Anyone else not be able to move on with life?

I had a fantastic childhood, thanks to my mother. I grew up in the 80s and I'm obsessed with it. I bought all my memorable toys I had when I was a kid. I have all my favorite movies.

My mom passed away not so long ago. It's hard to describe how depressed I was. I feel like I can't move on with my life.

I have a good job, I make more money than I can spend. I travel all over the world, go on cruises, etc.. I buy whatever I want. I have a nice house in the richest part of the city. People are reaching out to me and I try to be more outgoing. I go club hopping, meet new people. I got into several hobbies. I was into mountain biking. I joined a local basketball league. I have no problems with girls as they're the ones that come up to me.

But life feels so empty. I feel like all I want is to do is talk to my mom. I've tried everything and I'm scared as nothing seems to work. Everyone around me is noticing that there's something wrong. I try to put up a wall, but I guess it's that obvious. I cry more often than I'd like to admit. Especially when I'm driving. Nothing seems to work and all I want to do is talk to my mom.

Girls come up to you....really? Where, why, and what do they look like?

I mean, I have no problem pulling either, but girls coming up to a guy on a regular basis is very rare. They look at me, but they don’t walk up and start talking to me.

Well, I thought this was going to be some emo millennial bullshit.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My Dad was taken early due to Pancreatic cancer. I was in denial in the months leading up to his passing, trying to convince myself he'd get better. I was with him... Well, let's just say I had a nice couple days with him during that last week. Amazingly, Blazing Saddles came on a random cable channel we were watching in his room. That movie and Young Frankenstein were one of his favorites.... Sorry, just rambling.

Anyway, hang in there.

I have a buddy who’s dad passed away when he was 13, is kinda like that tbh.

We are all parts of people who made us (parents, friends, teachers, role models). And when you have kids you realize that they are what remains of you when you go.

Your mom is you now, treat her right!

I had a fantastic childhood, thanks to my mother. I grew up in the 80s and I'm obsessed with it. I bought all my memorable toys I had when I was a kid. I have all my favorite movies.

My mom passed away not so long ago. It's hard to describe how depressed I was. I feel like I can't move on with my life.

I have a good job, I make more money than I can spend. I travel all over the world, go on cruises, etc.. I buy whatever I want. I have a nice house in the richest part of the city. People are reaching out to me and I try to be more outgoing. I go club hopping, meet new people. I got into several hobbies. I was into mountain biking. I joined a local basketball league. I have no problems with girls as they're the ones that come up to me.

But life feels so empty. I feel like all I want is to do is talk to my mom. I've tried everything and I'm scared as nothing seems to work. Everyone around me is noticing that there's something wrong. I try to put up a wall, but I guess it's that obvious. I cry more often than I'd like to admit. Especially when I'm driving. Nothing seems to work and all I want to do is talk to my mom.
welcome to the worst club in the world dude, once the veil of death is lifted for a person it changes them. It sounds like you were lucky and made it pretty far in life before having to face the cold hard facts. I was the same way, lost my finacee, and now the whole world looks different. I was a happy person too, and now its just not the same and it never will be. No advice, just good luck with the rest of your journey stranger on the internet.

I'm really sorry for your lost TS! I can't imagine how difficult it is. My mother is the most important person to me, she's 70 years old now and I'm suffering in anticipation, afraid of her passing away. I'm so scared of losing her, I love her so much. She's my rock, my friend and my consiglieri. I trust her with everything and she's a huge part of my life even though we live far from each other. I know I will suffer tremendously when she leave us, and tbh I'm scared of how I will react. I've been thinking of getting married lately and starting my own family, passing forward all the great lessons, example and unconditional love she gave it to me. I think having a family is a way to honour her and all my loved ones that helped me be who I'm. I also think having a family usually gives people a new meaning in life, a proper good reason to live, to improve as a person and be successful. A family man lifestyle is beneficial to just about anyone imo. Maybe that can help you. Think about that.

Your problem is not that you are not able to move on with life. You are moving on with life. Quite nicely if your post is accurate. You are just not seeing the colors and tasting the flavors.

My first question would be exactly how long is 'not so long ago'?

If this all happened within the past year, you should just cut yourself some slack. Takes time to bounce back from something like that.

But if your Mom has been dead for years, your problem- and I say this not as an insult, but merely as a behavior description-- is that you are being a pussy.

And for fuck sakes, just talk to your Mom. If you have time to cry alone in a car, you might as well have a conversation with your dead Mom in a car. I talk to my dead ancestors occasionally. And some of them have been dead for decades.

Find something you actually enjoy. Seems like you are just going through the motions of you’re in Bora Bora and thinking of Mom.

(Or you’re fucking broken inside and need therapy)

You’re still not over the loss, go see a therapist.

maybe think about living life in celebration of your mom. in other words, do things that you think would make her proud. that way, she is still a part of your life.

You need to expect that this is the life we all live, your mother meant a lot to you so pay it forward and mean a lot to someone else.

When first my way to fair I took
Few pence in purse had I,
And long I used to stand and look
At things I could not buy.

Now times are altered: if I care
To buy a thing, I can;
The pence are here and here's the fair,
But where's the lost young man?

- - To think that two and two are four
And neither five nor three
The heart of man has long been sore
And long 'tis like to be.

A.E. Housman

"Meet Me in St. Louis". The last one.
http://1.droppdf.com/files/Fiqww/how-to-be-alone-essays-jonathan-franzen.pdf

Reading this thread made me anxious. Don’t know how I will deal when my parents pass away.

Your mum wouldn’t want you to be depressed or miserable so maybe try and think of what she would want.

Maybe go and speak to a therapist also

Get a girlfriend. You not having a problem with girls implies you don't have one and are only having empty flings. You sound like you need someone to experience life with.
Not always the solution for everyone. Having good friends is just as good as a girlfriend for support

Back