anyone else impressed by lindland's ability to shut down top notch grapplers off

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Lindland...may be a boring fighter and an off bore; nonetheless he has shown an innate ability to eff shut down whoever he has faced in regards to their ability to apply subs..chain together submission...reverse..sweep or transition to subs..
There have been many top notch wresttlers who have been unable to maintain the dominace..positional control w/out being subbed or off blunted; i.e. they can't even eff land any sort of strikes. Matt can't hit...at all; but unlike other wrestlers he can actually land his shots...
I for one am impressed randleman...couture...coleman...trigg..hughes...henderson..and countless others have been exposed and tapped on numerous occassions by a variety of submission grapplers; yet with the exception of busta lindland has not been subbed, controlled or even really swept or anything else.
i don't know how to explain how or what he does, but all i know is almeida...lutter..doerkensen...semenov....weir..and countless others have not been able to do a thing w/him in the area of submission.
Any of you guys impressed or do u feel he just stalls..an if so how come none of the other wrestlers can eff do the same...randy has been tapped 2 times...randleman 2 times... coleman once...henderson 2 times...trigg three times..and so on and so on.

They all are just a bunch of haters. I may be slightly biased to liking Lindland because hes a TQ guy (right by me) but I find him fun to watch. I don't think it is stalling at all since he is constantly pushing the pace.

Linland isn't really fun to watch imo. I can appreicate good controll and a good base and sub defense as much as the next guy, but his GnP is just plain lame and the guillotine being your best sub...well....its not doing it for me. Overeem isnt my favorite fighter either :p

Honestly I was enjoying Doerkson's sweeps more then anything Matt did.

I-Shoji said:
and the guillotine being your best sub...well....its not doing it for me. Overeem isnt my favorite fighter either :p.
Then you need to watch Pequeno Nogueira in action my friend. That guy could guillotine a giraffe, I swear to christ.

He was the same way in wrestling, very tough to score on and didn't light up the scoreboard on offense, definitely not a Randy Lewis type wrestler

lee.l. said:
Then you need to watch Pequeno Nogueira in action my friend. That guy could guillotine a giraffe, I swear to christ.
But a giraffe has a long neck to attack, wouldn't a better example be a no-neck animal like a pig?, hence the nickname hog neck for a guy with no neck.

Um... am I the only one who saw Lutter and Doerkson sweep him several times?

He has also been taken down several times..including his last fight.

But yes overall he has a good base and good submission defense.

But then again thats easier to do when you dont really "go for it"

RuleOfSteel2 said:
But a giraffe has a long neck to attack, wouldn't a better example be a no-neck animal like a pig?, hence the nickname hog neck for a guy with no neck.
True, but I still envision attempting a guillotine on a giraffe as a difficult task. Guillotine a python perhaps?

RuleOfSteel2 said:
He was the same way in wrestling, very tough to score on and didn't light up the scoreboard on offense, definitely not a Randy Lewis type wrestler
And where is Randy Lewis from originally you ask? South Dakota bitches.

Yes, I'm impressed. The fact that he could get swept indicates that he's not just sitting in base. He's constantly working to pass guard, and he's getting better with every fight. If his GNP had any power, he'd be a bad man.

Lindland has routinely shut down the coveted black belt fighters, shut down their sub games, and has beaten the much talked about "exciting fighters" as well. People biitch and complain that he isn't exciting, but he beats the asses of just about all the "exciting" fighters he faces..... Poor little WWE fans will just have to suffer while watching a REAL fighter kick ass, while their "exciting" idols get their asses handed to them.....sorry kids

lee.l. said:
True, but I still envision attempting a guillotine on a giraffe as a difficult task. Guillotine a python perhaps?

It would be tough. How do your get leverage guillotining a giraffe?

I'm impressed by Lindland. I think he should get his title shot too...

May l suggest a RNC to choke out the poor giraffe? :D U still might have problems to get the hooks in though. Just an idea l got while drinking coffee

well he got tapped pretty quickly in ADCC but then that was against werdum and jacare

I think the reason Linland hasn't really been beat from the guard in MMA is his base. He has tremendous base and balance while in the guard. A lot of lower calibre wrestlers over extend their upper bodies and get swept or tapped, Lindland is the first pure wrestler to conquer the sweep.

Yes, Joe did sweep him once ( I was rooting for the Dirt! ) but all in all Lindland controlled the ground game. Grapplers take note: You will not win against Lindland from the guard or any inferior position.
Punch his ass and sprawl for all you are worth.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]Busta owned him twice in one fight.[/QUOTE]
the first time i saw him fight was against busta,with his tapping and lying,so i dont like him

i am impressed to..i like to watch his fights carefully, his def and counters are great...i breakdown every moment of his fights; he is BORING, nonetheless he is very skilled and measured in his fights.. and i respect/app what he does...

it's like a pernell whittake or willie pep in mma on the ground, not exciting in an obvious way; but very much so in regards to the sublt and finer points of the game...

if he could hit..man he would be a beast

i study what he does..an i like it cus when i grapple i am big on def, reversals, ecapes, counters and control; people give me respect for it and i have always been a fan of def standing or on the ground, so can app wht he does and who he does it against.

Back