Anyone else function better when they are tired?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Chinballs, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Chinballs

Chinballs Black Belt

Sup,

I experience that I function much better when I am tired. I am way more creative, better at writing, playing music, speaking - pretty much everything. I experience the difference to be very significant.

I can't really name a single thing I am better at when I am not tired.

And by that, I mean when I have skipped a nights sleep. I feel the sweet spot when it crosses over.

If I wake up at let's say 9 in the morning. This switch in consciousness would be around 3-4 in the morning after skipping said nights sleep.

Is anyone else like this? Can anyone tell me why it is like this and hopefully, how can I get there without losing nights of sleep all the time?

derpy derp.

2. Harmonica

Harmonica Strong, silent type

I have the same trait. I think it is more about being emotionally charged rather than tired. This state of mind comes to us in the night because it triggers an inherited, evolutionary fear of the unknown which in turn makes us all intense.

3. Chinballs

Chinballs Black Belt

Well sure, old "Nights watchmen" instincts and all that. But I can't really say that I feel any fear when this happends, it's quite the opposite.

When the cross over comes, any negativity gets dumped in the trash in the matter of seconds. I can literally feel it happened. It's like a part of the brain is waking up and going "Oh, so you're doing this boring shit - Assuming direct control (queue mass effect 3 sound effects)"

After that everything is very fascinating and very engaging.

It would be cool to activate this state of mind by will rather than having to go through that drudgery.

If I were to write a book, or do any form of creative work, I would have to consistently do this at these windows... Which would turn my life upside down since I have to get the sleep back somehow as well.

4. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

I can name an infinite amount of things: math, basic directions, logic, and so on. What you're better at is turning off inhibitions. That's why people keep dream journals. you can be creative if you aren't thinking about when your taxes are due.

5. Gus Fring

Gus Fring Brown Belt

I suppose. I'm always writing essays while I'm tired............ the thought of finally crashing into the mattress is motivating.

6. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I used to work better tired/hungover. That was in my teens and 20's though. Now I needs my sleep to work.

7. Cake4Breakfast

Cake4Breakfast Gold Belt

Could you possibly be having a manic episode when you feel that way? Why are you skipping a night of sleep?

8. Harmonica

Harmonica Strong, silent type

I never said anything about fear. That's why I used the word "intense" instead of "anxious". Intensity as in enhanced version of whatever feeling you're currently dealing with.

I am writing a book and these "windows" as you call them usually appear in the evening or late in the night. I always look to seize them. The only state of mind that was even more rich in this quality that we're talking about struck me when I would spend the whole night fully awake, experiencing some really intense situations, and end it with greeting the sun in the morning. Nothing tops the inspiration that captured me in those moments.

9. scrubido

scrubido Brown Belt

No, I'm useless when I'm tired. My wife turns it up a notch when she's tired though.

10. Merlotte's

Merlotte's Silver Belt

You're not better when you're tired. You've simply stopped giving a shit. I'm certain the same mistakes are being made but you may be less critical of your actions.

11. Chinballs

Chinballs Black Belt

It's definitely about inhabitions. Like filters, powered by the brain are the first to go when the resources run thin.

It's something I've tried to rid more or less my entire life. I'm a very 'moody' player so to speak.

Hehe, I kinda feel like this should be a resource of mine instead of a circumstance. I'm sure like minded people feel the same.

So, anyone got a crash course in destroying inhabitions? (if you can point me the right way it's all good <3) <:

I don't even know what they are exactly, I don't have problems socially or anything like that.

Skipping sleep to increase creativity.

Might be a tad guilty of the manic part, dunno how far it stretches. I tend to obsess a whole lot about things I get interessted in.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. zackryder

zackryder Long Island Iced Z Platinum Member

its all about the lvl of arousal u have.

for simple tasks, higher arousal is needed to perform better

for complex/unfamiliar tasks, lower lvls of arousal is needed to sustain better performance

do u even yerkes dodson bro?

[​IMG]

13. Chinballs

Chinballs Black Belt

Sorry bro, I don't yerkes dodson ^^

PS. I suck at mornings. Like zombie level kind of suck.

PS2. I know yerkes dodson, hit lucky and found exactly what you are talking aboot (ayyyy Canada). Interesting.

I had much anxiety when I was younger and pretty late into life. But got rid of that finally. Makes sense, I'm a high energy type of individual.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  14. Cake4Breakfast

Cake4Breakfast Gold Belt

As long as it is functional for you, lots of amazingly creative people have been at their most creative in manic states. The issue is if it stops being functional, and if you have control over it.

15. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Hell no. I'm on day 11 of 16+ hour days and I'm dragging ass horribly

16. bcordova

bcordova Brown Belt

In my early 20's I was like that. Now in my early 30's I can't handle the tired. I don't even have kids yet. That's gonna be rough.

17. da1nonlyBAYCAT

da1nonlyBAYCAT Blue Belt

it's not the exact same thing, but I am more productive late at night than at any other part of the day. I get a lot more cleaning, organizing, and work stuff done. Not sure why, maybe less distractions or something. Missing a whole night of sleep would make me less productive and efficient, creativity I'm not sure about.

18. BJPenn2012

BJPenn2012 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I am almost thinking of seeing how many days in a row I can stay up and what it'll do to me, I'm getting sick of smoking bud all the time as well. Might quit and stay up at the same time see what it does to me.

19. Lethal_Striker

Lethal_Striker Silver Belt

No, I'm usually just going through the motions of doing something when I'm tired. Like I'll get something done but I won't go above and beyond to accomplish it.

20. HwoarangStyle

HwoarangStyle Red Belt

[​IMG]