Anyone else feel like society is becoming more like the movies?

mcveteran81

Veteran
Banned
Reaction score
Our society is coming close to a minority report and surrogate level of society in the near(ish) future?

Both are excellent movies imo (regardless of the actors, the premise of the stories in those movies is what makes them compelling to me)

It feels like social media is aspiring to that surrogate level of living life through the use of media as a form of a personal avatar.

NCIS, necs, dmv, social security, law enforcement criminal profile systems & records, law enforcement automatic car plate readers, federal government tracking & software systems, smart phones, gps, palantir (a relatively new software system that combines all of the above information for purposes of tracking terrorist and criminals used majority by the feds, but also being applied to local law enforcement agencies) to me seem like huge civil right violations.

I don't know maybe I'm becoming too paranoid, but too much technology advancement isn't a good thing and it feels like it's happening more rapidly by the day.

i've read shit loads of sci fi in my life, and i remarked to a friend the other day that this election has a real distopian sci fi feel to it, probably because how technology has taken center stage between social media, the hacks and the undermining of our media

I can see society heading toward "Person of interest" one of these days

poi_thm_16.9_1280x720_0.jpg

Mass surveillence + computer algos are already in place just need to beef them up with tactics like flying "stingrays" over protestor crowds.

Spy plane routes:

spy-planes-over-new-york.jpg

Each weekday, dozens of U.S. government aircraft take to the skies and slowly circle over American cities. Piloted by agents of the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the planes are fitted with high-resolution video cameras, often working with “augmented reality” software that can superimpose onto the video images everything from street and business names to the owners of individual homes. At least a few planes have carried devices that can track the cell phones of people below. Most of the aircraft are small, flying a mile or so above ground, and many use exhaust mufflers to mute their engines — making them hard to detect by the people they’re spying on.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/spies-in-the-skies?utm_term=.tf25J7ZXr#.di2QrxNwE

I can see society heading toward "Person of interest" one of these days

poi_thm_16.9_1280x720_0.jpg

Mass surveillence + computer algos are already in place just need to beef them up with tactics like flying "stingrays" over protestor crowds.

Spy plane routes:

spy-planes-over-new-york.jpg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/spies-in-the-skies?utm_term=.tf25J7ZXr#.di2QrxNwE

Dude you think that's nuts check this out. FACEBOOK of all companies is going to make that possible with this.

See link = http://www.technewsworld.com/story/...Facebooks-Internet-Ambitions-Aloft-83735.html.

You are no longer alone anywhere in the world.

*EDIT* for those of you too lazy to read the link, basically a new light weight hi altitude UAV that gets its energy source from solar panels is capable of staying up for prolonged periods (possibly months at a time) to provide remote locations with internet access (for specific purposes of supplying you with face book all over the world)

Our society is coming close to a minority report and surrogate level of society in the near(ish) future?

Both are excellent movies imo (regardless of the actors, the premise of the stories in those movies is what makes them compelling to me)

It feels like social media is aspiring to that surrogate level of living life through the use of media as a form of a personal avatar.

NCIS, necs, dmv, social security, law enforcement criminal profile systems & records, law enforcement automatic car plate readers, federal government tracking & software systems, smart phones, gps, palantir (a relatively new software system that combines all of the above information for purposes of tracking terrorist and criminals used majority by the feds, but also being applied to local law enforcement agencies) to me seem like huge civil right violations.

I don't know maybe I'm becoming too paranoid, but too much technology advancement isn't a good thing and it feels like it's happening more rapidly by the day.

We're already using computer algorithms to predict future crimes and sentencing criminals accordingly... even though the data shows that, yes, even AI is racist when programmed by humans.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/03/algorithm-racist-human-employers-work
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/03/algorithm-racist-human-employers-work
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/19/5...this-computer-predicts-crime-but-is-it-racist

Dude you think that's nuts check this out. FACEBOOK of all companies is going to make that possible with this.

See link = http://www.technewsworld.com/story/...Facebooks-Internet-Ambitions-Aloft-83735.html.

You are no longer alone anywhere in the world.

*EDIT* for those of you too lazy to read the link, basically a new light weight hi altitude UAV that gets its energy source from solar panels is capable of staying up for prolonged periods (possibly months at a time) to provide remote locations with internet access (for specific purposes of supplying you with face book all over the world)
That is really phenominal tech and should be encouraged. Satellites on a plane basically.

Communication is great, lets just hope it doesnt come at the expense of our privacy.

That is really phenominal tech and should be encouraged. Satellites on a plane basically.

Communication is great, lets just hope it doesnt come at the expense of our privacy.

That's what worries me, I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but coming from a military background, this stuff scares the shit out of me in regards to potential military use.

That's what worries me, I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but coming from a military background, this stuff scares the shit out of me in regards to potential military use.
2nd amendment should be enough to keep the honest people honest, and as cost of the tech drops over time non invasive solutions should come about.

2nd amendment should be enough to keep the honest people honest, and as cost of the tech drops over time non invasive solutions should come about.

I don't know man. Hand guns aren't going to stop hard to detect UAV(s) from dropping bombs. If it were so, the Arab countries would be downing U.S drones all the time.

Pretty much.

All Trump supporters also jack off to Deepak Chopra.

movies are made to imitate life so......................................

movies are made to imitate life so......................................

Correct but most do so, in a past or present sense. The two from my OP is future based, which seemingly were catching up to. That's the eeriness of all this, imo.

Back