Anyone else notice Joe Rogan is getting worse calling fights?

Nah.. he was decent, except he gets softer with age, stopping Gastelum was not an option.

No, but these guys aren't as good or as exciting leading up to these fights as guys in the past. Both title fights didn't feel like big fights. They were fun fights, but these cans weren't a draw.
Wut?

Rogan is part of UFC history and I am glad he is still commentating. You take the good calls with the bad, it’s part of life. No commentator will always get it right or say things that everyone is happy with, this is Sherdog we bitch about everything.
I always liked Joe. Its just been since his concern for damage fighters take and experts he has on his podcast that educated him on what can happen especially when Cat Zingano was on his podcast and she told Joe how she was never the same after Amanda Nunes gave her a barrage of punches that supposedly fucked up her thyroid and other brain issues. Not every fight can be stopped as soon as the guy drops, he never used to say a fighter was out or done so prematurely as now. It very well could be age.

I understand the criticism and that his current perspective won't appeal to everyone...those are indeed fair points.

With Rogan and DC, I just feel like I'm watching the fight more with hardcore fans who care about the sport and the fighters, than shills for the company/network who are inauthentic or just doing a job. I rarely cringe and never find them annoying or detracting from the broadcast the way I do with many others.

Rogan is no stranger to hyperbole and emotional (over)reaction lol...but I find it easy to put that into perspective when it occurs in the heat of the moment, and when considering that he is seeing and hearing those strikes right up close and is keenly aware of the consequences of 'too much' damage over a fighter's career. I would rather see a commentator err on his side than on the 'just bleed' side any day, tbh. Humanizing the violence a little bit is maybe not a bad thing?

to each their own though...I can see why he will take criticism for how he calls fights these days.
Yeah I guess, no doubt I have always appreciated the emotion he has towards fighters and whats going on in the cage I just dont think new fans watching ESPN hearing a commentator yelling "hes out! hes out, the ref should stop this now" maybe a little bad in terms of making it out as if the ref dont know what he is doing or MAYBE it could make someone more of a fan.

All I notice is Joe looks less and less healthy every time I see him

What else can he say though?

He's got to say something. He has 1 guy doing play by play to his left. One guy doing fighters perspective/analysis to his right... He's sitting in the middle expected to fill the silences with his "signature voice"

He has got worse for sure. Rogan has always had his favorites too, like when Holloway fought Ortega, I thought Rogan was awful on commentary, every time Ortega threw a basic punch Rogan went hysterical, yet Holloway was landing with like 8-9 punch combo's and Rogan was quiet.

I like Rogan. I just think the combination of him and DC is pretty horrible.

This is what I am talking about. I get he is concerned about the CTE issues, especially now when fighters like Ferguson, Penn and Hughes are losing their minds, allegedly, but if he is getting too sensitive with the sport maybe his time is up.
Yeah "STOP THE FIGHT!" like I get his concern as it is very admirable, but he goes a bit overboard at times (particularly with Gastelum/Adesanya)

Back