Anyone else feel Jones has poor footwork?

Deutsche**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jones never stays light on his feet and moves around. He stays completely flat footed and plods forward and uses his long arms to come in at crazy angles or throws flying/spinning stuff.

I never really noticed this until last night. I think gus great footwork is what highlighted jones lack of it for me.

Dont get me wrong jones is effective. I just think hes very hittable when he doesnt have a sizeable reach advantage to stay outside.

Having great footwork is one of the rarest skills in MMA, Jones has ok footwork just not great like Gustafsson.

Yes, he plodded forward flat-footed all night long. Plus he lacks head movement and necessary defensive striking skills. Until last night he's compensated with his size advantage and wrestling - both of which Gus negated last night.

dude he just broke his big toe his previous fight. You've never heard anyone say anything bad about his footwork before this fight. He's not the same fighter, atm because of the toe injury.

Jones has bested the best strikers at 205 at striking his footwork is obviously not "poor"

If he really fucked up his foot early on, that would explain it.. He certainly looked slower than usual.

Man, he just fought the guy with the best footwork in the division. Look at Glover's plodding and he's been boxing for years.

If he had Frankie Edgar footwork and a.Silva striking, he'd be one of the best ever.

...and I don't particularly care for Bones.

no one wanted to admit it, but it turns out Jones physical advantages were compensating for some deficiencies

If he really fucked up his foot early on, that would explain it.. He certainly looked slower than usual.

I don't think the foot had anything to do with him looking "slower" he was fine doing flying knees and high kicks. The only time he started to limp was after the fight when the pain was probably setting in. Jones looked like he usually looks he just isn't use to getting punched in the face even when he has his hand sticking out. As for the footwork Jones footwork is alright nothing to brag about but Gus footwork looked great.

no one wanted to admit it, but it turns out Jones physical advantages were compensating for some deficiencies

no one wants to admit it, but this was a fight coming off of a serious injury that affected his performance in this fight.

Yes, he plodded forward flat-footed all night long. Plus he lacks head movement and necessary defensive striking skills. Until last night he's compensated with his size advantage and wrestling - both of which Gus negated last night.

I wonder if that slow march forward, combined with his reach (eye-pokey fingers extended) and attacks to the knee don't throw off his usual opponents. It seems like most of them get put on their heels pretty badly.

I don't think the foot had anything to do with him looking "slower" he was fine doing flying knees and high kicks. The only time he started to limp was after the fight when the pain was probably setting in. Jones looked like he usually looks he just isn't use to getting punched in the face even when he has his hand sticking out. As for the footwork Jones footwork is alright nothing to brag about but Gus footwork looked great.

how can having a bad foot not make someone somewhat slower?

I don't think Jones expected Gus to have such light feet with great footwork as well as the same reach/height as him. Usually Jones can get away with and dominate by just plodding forward with little footwork or head movement because of his huge reach advantage but Gus was the same size/reach and was quicker with his hands than Jones and had oustanding footwork/angles. The kicking game and elbows are what were helping Jones win the fight something that Gus should work on if they fight again.

Jones has decent footwork, it just is nowhere near Gus's, who happens to have some of the best in MMA. It's a wonder so many fighters neglect that aspect. Gus's footwork is what kept him in the fight, off the ground, and surviving and even thriving last night.

Jones has very "okay" footwork but I wouldn't call it bad. He has that very heavy footed style that a lot of the bigger kickboxers have. Last night Gus's excellent footwork from his boxing days just made Jones' footwork look worse by comparison.

LOL at people talking about his footwork in a fight AFTER he nearly tore his toe off and has an apparent foot issue. Idiots.

Back