Anyone else IMPRESSED with Melvin?

I was imbressed with his leg kicks.

Other than that - I was not imbressed by his performance.

I don't get guys like guillard or anybody for that matter who is losing the fight with a minute to go. Guillard didn't seem that tired in rd 3, Varner looked spent. Why not just go all out for the win like rogan said. Just gamble! You've lost anyway on points, go all out for the win!

No not at all his tdd is getting worse and he keeps getting blasted by graplers. He looks to be going backward in all aspects of the game

I never thought I would see MG go for subs. I think he would be a BEAST if his grappling and ground game was as good as his striking.
I immediately thought of:

300px-Marcelo_garcia.jpg

and then lol'd

lol please dont call melvin MG. there is already an MG and he is the GOAT of subs. lol

I never thought I would see MG go for subs. I think he would be a BEAST if his grappling and ground game was as good as his striking.

What? No. Melvin sucks. He's always sucked. He looks way more dangerous than he is.

At a certain point you are who you are. Melvin is who he is. He's going to come out and bully you, and if you bully him back, he'll get discouraged and lose.

I was impressed that he didn't get subbed 30 seconds after the fight hit the ground.

C'mon, he did a good job on the ground. He escaped several times, he had that armbar attempt, and he took top position himself a couple times.
He was fighting all the way to the end.

Melvin will be lucky if he doesn't get cut. Looked way too timid tonight. Don't know if his strategy was to counter, reminded me of the Jeremy Stephens fight.

Either way Varner was pushing the pace most of the fight, had relative ease taking Melvin down. Thought Melvin's TDD was better.

He is washed up dude. He better be good at golf, or get ready for the gas pumps

Regardless of whether or not he is kicked out of the ufc, Melvin always has a job in MMA.

not hating on Mel but he looked like he always does OooO he went for sub i hope so with more then 50 pro fights lol mel is who he is...:eek:

C'mon, he did a good job on the ground. He escaped several times, he had that armbar attempt, and he took top position himself a couple times.
He was fighting all the way to the end.

I was impressed that he showed some tenacity and did more than just give up and hope to ride out the round when the fight hit the ground.

I just don't think it's a harbinger of things to come.

I don't get guys like guillard or anybody for that matter who is losing the fight with a minute to go. Guillard didn't seem that tired in rd 3, Varner looked spent. Why not just go all out for the win like rogan said. Just gamble! You've lost anyway on points, go all out for the win!

I actually thought Melvin looked like he was taking deep breaths even in the first round and was happy for him that he maintained composure and fought the whole fight.

You could see the difference in ability when they both tired in the 3rd round. Melvin still relies too much on his power. And when tired that fades much more than actual technique.

I can't say I'm impressed, considering he's gone 1-4 over the past year. Before then, he was on a 5 fight win streak and looked to be much improved and even a potential title contender if he could continue his winning ways. Unfortunately, he didn't and now he's just back to being another undercard/free fight night guy. It's a damned shame to see his talent go to waste. You can tell he has the physique and speed/power to go a long ways, but his inconsistency and stubbornness has been detrimental to his ability to climb the ladder and stay at (or near) the top.

Last edited:
Back