Anyone else have trouble liking Frankie?

Frankie is awesome. I can't relate to anyone who doesn't like him.

Edgar is a beast. BEen a fan since right before the first BJ Penn fight.

He's a great fighter. I thought he beat Bendo both times, which considering the size difference is pretty amazing

When he beat Tyson Griffin I predicted he would become UFC champ.

But honestly, I haven't enjoyed one of his fights since he fought Gray. He used to be so much more aggressive...

This thread is a perfect example that many mma fans do not understand or care about the skill level fighters. In fact it's evidence that many believe it is a hinderance to exciting fights.

I mean realistically, most mma fans should love him. Hes a very well rounded fighter, has defeated BJ when no one thought he could, has a great work ethic, and probably has the most heart of any fighter in mma.

But I find myself disliking the guy. I find him a boring point fighter. His stand up really reminds me of stand up lay n pray, or wall n stall. Maybe i just dislike fighters who dont go for the finish.

I really hope he fights Conor at some point, I think Conor can KO him and really think that would be the greatest thing for mma. I mean do we really want our champ to be a point fighter? It just boggles my mind when mma fans want to see Conor lose so bad, theyd want a point fighter to be champ. (Assuming Conor gets past Aldo, which contrary to meathead belief isnt going to be even remotely easy.)

his constantly whining about judging doesn't help either - especially in those fights he clearly lost like the Aldo fight

Nah, Ben Henderson is a better fighter and cooler guy. Dat swag.

Suck it, Edgar and fans :)

Yes. He jumps around like crazy and throws the same hand combinations all the time. And he's a 'guido'. I don't like him at all.

he seems like a cool guy and i dont dislike him as a person. but i dont root for any fighter whos style revolves around winning decisions without hurting/finishing their opponent

im really sick of his fighting style and amount of rematches. his style is already repetitive enough and is very conducive to controversial decisions, which makes it annoying when he complains about the decision

It's hard not to like his toughness and balls/courage. I'm not a fan of his style as he's really put on some snoozefests where there was no longer any point in watching the fight. Sure, he's going to win the decision, but I'm never on the edge of my seat because there's a good chance something incredible might happen. I also don't like the way he acts surprised when the judges don't gift him the decision.... kind of pisses me off that he's not willing to wholly engage in the fight but still wants to reap the rewards.

So yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion on Sherdog, but I'm not a fan. As for not liking him, well, that's pretty tough to be honest.

pretty much how i feel. he does the same thing every round of every fight, except against bj and cub OR if hes getting destroyed. if youve seen one round, youve seen them all. i really dont want to sit through another 5 rounds of him running in circles throwing a million low powered shots while his opponent lands a few hard strikes, then the judges have to figure out which one scores more

the blantant point fighting he tried to do with aldo, did with uriah, benson and others is disgusting. so im not a fan

He's one of the most boring fighters in the UFC today (excluding flyweights and women). Of course I have trouble liking him.

7 time FOTN recipient is boring...right...

Frankie is just plain unlikeable, just like Saku and Hunt.

This thread is a perfect example that many mma fans do not understand or care about the skill level fighters. In fact it's evidence that many believe it is a hinderance to exciting fights.

its more like you dont have the understanding to be able to tell if someone is trying to finish their opponent or is just trying to win the decision

you can be skilled and still commit to putting your opponent away. fedor was amazingly skilled, but he had very little downtime and threw mostly power shots that were hard enough to ko an opponent. frankie doesnt stop moving long enough to sit down on his punches and hit hard enough to ko his opponent, he also spends a lot of time circling away to run the clock down.

i dont know why nuthuggers get away with the "hes just not finishing guys because hes too skilled" argument. if you dont finish your opponent, its either because you were unable to or you werent trying to, because you were focused on winning a decision

I don't like him (as a fighter) because I'm not a fan of pointfighters. It alienates the rules and spits in the face of the spirit of martial arts, imo. I even stopped liking GSP, who I was one of my favorite fighters, when he became a pointfighter.

I really want to like Edgar. Seems like a nice guy, obviously works very hard and has tremendous heart and toughness. I started to warm up to him when he fought with some more aggression against Cub and BJ. Then he went right back to trying to win the rounds instead of the fight against Faber. I know he has the ability to be more aggressive and be successful with it, but he chooses to play it too safe and is content with that. Pointfighting is the leading cause of close/controversial decisions and lackluster fights. It's the reason Tristar fighters have far more controversial fights than they do finish wins (about 3-4 times as many). That's bad for the sport and martial arts.

I keep hoping Edgar will finally get it, and I thought he did but then he coasted against Faber. Hopefully, when Mendes got the fill-in title shot, Edgar finally got the hint once and for all.

his skills are undeniable but yeah his style is batshit boring usually.

And he would fucking ruin Mcgregor, one thing that Frankie isn't short on is heart and endurance, he is the worst fight at 145 for Mcgregor. BY FAR

yeah, he's only had nine or so OTN awards (Fight of the Night and so on) and a fight of the year. He looked awesome against cub, and presses the action constantly. he might not have a lot of power, but i don't give a shit and find him always fun to watch.

i've been a fan since that really fun fight between him and tyson griffin.

its more like you dont have the understanding to be able to tell if someone is trying to finish their opponent or is just trying to win the decision

you can be skilled and still commit to putting your opponent away. fedor was amazingly skilled, but he had very little downtime and threw mostly power shots that were hard enough to ko an opponent. frankie doesnt stop moving long enough to sit down on his punches and hit hard enough to ko his opponent, he also spends a lot of time circling away to run the clock down.

i dont know why nuthuggers get away with the "hes just not finishing guys because hes too skilled" argument. if you dont finish your opponent, its either because you were unable to or you werent trying to, because you were focused on winning a decision

Exactly.

Back