Anyone else found the judging in PRIDE to be much better?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Straightcross, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Straightcross

Straightcross Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

A decision was made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:

The effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission
    Damage given to the opponent
    Standing combinations and ground control
    Takedowns and takedown defense
    Aggressiveness
    Weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more)

Sonny Qc likes this.
  2. TourIsOverBoyo

TourIsOverBoyo Banned Banned

Their judging criteria was better, and they probably had less screwy decisions on the whole, but they still had screwy decisions nonetheless

WinZip likes this.
  3. screaminleeman

screaminleeman Red Belt

Yes and no.

I liked some of the criteria they used as much or better than is used by judges in the UFC. I think the national bias of the Japanese judging was the most severe I have ever seen in any "major" MMA promotion!

There was a reason Japanese were dominant in PRIDE FC, and can't buy a win in the USA!

4. WaylonMercy5150

WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

Nog vs. Ricco was a terrible call by the judges

chubbman likes this.
  5. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

Way less robbery imo.

Rampage Vs Ninja maybe.

(and I'm a huge fan of Page btw)

6. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

Was the CRITERIA better? Yes.

Was the actualy JUDGING better? Fuck no.

There's all kinds of evidence of fight fixing, and even in cases where the fight wasn't fixed, the judges screwed up at least as often as they do now - probably more so.

I think the fight should be based on round-by-round scoring, but I also think 10-8 rounds need to be given out more frequently. Judges who have a high percent of "dissenting" scores (i.e. 30-27, 30-27, 27-30) should be forced to either defend their scores with reasoning or otherwise simply removed from judging. Allowing people who honestly have no idea what they're doing to continue judging fights hurts the fighters and it hurts the sport as a whole. Maybe they're corrupt, maybe they're incompetent, or maybe both.

Have 9 judges, sitting in isolation, watching the fight from a closed-circuit TV. No commentary. Force them to record their scores after each round. Scores cannot be changed once entered. Take 3 judges at random and use their scores to determine the fight.

I hate that something like that needs to be implemented, but I think it's the only way to get better judging.

7. Lyoto Jackson

Lyoto Jackson Purple Belt

There was a bigger talent discrepancy back then. Fights in the UFC are a lot closer now.

8. Threetrees

Threetrees The King of Wit and Reason

The criteria lent itself better to MMA, though I don't think the system works for the way the rounds are scheduled

As for the judging? Fuck no. PRIDE was full of robberies.

9. Claude

Claude Red Belt

10. TheScorpionDude

TheScorpionDude Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>

Everyone else.

11. tithas

tithas Brown Belt

No. All judging is subjective the only way to make it better is to fight to a finish or death.

12. JoeganMoldberg

JoeganMoldberg Orange Belt

FINALLY!! A fresh new topic....

BSquared and leto1776 like this.
  13. IcemanFan75

IcemanFan75 Purple Belt

Those are some good ideas there. I agree about judges being encouraged to give out 10-8 rounds more often, and I'd also like them to be encouraged to score a round a draw if there is no clear winner. Think about how often a round ends and you are unsure who should win it because it was extremely even. Instead of just picking a winner and scoring it 10-9, they should score it a draw. It'll never be perfect, but there are some definite improvements that could be made.

saturnvii7 likes this.
  14. BSquared

BSquared Blue Belt

Oh look... this thread, again.

15. saturnvii7

saturnvii7 White Belt

Criteria were good (better IMO) but the judging was spottier at that time in general-- UFC and Pride. They've gotten consistent-- albeit with a heavy wrestling bias in modern UFC.

I do think their rules were better for a combat sport-- the 10 minute opening round gave more opportunities for grappling, harder on fighters making big weight cuts, tougher cardio test, etc. The knees to a grounded opponent prevented wrestlers from spamming takedowns. That Ryan Hall win over Maynard really showed how much that rule has become little more than a loophole.

HHJ likes this.
  16. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

Japanese judging is way shadier,but their CRITERIA was cooler in theory.Fight wasnt scored by rounds,and effort to finish the fight much more valuable.Nothing is going to prevent a bad fight from being a bad fight every time but i liked that you could be penalized for LNP. But sometimes guys were given yellow cards for nothing,and that actually takes money out of your pocket,which sucks. Randleman was stalling quinton out in the clinch when they fought and they gave them BOTH yellow cards?? REALLY?? lol