1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Anyone else feel stuck?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Smashandgrab, Aug 12, 2015.

1. SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

TS, I just turned 33, you made more than I did, you live by yourself and you don't have the insane amount of student loan debt that I have. Think $1100/credit hour.

But, I refuse to get stuck like this. By years end I should have my CPPS and CAPM certifications. I will then go on to pursue my MA. During that time I will find other well know relatively cheap certifications to achieve.

It's how much you're willing to put in and sacrifice to get out of that rut than anything else.

2. Smashandgrab Red Belt

You don't feel overwhelmed by knowing you owe more money than you're worth? (On paper)

3. Chaos Spawn Kuiper belt

no man. pathetic at 35 is a dead end job, child support and/or alimony, high debt, etc.

you've missed a lot of the more common and acute pitfalls by consistently making good choices. give yourself some credit.

at least you aren't having a mid-life.

4. Smashandgrab Red Belt

Thanks, man. I try. I still feel like a bit of a failure.

5. Brampton_Boy Douchey Mc Douche

I understand how you feel - although my circumstances for why I feel stuck might be a bit different.

The best opportunities for me are not in Canada, but I feel obliged to stay local because my family is here (and my parents are getting older). Everybody is actually encouraging me to go, but my biggest fear is getting the "Come home" phone call, while I'm half way across the world.

Don't get me wrong, I am doing pretty well now - but it seems like the next "leg up" in my life will necessitate that I seek opportunities abroad.

6. highkicknomore Red Belt

Sounds like you need to have more fun than just studying and working bro.

Train in UFC, get rejected by girls, hook up with girls, talk smack. Sounds like you're too focused on the future (which is good but it can be bad too). Balance is key but hard to maintain.

7. Smashandgrab Red Belt

Sorry, bud. I know, from reading your posts, you've put in a ton of work to get to where you are. Hopefully, something in your situation changes so you can pursue your interests.

8. NRFC Brown Belt

"One way to beat the man... is to become the man".

I not only work in the private sector with the regular schmucks with an IT desk job ... But I also have my own business. I have no debt (cars are paid off, no credit cards) except for the house. Working to pay that next.

Find a way that you can make money for you because that's what they are doing. Its not easy... but That's the path to freedom.

9. NRFC Brown Belt

But you are not.

10. Bunkai White Belt

You've mastered being an enslaved human. now move on to something else.

crash with a buddy for the remainder of the year, save your what ever money you can and start a new life.

$10K in vietnam would last you 3 years if you just trained a martial art full time.

this world is so vast, it's a sin for you to spend it doing the same thing day in and day out sacrificing your life to keep the machine going.

break free.

Live.

just effing do it man.

no matter what your programmed brain tells you, there is NO reason not to.

you can.

Do it.

let this post be the seed that changes your life.

it's YOUR life.. isnt it?

live dude.

Go.

11. Swoliosis Red Belt

I've felt the same way and came to realize I don't have any hobbies anymore. I'm thinking of going into boxing when I stop working overtime and return to school on Monday. Do you have any hobbies you particularly enjoy?

Its become even worse because I've developed somewhat of a drinking habit. Its basically the only hobby I have and its led to quite a few problems with family and friends.

As far as my career I already finished my undergrad and currently working making decent $$$ in overtime money and finishing nursing school this year so at least I have that going for me.

12. Alex88 Brown Belt

70k a year ? Fuck with my lifestyle I'd be rich if I was making that money lol. In what province are you ?

13. WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

I'd say make plans on moving. 35 years old and ticking... you don't have a lot of options.

14. Limo Character Do Whutcha Want To

Smash, you're a good guy. Could these tepid feelings be a result of boredom? Do you have outlets for that?

There are people who can't feel nothin'. Numb. They don't even have enough to resent the situation they're in. It's just resignation all the way down, and I don't blame them: shit's easy to succumb to. Some people can harness ill feelings, use them like a fire under the ass, motivation. Some people can acknowledge that feelings are temporary, and ought be examined. You're a good guy, Smash. This mood will pass, but whether it does or it doesn't: how you feel is separate from what you do.

Do the things that will improve your life, the happiness will follow.

15. fluffball Brown Belt

I live in one of the most expensive areas of the entire country, and I could do better than a 1 bedroom condo on 70k a year. You must live in San Francisco? You should be able to buy a house in almost every major city in the US and then you aren't throwing your money away on rent. Your mortgage will wind up being about the same it sounds like you're paying in rent, it might even be less.

Get out your excel and your google and do the math for a mortgage in the type of house you want. Somehow you're hemorrhaging money that you shouldn't be.

Also get yourself some stocks to supplement your income. It wouldn't hurt to just go talk to a financial adviser to get you started, and it can be a fun thing to play around with.

And never use a credit card. Maybe once every six months to keep your credit score on record.

Edit: Just saw you live in Canada. Well whatever, I would guess you can better afford a house than the rent. Maybe everything I wrote doesn't apply to Canada, I dunno.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  16. SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

Kind of odd way to analyze that. But no, it doesn't. I'll be making much more than I owe in the next few years. It all depends on how hard you can hustle.

17. 3825 968 moonwalking

Nope, i just got a great job in a great city. Things are definitely looking up for this fella

18. JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

We need a Greyberry Sub-forum

This place is starting to resemble a breeding ground for Prozac lovers.

19. Smashandgrab Red Belt

I used to box but gave it up once I started school. I found I couldn't maintain full-time student status, do well, and box. I'm trying to get my degree done as fast as possible because I don't want to be a 40 year old student. haha.

Congrats on completing the undergrad, that's awesome.

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Think the average house here is around $450,000.

Thanks, bud. Always enjoy reading your posts. I'm definitely bored. I think because I know I'm going to be another two years makes it that much worse. I'm enjoying school, doing well (3.92 GPA), but I have really nothing to look forward to day-to-day.

I should add that I make 70K on paper. Because I work for the government, I pay into a pension (which is good but takes a big chunk of my pay), union dues, benefits, etc. My take home pay is roughly $3200 a month.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys.

20. Irenaeus Black Belt

70k Canadian, or USD?