature and film than we can possibly consume. You are more free to chose your beliefs, and have more ways of aquiring them. All of the worlds knowledge is accesible to you on a moment's notice, and you can immerse yourself in any subject. You will see more of the world than you could if you travelled a lifetime in earlier ages. You will never see a plague take a third of your generation.

We don't go hungry, we don't freeze to death.

We can hear whatever music we want, whenever we want it, making our lives more beautiful.

I get feeling estranged, or bereft of meaning, but - on average - we've been dealt the best hands that has ever been dealt. We might just not like the game.

You can choose to see it that way if you'd like. Me? I don't, and I'm not impressed.

Democracy at an all time high, you say? Cool...

Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
John Adams

Also, don't give me that shit about material items keeping my family alive. I mentioned cell phones and fancy shit that makes life easier. Last I checked, they don't need that shit to live.

Many people are going hungry on Earth BTW. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

We have a long way to go before I'd say being born here is anything worth bragging about. And to be clear, I said it was a pretty shitty deal, in many ways, to be born now. I did not say it was the worst.

Last edited:
People are often miserable, it doesn't seem to matter how much material crap they have. They don't seem to have a knowledge of joy. Why? Reasons are many, upbringing, competition, feeling controlled. The "freedom" most people have is pretty limited, they say 70 percent of the US pop hate their jobs and if that's so, that means they spend half their waking hours doing something they hate and some of their own time gearing up and resting for that job. I don't think any one of us should be presumptuous as to speak for people in the past or people today. As an Indian, I happen to have a hunch that my people were pretty content before all this other crap and I doubt if they spent much time complaining about political systems of the tribe and all that. The material stuff is soul bribery and it doesn't work very well.

Anyone rember the thread on a Honda website (IIRC) of the guy who went traveling through South America on his bike and hit a donkey? Saddest shit I have ever read on a forum.

Edit- found it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

After a few pages you can just stick to reading the TSs posts and slim the rest. I read it at work expecting it to be a cool adventure story to pass the time and some fucker started cutting onions next to me

Last edited:
^ I just woke up and read that thread, I feel miserable.

You can choose to see it that way if you'd like. Me? I don't, and I'm not impressed.
I find it really hard to see it any other way without blatantly ignoring or cherry picking from certain parts of human history. I'm not waying the world is good, nor that it couldn't be better, and certainly not that we shouldn't strive to make it better, but in nearly every respect, it has never actually been better.

Democracy at an all time high, you say? Cool...
John Adams isn't a very relevant pundit when it comes to the state of modern democracy, considering he preceeded most of it. It's not a good description for most of the world's democracies, and many of them has lasted for a very long time. No wide spread earlier form of government has done better.

Also, don't give me that shit about material items keeping my family alive. I mentioned cell phones and fancy shit that makes life easier. Last I checked, they don't need that shit to live.
I'm not giving you any shit. You asked if the world is better because we have material things, and the answer is a resounding "yes". It's just not because of the examples you listed.

Many people are going hungry on Earth BTW. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
I am painfully aware of that. I'm also very aware of that this is true for far fewer people than any previous time. Not good enough. Not by a far shot. But the best so far.

We have a long way to go before I'd say being born here is anything worth bragging about. And to be clear, I said it was a pretty shitty deal, in many ways, to be born now. I did not say it was the worst.
I'm not talking about bragging, I'm talking about appreciating. And I know you didn't say it was the worst, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that it has never been better.

Please understand that I'm not trying to say that people have some sort of obligation to be happy or feel fufilled because they have their material needs covered. They don't, and feelings of estrangement or a lack of meaning can be very real, and shouldn't be trivialised. I'm just saying that while such feelings will bring some people down, a lack of security, freedom or safety can be a source of despair for nearly anyone, and that these reasons for profound unhappiness are less widespread than at any previous point in recorded human history.

Now, "the best" might be shitty. That depends on your outlook on human civilization as a whole. I don't share your perspective on that, but I wholeheartedly agree that the best so far still isn't good enough.

Will you two get a fucking room?

This thread is about a classic sherdog thread which any sherdogger should know.

Will you two get a fucking room?

This thread is about a classic sherdog thread which any sherdogger should know.

This!

I'm curious if you have any info you were privy to the rest of us may not have been?

I ask because of your previous responsibilities here.

This!

I'm curious if you have any info you were privy to the rest of us may not have been?

I ask because of your previous responsibilities here.

If there were anything, I wouldn't be able to tell you, bud.

Back