Anyone Else Picking Melvin Guillard Because Of..

thats some dome that melvin has. I pick Melvin by KO, and Tyson esque speach when he is done.

Sounds like Melvin is talking crap, that's usually when he gets beat down

Varner stepped in on short notice against the great hype train of Barboza (coming off the Etim KO no less) and won. He's fought Bendo, Cerrone, Franca. I have a hard time believing Melvin "Rear Naked Joke" Guilliard would make him scared to fight.

Guilliard is talented when he's not mentally screwing himself, but I have to root against him after hearing him completely discredit the Lauzon loss like "that doesn't count, I'd smash him 100% of the time in rematches." Melvin gets furious at Lauzon talking back, but Joe didn't start until Melvin started insulting Joe after already tapping.

Seriously, the COMMISION WITH ACTUAL DOCTORS wouldn't clear him. Why do people think he randomly agreed to fight Melvin, went through a full training camp, and THEN pussed out?

I wonder if Melvin is still embarrassed from his interview after Varner pulled out. The reporter totally pwned him.

Melvin has no room to talk really. He has made his fair share of mistakes in the fight game...talked the talk and ended up getting KO'd, tapped, or finished in some sort of way. He has lost pretty much the same way soo many times its sad really. He has had so many chances in the UFC to get a title shot but couldn't earn it b/c he can't win against elite or near elite LW competition consistently. His best win in his UFC career is against Evan Dunham...top 10ish at the time but again Melvin CANNOT beat top fighters much less do it consistently. Which is everything.

Varner was not up 2 rounds, Lauzon won round 2 hands down, and yes I would pick Lauzon in a rematch

I had it 1-1 going in to the final round, I think Varner would beat him in a rematch.

Varner takes a late sub and Melvin fades into the low ranks of the LW division once again.

Exactly! Its not like he didnt want to fight, the doctors just wouldnt clear him. He was throwing up in front of them and said he'll be fine fight time.

Joe Rogan doesn't always tell the truth.

Definitely, that whole situation was very fishy.

As long as Melvin doesn't get subbed by every submission in the book, then Young Assassin by KO.

I will make my decision after the weigh ins for this one, but I would be on Varner strictly off of how good Varner looked in his last fight on short notice against Joe "First Round" Lauzon.

I am not sure, I didn't see any specification on whether or not it was due to a bad weight cut.

Does anyone have information on this?

Yes it was from a bad weight cut. At the intro for the Fox card, Rogan said the fight was scrapped because the commission wouldn't let him fight, the weight cut had too much of an effect and he was puking backstage.

I picked Meviln to win from the start by TKO, I maintain my pick.

Same here. Hopefully Varner's second weight cut in a month won't effect him too much. I was really looking forward to this fight.

What I find is unusual is that the line on Varner before TUF16 finale was around +120 before it closed. Now after Varner has been sick, the line is -125.

I'm picking Melvin now because I was unaware he was a greaser.

Actually if his team made those comments before the fight, that was pretty messed up. However, it doesn't change my opinion that Varner is a much better fighter than Melvin is, so I'm still picking Varner and hoping that he finishes him off.

Varner fought cowboy 2x and freakin Edson Barboza... he DEF not SCUURED of Melvin , that is just ridiculous

Was it an actual illness or was it his body's reaction to cutting weight? If he was really sick, he may have already lost a few lbs which might make his weight cut slightly easier this time around

I'm sure he recovered quick (or will) without the stress of cutting (for now) and can focus on peaking again

If anything, I think it puts Melvin at a disadvantage because now he's angry and doesn't do too well when he fights emotionally. His mental game will be off most likely

Dude gets knocked out once in 44 professional matches, and he has no chin?

C'mon.

yet he beat Barboza, dont count jamie out.

Neither could Melvin Guillard; in fact, Melvin lost to Joe Lauzon in 47 seconds.

He performed significantly better than Melvin.

Took that on short notice and was up 2 rounds until he hurt his hand and was forced to go for takedowns while gassed. Do you really think Lauzon would win a rematch? Even with all that considered, he did just a bit better against him than Guillard did.

Now that I re-read your post though, I kind of think you were trolling.

Varner took his last two fights, including the Lauzon match, on very short notice. Stupid reason to pick Melvin.

look guys. i've been a big fan of Varner for a long time. at one point i felt like i was the ONLY one defending him on these boards when he didn't continue against Cerrone. some of you will remember what i'm talking about. i'm not counting him out, i'm not trolling, and i'm betting i've been watching Varner fight longer than some of you have been fans. i simply don't think he can win.

but "he lasted longer than Melvin" is a silly response. he stood and banged with Loe Lauzon...and LOST. this is not a "who can sub who" scenario (IMHO) - Melvin loses by sub to guys who can get him down and sub him. can Varner do that? i don't think so.

if i'm right, that means he's going to be standing a LOT with Melvin. and that is bad news.

the fact Lauzon beat Varner standing but took him a few rounds and the fact that Lauzon subbed Melvin are indeed 2 facts, are not mutually exclusive, and have nothing to do with one another when it comes to a Varner/Guillard bout. Varner likes to mix it up standing, and if it's available he'll take it to the ground, not the other way around. and he ain't no Jeremy Stephens.

i stand by my comment. but sorry i didn't elaborate; i honestly assumed i wouldn't have to.

Back