Anyone else felt like Silva's corner should have thrown in the towel at some point?

priderulez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Guy was taking tons of damage completely unnecessarily. I mean it was a great first round, awesome comeback for Brown etc but Long before Dean called it a fight the outcome seemed obvious. Silva looked out on his feet for a good portion of the 2nd and the 3rd. Dafaq?

Dont remember watching more severe beating since the one Glover put on Maldonado. I mean its a hurting game as Penn put it but enough is enough.

He was done at the end of round 2, his corner was trying to fire him up but he was obviously out of the fight

(they gave him like zero advice other than "stop getting the shit kicked out of you" or something to that effect).

EDIT: If your fighter is taken out on a stretcher after a fight that one sided, you probably should have thrown in the towel.

Wouldnt of mattered, he's already damaged goods at that point, no point in babying him

At least by letting him get destroyed he has a small chance of rebuilding which he wouldnt have if u baby him

Some fighters choke in title fights (Ken Flo)
Some fighters choke in #1 contender fights (Bisping)
Erick Silva is one of those fighters who chokes against top fighters.
He is decent but highly overrated.

Still confused on how he was a 2/1 favorite.

Wouldnt of mattered, he's already damaged goods at that point, no point in babying him

At least by letting him get destroyed he has a small chance of rebuilding which he wouldnt have if u baby him

This makes no sense... how does taking a violent beating you have zero chance of coming back from help you in the long run.

If anything, I think more injuries and a longer recovery would make that kind of loss HARDER to come back from.

Better to cut your losses, get back into the gym ASAP, work on cardio, keeping a cool head when you hurt an opponent, and working on skills striking/defense to get better. The kind of beating he took can ruin a fighter mentally forever.

It's not that they choke, it's the fact that they are fighting someone better than they are.

The only reason I'll say no is because even on zombie mode he could still hurt Brown every time he hit the body. He just didn't focus on it.
His zombie sub defense is also very good.

Last edited:

Well I do not think it was a matter of babying him, especially after the 2nd. He broke mentally long before his body and broke physically. It was clear he broke at the moment he faced adversity, i.e. after he couldnt finish Brown in the first. He tryed to expolit that hurt body in the very beginning of the second, but that was about it. By the end of the round it was obvious that he was getting beaten into a pulp and even though I agree it was natural that they tried to lift his spirits before the third, so he can make a final push for a comeback, it was obvious he wasnt there way before the fight was stopped and at least those final couple minutes of beating he received could have been spared imho.

The only reason I'll say no is because evento on zombie mode he could still hurt Brown every time he hit the body. He just didn't focus on it.
His zombie sub defense is also very good.

We have seen incredible comebacks after hard beatings like in Hendo vs Shogun, the first one especially, but in those fights both of the fighters remain somewhat offensively active even when hurt badly. In this fight Silva was doing nothing but standing against the fence, taking elbows, knees and punches without offering anything in return except for episodic shots here and there which lacked power, accuracy, speed and determination.

In other words, yes, he clearly was in a zombie mode, but not the zombie mode that makes you look like you have anything left as far as determination to win goes

He's super explosive, fast and accurate in his striking attacks. Plus he has got that one punch KO power. The result was he almost finished Brown with that body shot.

As far as potential goes I still put him ahead of Brown. A huge talent is being wasted with that kid. Stupid camp, weak mentally? I dunno what it is, but he clearly needs to change up. 170 is hell of a division right now and if he wants to be relevant in it, he'd need a lot more than that potential.

in hind sight of course but during the event I was waiting for Silva to fight back which he did a couple of times just brown is relentless

Brown broke him mentally and emotionally. Dude didn't want to be in that cage.

unless i am mistaken, towel throwing is not allowed in the ufc any more. only the referee can stop a fight and only fighter can tap.

Absolutely, should have thrown the towel in between the second and third rounds. This would have most likely been the case in a boxing match, but MMA has a weird culture when it comes to that.

hmm, i saw the rule when i read them a couple years ago, this part was the same

"13. Stopping Contest Return to Top

The referee is the sole arbiter of a contest and is the only individual authorized to stop a contest."

but there was another part that specifically said corner stoppages were not allowed, and not allowed to throw things into the ring. to be sure i was not hallucinating this memory i searched and found another sherdog post from 2013 that says the rule was removed sometime.

throwing in the towel signals to ref to stop the fight, from the fighters corner... but perhaps the ref should have already stopped it at this point. its a good rule to have but i could see things getting confused, towel goes flyying into the cage during a fight, who has thrown it, probably the fighters corner but what if not, fight stopped , etc etc

didnt think about it, but yes, they should have.

Both Silva and Monty's corner really needed to understand the longterm affect of a unnecessary beating.

unless i am mistaken, towel throwing is not allowed in the ufc any more. only the referee can stop a fight and only fighter can tap.
and what do you think happens if a corner throws the towel in anyways?

Back