Anyone else feel stuck?

Smashandgrab

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Lately I really feel like I'm in a rut. I'm 35, work full-time but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I make ok money (made 70K last year) but cost of living is high where I am so I rent a 1-bedroom condo. Nearly two years ago I started working on completing a degree (I made a thread about it) and I'm doing well but have another 2 years to finish. It seems like I just have enough money to pay the bills every month and it's depressing. I rarely go out and have been single for a few years. I've been considering finding a place with a roommate to lower costs but I feel kind of pathetic being 35 and needing a roommate.

Anyone else on the 'dog feeling stuck or am I just a sad sack?

sounds like you are ready to impregnate someone. go for it!

Move somewhere else where cost of living isn't as much. It's not like you're tied down with a family.

Lately I really feel like I'm in a rut. I'm 35, work full-time but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I make ok money (made 70K last year) but cost of living is high where I am so I rent a 1-bedroom condo. Nearly two years ago I started working on completing a degree (I made a thread about it) and I'm doing well but have another 2 years to finish. It seems like I just have enough money to pay the bills every month and it's depressing. I rarely go out and have been single for a few years. I've been considering finding a place with a roommate to lower costs but I feel kind of pathetic being 35 and needing a roommate.

Anyone else on the 'dog feeling stuck or am I just a sad sack?

I think you should consider yourself fortunate. A lot of people have to take more drastic steps to survive.

What do you think would make you happier? More money? If so, do you run a budget?

Where does most of your money of your money go each month?

I understand the feeling, like you are in a constant rut and are never going forward, just spinning your wheels.

I wish I had answers for you, I really do, because that would mean I knew how to escape the rut as well.

Why don't you go out and get you some ladies to keep yourself occupied while you get through school? From your avatar, you look like you're in shape and kind of remind me of Val Kilmer. Go smash

cost of living seems to suck. If you make $70k where i live your considered to be basically an upper class individual. If you make over 100k as a couple, you can basically get a 4000+ sq ft house in a nice neighborhood

Which degree are you getting? If it's a worthwhile one, then I suppose you should see light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't you have anything else going on in your life other than work?

I think you should consider yourself fortunate. A lot of people have to take more drastic steps to survive.

What do you think would make you happier? More money? If so, do you run a budget?

Where does most of your money of your money go each month?

I know that there are people who are in much worse circumstances and I'm not ungrateful for all the good fortune I've had but....I still feel stuck.

I'd not really a money guy but I would like to have a bit of wiggle room so that if my car breaks down or I want to go away on a weekend trip it isn't going to cripple me.

I don't run a strict budget, I probably should. I think the biggest factor is cost of living. My rent and utilities make up 50% of my income. I eat pretty well so I may be able to trim that a bit. I've been hesitant to do that because I have two intestinal diseases and I've found the easiest way for me to stay in good health is to eat well.

I understand the feeling, like you are in a constant rut and are never going forward, just spinning your wheels.

I wish I had answers for you, I really do, because that would mean I knew how to escape the rut as well.

Sorry to hear you are also struggling, bud.

Which degree are you getting? If it's a worthwhile one, then I suppose you should see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm completing a degree in criminal justice. I currently work in a segment of enforcement where there is little room for advancement. Getting a degree should open some doors and allow for at least a 10k per year pay bump.

Don't you have anything else going on in your life other than work?

Nothing, really. And maybe that's why I feel the way I feel. I go to work, come home and do homework. On my days off, I go to the gym first thing and then hit the books. Occasionally I'll watch a movie on Netflix or whatever, but I do little else. every four months my brother and I take in some local boxing for a night out.

Welcome to the party, pal.

tumblr_inline_ncbwzyL41B1rakrro.jpg

I'm in Canada, and cost of living is pretty high everywhere that I could potentially move.

Yea, ok, you live in Canada. That explains it as well as this sentence:

"In Canada prices have long tended to be higher. This is partly because of structural issues in Canada such as low population density and harsher weather and partly due to Canada's tax system."

Cold ass weather, its expensive everywhere you live, massive immigration, etc. I'd be feeling stuck too... Time to move!!!

serious about the family thing. you've settled down without any of the perks. it's time to get over you, and focus on the next generation. find a nice girl and have some kids...or go see a shrink.

Yea, ok, you live in Canada. That explains it as well as this sentence:

"In Canada prices have long tended to be higher. This is partly because of structural issues in Canada such as low population density and harsher weather and partly due to Canada's tax system."

Cold ass weather, its expensive everywhere you live, massive immigration, etc. I'd be feeling stuck too... Time to move!!!

Truth.

It weird, in the city where I live there are a ton of people driving luxury cars, etc. and i'm thinking WTF....are there that many people out there making good money. I drive a shitty older mazda.

Clearly, somebody is making it or carrying a lot of debt.

Back