Anyone else into biking?

At your price point you'll want a hardtail. You'll have to compromise too much on parts with a full suspension. I actually prefer a hardtail anyways.
It’s sad right now that you can’t even get a good hard tail for 1000. Weird times. Remember we were supposed to get things cheaper outsourcing all the manufacturing?? HAHAHAHAHA you could get a fantastic cannondale hardtail for $1000 10-15 years ago. We got fkn scammed and I’m not happy.

You wont get a decent road bike for that money. 1k is absolute minimum. Better wait and invest 1.5 - 2k and get some lowish mid tier components.

I'm currently in the process of finding a basket/rack for my bike that can fit a bucket of fried chicken comfortably.

You wont get a decent road bike for that money. 1k is absolute minimum. Better wait and invest 1.5 - 2k and get some lowish mid tier components.

Shiet I bought my first ever road bike last fall off craigslist for $250 and I'm already doing 40+ milers.

Shiet I bought my first ever road bike last fall off craigslist for $250 and I'm already doing 40+ milers.
You can of course. I started on a 250 bike aswell. But its way more fun to ride a new and good bike. I prefer my old and used steel frame campagnolo record from the 90s to any new 700 bucks roadbike. And i paid like 600 for it 10 years ago. Good components are way more fun.

I've been doing my commuting on a bike for years. Only weather that makes me use my car is heavy rain.

The funny thing is that all my friends are moving from aluminum bikes to carbon fiber bike, but I'm moving from aluminum bikes to steel bikes.

I got an adventure bike:
kona-sutra.jpg

and a mountain bike:
unit.jpg

Both have steel frames.

I had a Marin road bike some years ago, I wasn't hardcore into it but it was fun. Living in the desert is a challenge in itself with the blasting, high winds and drivers that either don't care or aim for you. So I sold it, I load up and hit the trails on foot now to avoid the noise and traffic. In a different area, I might consider it again.

I've been doing my commuting on a bike for years. Only weather that makes me use my car is heavy rain.

The funny thing is that all my friends are moving from aluminum bikes to carbon fiber bike, but I'm moving from aluminum bikes to steel bikes.

I got an adventure bike:
kona-sutra.jpg

and a mountain bike:
unit.jpg

Both have steel frames.
My first bike was a Kona Blast. They over charged me $100, and it was the best deal I ever got on anything.

Hell yeah!!! I am.........

5edb5e7891c338068be3885b.w800.jpg

Every morning Rapinda takes me out for a ride.........

I love cycling. I have a Bianchi Pista single speed that is my exercise bike that I wont lock up because they steal shit in NYC and I have a cheap Big Shot single speed that I will lock up when I'm running errands around town. I bought both while living in Manhattan where everything is flat but now that I'm in Brooklyn and there's lots of sneaky hills, I've been thinking about something with gears but I really don't want to store it so I'd probably have to give up the beater.

Sorry, with all due respect, get the fuck off of the motorways. Good to see youre not wearing spandex and I assume youre riding alone not side by side with three other psycholists. End rant.

Only areas where poor people live are devoid of bike lanes.

I've got a few vintage road bikes. My favorite is an old Kabuki that I dismantled and turned into a single speed cruiser. Painted it pinkish, because no one steals pink stuff. I have an old Raleigh Reliant frame that I'm unsure what to do with at the moment. Forget the years on both of them, I'd have to check the serial numbers. Most of the time I just ride my old GT Rockhopper that I bought for 20 bucks at a thrift store.

I had a Marin road bike some years ago, I wasn't hardcore into it but it was fun. Living in the desert is a challenge in itself with the blasting, high winds and drivers that either don't care or aim for you. So I sold it, I load up and hit the trails on foot now to avoid the noise and traffic. In a different area, I might consider it again.
Wind is the ancient and eternal enemy of the biking man.

I got an adventure bike:
kona-sutra.jpg

and a mountain bike:
unit.jpg

Both have steel frames.

Nice.

I'm moving from steel to titanium. I've never trusted carbon Fibre frames.

Nice.

I'm moving from steel to titanium. I've never trusted carbon Fibre frames.

Main problem with carbon is most companies make them too light or they're made in China where the process control is shit. Frames made in Taiwan that aren't stupid light are usually quite reliable, I've beaten the hell out of my bike for 6 years & counting and crashed it hard many times with no damage. Still, I consider it to be somewhat disposable and don't expect it to last 20+ years like a good steel or titanium bike.

As for titanium, there's not too many manufacturers I'd trust to be honest. Moots, Seven Cycles, old Ibis, older Merlins, and frames made by Sandvik for a number of companies are the good ones, most of the others are buyer beware and anything from China is junk. There's only a handful of mills producing high quality titanium tubing in bicycle sizes and welding it properly takes a lot more attention to detail than steel. Lots of manufacturers source the wrong tubing or mess up the welding so the frame often rides poorly or cracks apart prematurely. But when it's done right it rides better than anything else and lasts pretty much forever.

Main problem with carbon is most companies make them too light or they're made in China where the process control is shit. Frames made in Taiwan that aren't stupid light are usually quite reliable, I've beaten the hell out of my bike for 6 years & counting and crashed it hard many times with no damage. Still, I consider it to be somewhat disposable and don't expect it to last 20+ years like a good steel or titanium bike.

As for titanium, there's not too many manufacturers I'd trust to be honest. Moots, Seven Cycles, old Ibis, older Merlins, and frames made by Sandvik for a number of companies are the good ones, most of the others are buyer beware and anything from China is junk. There's only a handful of mills producing high quality titanium tubing in bicycle sizes and welding it properly takes a lot more attention to detail than steel. Lots of manufacturers source the wrong tubing or mess up the welding so the frame often rides poorly or cracks apart prematurely. But when it's done right it rides better than anything else and lasts pretty much forever.
@Brandon Wilson you might want to go the high end steel route. Still fun stuff to be had there. Fellow Canadian Landyachtz makes custom steel frames that are gorgeous.

upload_2021-3-21_15-23-19.jpeg

. Most of the time I just ride my old GT Rockhopper that I bought for 20 bucks at a thrift store.
I used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper. 20 bucks is a crazy deal. Unless GT is the make, not model. In which case I'm not familiar with the bike.

I used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper. 20 bucks is a crazy deal. Unless GT is the make, not model. In which case I'm not familiar with the bike.

Whoops, you are correct. I have a Specialized Rockhopper that I use most often. Yeah, got it for 20 bucks. When I took it to the bike store to get it all tuned up, my bike guy was super jealous. Also have a GT Backwoods, got them conflated.

Whoops, you are correct. I have a Specialized Rockhopper that I use most often. Yeah, got it for 20 bucks. When I took it to the bike store to get it all tuned up, my bike guy was super jealous. Also have a GT Backwoods, got them conflated.
Fucker! Lol.

That's a hell of a deal even if it's an old model.

Back