Anyone else have trouble liking Frankie?

I like Frankie. He's gritty as hell, and I don't find his style boring. You can throw the kitchen sink at the guy and he'll still keep moving forward.

I generally don't mind point fighters or people who think they never, ever lose but put them together and you have a pretty intolerable mix, especially when he's benefited from questionable judging as well and still wants to throw his hat or hang his head when things don't go his way. I don't hate him, though, nor do I disregard his skills, heart, and accomplishments. I just don't think I'll ever be able to cheer for him.

I've never been a fan of his style, and always found him slightly annoying on a personal level. Still one of the best fighters in the UFC though, and has given us some great fights and moments.

If Ronda and Fedor had a kid and Frankie Edgar and Holly Holmes had a kid, given that they were the same weight, who would win?

I've never been a fan of his style, and always found him slightly annoying on a personal level. Still one of the best fighters in the UFC though, and has given us some great fights and moments.

What about him is annoying?

I mean realistically, most mma fans should love him. Hes a very well rounded fighter, has defeated BJ when no one thought he could, has a great work ethic, and probably has the most heart of any fighter in mma.

But I find myself disliking the guy. I find him a boring point fighter. His stand up really reminds me of stand up lay n pray, or wall n stall. Maybe i just dislike fighters who dont go for the finish.
I really hope he fights Conor at some point, I think Conor can KO him and really think that would be the greatest thing for mma. I mean do we really want our champ to be a point fighter? It just boggles my mind when mma fans want to see Conor lose so bad, theyd want a point fighter to be champ. (Assuming Conor gets past Aldo, which contrary to meathead belief isnt going to be even remotely easy.)

You need to rewatch his soul-devourings of Cub and BJ 3. Faber was a weird style matchup, that fight was destined to go to decision.

What about him is annoying?

The way he whined and demanded an immediate title rematch (and got it) after dropping 4 rounds to Benson was not a good look. Soured me on him for a couple of years too.

wait... you don't liek "fighters" who militantly avoid fighting and whine like crazy when they don't get their way?

i don't care for him or any fighter with his tendancies

point fighter
begging for titleshots
sore loser/can't accept he's been beaten

I don't like him (as a fighter) because I'm not a fan of pointfighters. It alienates the rules and spits in the face of the spirit of martial arts, imo. I even stopped liking GSP, who I was one of my favorite fighters, when he became a pointfighter.

I really want to like Edgar. Seems like a nice guy, obviously works very hard and has tremendous heart and toughness. I started to warm up to him when he fought with some more aggression against Cub and BJ. Then he went right back to trying to win the rounds instead of the fight against Faber. I know he has the ability to be more aggressive and be successful with it, but he chooses to play it too safe and is content with that. Pointfighting is the leading cause of close/controversial decisions and lackluster fights. It's the reason Tristar fighters have far more controversial fights than they do finish wins (about 3-4 times as many). That's bad for the sport and martial arts.

I keep hoping Edgar will finally get it, and I thought he did but then he coasted against Faber. Hopefully, when Mendes got the fill-in title shot, Edgar finally got the hint once and for all.

This is a great post, I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I respect, admire and hold no ill will against him, but I'm certainly not a fan.

its more like you dont have the understanding to be able to tell if someone is trying to finish their opponent or is just trying to win the decision

you can be skilled and still commit to putting your opponent away. fedor was amazingly skilled, but he had very little downtime and threw mostly power shots that were hard enough to ko an opponent. frankie doesnt stop moving long enough to sit down on his punches and hit hard enough to ko his opponent, he also spends a lot of time circling away to run the clock down.

i dont know why nuthuggers get away with the "hes just not finishing guys because hes too skilled" argument. if you dont finish your opponent, its either because you were unable to or you werent trying to, because you were focused on winning a decision

I would like to submit this along with the OP into evidence supporting my previous statement that most fans do not care or understand skill in mma.

Please create more arguments refuting comments I did not make. If you're so insecure and my comments upset you enough to create and imaginary narrative that I didn't not mention that is on you not me.

If you think Fedor's striking was technical in the least you are exactly whom I am referring to. While effective Fedor was just a brawler looking for that one punch. The "best" fighters on Fedor's record he did not finish. Fedor's two most famous losses come from his reliance on the one punch.

Sorry to break this to you but finish rate does not equate directly to skill. If it did it would indicate that GSP's reign was one of the least skilled in UFC championship history.

Your mind is wrapped by SD revisionist history. I'd suggest you watch more fights and post less. While you're not posting go back an rewatch some older fights and then come talk to us about skill level champ.

Last edited:
I used to like watching him fight before the mic was put in front of him more often, he is another guy that is absolutely full of himself. Style wise he is entertaining when he goes for the finish, if he is content to dance around point fighting...oh boy long night.

Only "just bleed brah" jackasses think he's boring. He's what Mayweather would be if he actually went for the finish: a brilliant tactician who also goes for it.

There are hardly any parallels between Mayweather's and Edgar's styles.

I used to like watching him fight before the mic was put in front of him more often, he is another guy that is absolutely full of himself. Style wise he is entertaining when he goes for the finish, if he is content to dance around point fighting...oh boy long night.

He's on the front foot more often than not. The only fights in recent memory where he fought more on the backfoot were BJ 3 and the Oliveira fight which was a great fight where he frequently hurt Oliveira. You guys don't need to like Edgar, but your criticisms should actually be grounded in reality.

Condit, Hunt and Edgar are the most lovable fighters right now, I mean who can dislike those guys?

I want to see more of Conors TDD and ground game, but to think he cant put Frankie away is silly. Frankie can be hit, especially by a guy who is a master at punch precision. I think he follows a similar plan to Mendes, work Frankies body then smash him on the feet. He has even less to worry about as far as being hit than with Mendes, because Frankie usually doesnt hit very hard.

When I watched him against Mendes, I saw a guy who was very relaxed and attacking from the bottom. Yes he was taken down easily, but I think it was a gameplan choice, so he wouldnt tire out. He was banking his body shots and a short camp would sap Mendes cardio and he was right.

It will be interesting, but honestly I dont think conor gets past Aldo. People forget Aldo has been fighting only wrestlers for YEARS, and the threat of a take down changes how a stand up fighter fights. Against Conor he doestn have to hold back, and Conor takes shots to give them. Aldo is a beast and their fight will remind everyone why he hasnt lost a fight in a long time (that and he probably pulls out of fights hes not mentally and physically ready for).

lol

Exactly

I was going to post that until I saw you did and had it in your sig!

tumblr_m38z9f4bh31ql46ngo1_500.gif

No. He's one of the most humble and hardworking fighters out there. A smothering, wresting-based top game is not boring to me if the fighter is always working to improve position. But I realize that other fans may not enjoy that style.

Back