Anyone else going crazy over the "Ronda tried to strike" stuff?

Mattitude V1

WAR CONDIT
@Silver
Reaction score
It's like people have no idea how she won her fights before Holm. They have no explanation as to how she gets into the clinch at all.

Ronda never tried to strike, she just failed to clinch.
Actually that's not even the whole truth. When she got there she got shoved away like an annoying gnat.

Actually that's not even the whole truth. When she got there she got shoved away like an annoying gnat.

Yeah, she has to throw to get into the clinch and her last opponents have just learned to catch her in those moments.

Herb Dean should have also taken a point for Ronda grabbing the cage.
rb9lifltrokwnjwn8rsk.gif

Holm had to defend several hip throws in their fight and defended an arm bar on the ground too. People still claim Ronda tried to outbox Holly.

Last edited:

This. For all of the talk about Ronda facing decent strikers for the first time, she also seems to have serious issues with opponents who are larger and too strong to be pushed around.

Holm had to defend several hip throws in their fight and defended an arm bar on the ground too. People still claim Ronda thought she tried to outbox Holly.

Yeah, I didn't understand how people could walk away with that assessment at all. She was desperate to get into the clinch after the first few clean shots that Holm landed.

Yeah, I didn't understand how people could walk away with that assessment at all. She was desperate to get into the clinch after the first few clean shots that Holm landed.
No need to kick a dead horse Ronda failed to evolve with the sport. But she convinced Dana to open up WMMA in the UFC so she will always be a pioneer. Am I a fan? No but the first time it was her talking all this shit. Now she lost to a better fighter and people still want to kick a dead horse. It's over she had a remarkable run.

This. For all of the talk about Ronda facing decent strikers for the first time, she also seems to have serious issues with opponents who are larger and too strong to be pushed around.
Absolutely, this really is a point that's largely overseen imo.
Holm and Nunes not only were her first opponents with a good striking game, they also were the first opponents she couldn't bully around like a little child. With all the 'Judo's only about technique' circle jerk people underestimated how much of a physical advantage Ronda had over a lot opponents.

She's just not that good. If Jackson-Wink wasnt the most absurdly over conservative coaching team in history, Holly would have ko’d Ronda in the first.

Yeah, not sure why people keep saying that she was trying to strike with Nunes. She just doesn't have good set ups to close the distance. It's just that before nobody didn't make her pay for it (or just wasn't good enough to do so). I used to shake my head at how Babalu tried to close the distance with Chuck in his two fights back in the day. Boy, after seeing Ronda, I have to admit I was too harsh on him all these years. Sorry Babalu Sobral.

Same shit a lot of people said about Alvarez...

They both got shut down.

Every fight starts standing. Ronda no more tried to strike than a guy who jumped off a bridge tried to fly.

She won for a long time, until the best of her division learned how to deal with her. Effectively defend her clinch and toss threat, and she becomes a sitting duck on the feet to any fighter with good hands.

Rousey used to just walk straight through the punches and get the clinch and her opponents obliged her by grabbing onto Ronda when she grabbed them, thereby making it easy for her to throw them to the ground. Holm had enough sense to throw punches when Ronda came straight forward and then move the hell out of her clinch. Ronda tried the same thing against Nunes but she couldnt walk through her punches like she is used to doing.

Maybe it's just me, but if she just can't walk forward and get the clinch, maybe she needs to learn to be patient and not just walk into punches. Maia is a one trick pony, but he at least knows how to get the fight where he wants it instead of just marching forward into shots.

Soon as Ronda got backed up and lit up she should have just fallen into guard and if Nunes followed try for an armbar. Not sure why you try to grab a cage when you're getting lit up, you're safer on the ground. Bad instincts. Not a good fighter.

Maybe it's just me, but if she just can't walk forward and get the clinch, maybe she needs to learn to be patient and not just walk into punches. Maia is a one trick pony, but he at least knows how to get the fight where he wants it instead of just marching forward into shots.

Funny you mention Maia because that's the name that has been coming up in my mind in this whole Rousey discussion. Sure, she needs to switch camps to really work on her striking but lets face it, she is never going to be some striking virtuoso. So it's more about learning good defense and enough skills to at least frustrate better strikers. However, it would also not be a bad idea to pick the brain of the one grappler who not only gets the job done in spectacular fashion but also is notorious for taking a ridiculously low amount of damage while doing it. I am aware that both are not the same type of grappler and perhaps what Maia does only he can do. However, at the very least, Ronda could take learn a few things about distance and timing from him. Not saying, that she should join his team full time but at least reach out to the guy.

Maybe if she just worked on her kicking too instead of just boxing...

Back