anyone else find the matchmaking weird for Japan?

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
On the one hand we have 134 where nearly every Brazilian won. Afterwards we all said "well yeah they wanted to make a good impression in Brazil so of course they did that." I suppose that idea makes some business sense, despite tending to be somewhat discounting of what the individual winners accomplished.

But the Japan matchmaking seems to be the opposite. If the "well yeah they want to open a new market, of course they'd do that" logic applied why is the Japan card AGAIN shaping up to be similar to the last card? Just looking at the comparisons we saw Anderson Silva fighting Okami and Bonnar and Nog fighting a 2-fight-losing-streak Herman on the one hand... and on the other hand we have Akiyama going against Shields (right after Akiyama's 3 fight losing streak) and now Okami against Lombard and Wand (adopted Japanese but still) against Stann. Lombard of course with great TDD and KO Power and Stann of course with great KO power and a good chin.

Is all this in my head? Or is the UFC treating Japan as their anti-Brazil where they bring people to Japan with non-favorable matchups against them? What could they possibly gain from having Japanese staples LOSE in front of their home audience?

Of course there are notable exceptions like Prado getting Davis in Brazil. We knew that wasn't favorable for Prado beforehand. Or Okami getting Boetsch in Japan. Most expected that would be a UD for Okami beforehand. BUT OUTLIER EXCEPTIONS ASIDE... I'd imagine you have to see the overall matchmaking pattern as night and day between the two...

So my question is: why the discrepancy? What makes Japan different?

TL;DR: Why would Zuffa matchmake so that Brazilian fighters often get favorable matchups in Brazil yet Japanese staples often get nightmare matchups in Japan?

Overall, Japanese fighters do not and have not done very well in the UFC. Who else would you suggest?

sexyama should have beaten shields rather easily, but he refused to do anything. okami also had a chance to get a win over boetsch but he blew it.

The Japanese are not xenophobic nationalists like Brazilians when it comes to sports.

In Pride and Dream, they constantly matched up Japanese guys with either much bigger or much better foreigners and watched them lose. The Japanese respects fighters no matter where they're from.

Brian Stann is Japanese.

Fun fact.

Although the fact that he was born on a US military base probably makes it not exactly true.

Anyways, the Japan card has one hell of a lineup. Hard to believe it's actually a Fuel card.

The Japanese are not xenophobic nationalists like Brazilians when it comes to sports.

In Pride and Dream, they constantly matched up Japanese guys with either much bigger or much better foreigners and watched them lose. The Japanese respects fighters no matter where they're from.

i like the fact that you qualified that statement. in a different context it wouldn't be true.

Nailed it. You don't have to worry about Japanese fans potentially rioting just because the guys from their country lost. They are decent fans who appreciate the fighters and not just the nationalities.

Overall, Japanese fighters do not and have not done very well in the UFC. Who else would you suggest?
For Okami? Any guy that doesn't have impenetrable TDD.
For Wand? A non-striker. Or a striker without huge KO power.

Hell you could have given Okami Stann and Wand any number of strikers without KO power or any number of grapplers. Isn't hard really, but you get the point. Bisping outpoints Stann in a number 1 contender match (lol) and then Stann is fighting Wand who people have been calling to retire? Meanwhile Okami seemingly looks like he is building up the contendership of Lombard... by losing in front of a home audience? I just don't get it. The fights themselves are weird necessarily, just the discrepancy between WHERE they are taking place when looking at Brazil shows in general.

i like the fact that you qualified that statement. in a different context it wouldn't be true.

Indeed. The Japanese as people are some of the most racist and xenophobic on the planet, but when it comes to sports they are some of the best and most respectful out there, both the fans and players alike. Just recently, a football match was supposed to be canceled because the pitch was full of water and it was unplayable but the players demanded that they play as a sign of respect to all the fans who showed up on the stadium. Of course, the match was awful as the ball couldn't bounce and no one could kick it very far away, but the fans still clapped and cheered for 90 minutes.

Nailed it. You don't have to worry about Japanese fans potentially rioting just because the guys from their country lost. They are decent fans.

And you won't hear them boo for no reason and chant "You will die!" to all foreigners.

Great answer actually, can't believe I overlooked this. Thanks. Also I agree with the other guy that highlighted that you added the "sports" part hah.

Anyways, the Japan card has one hell of a lineup. Hard to believe it's actually a Fuel card.
Yeah quality card for sure! I wasn't complaining about the card, just wondering aloud about the matchmaking difference.

I was going to say, I don't think Japan is the exception, Brazil is. Sure there's cards in other countries that sometimes favor the home team, but the shit that goes down in Brazil is crazy. And it's probably a result of the UFC knowing who they're dealing with there.

Yeah quality card for sure! I wasn't complaining about the card, just wondering aloud about the matchmaking difference.

I hear you brother, I didn't mean that as a counter to the point you were making. You're right about some of these being questionable matchups for the Japanese fighters fighting in their home country.

Back