Anyone else feel Jones has poor footwork?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Deutsche**, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Deutsche**

Deutsche** Blue Belt

Jones never stays light on his feet and moves around. He stays completely flat footed and plods forward and uses his long arms to come in at crazy angles or throws flying/spinning stuff.

I never really noticed this until last night. I think gus great footwork is what highlighted jones lack of it for me.

Dont get me wrong jones is effective. I just think hes very hittable when he doesnt have a sizeable reach advantage to stay outside.

2. Cygnus-X

Cygnus-X Red Belt

Having great footwork is one of the rarest skills in MMA, Jones has ok footwork just not great like Gustafsson.

3. Exemplar

Exemplar Fuligin Belt

Yes, he plodded forward flat-footed all night long. Plus he lacks head movement and necessary defensive striking skills. Until last night he's compensated with his size advantage and wrestling - both of which Gus negated last night.

4. marriedtojuana

marriedtojuana White Belt

dude he just broke his big toe his previous fight. You've never heard anyone say anything bad about his footwork before this fight. He's not the same fighter, atm because of the toe injury.

5. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

normally he performs better

6. thatone**

thatone** Banned Banned

Jones has bested the best strikers at 205 at striking his footwork is obviously not "poor"

7. JoseAldoKillaBe

JoseAldoKillaBe Black Belt

If he really fucked up his foot early on, that would explain it.. He certainly looked slower than usual.

8. Intermedius

Intermedius Purple Belt

Man, he just fought the guy with the best footwork in the division. Look at Glover's plodding and he's been boxing for years.

9. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

If he had Frankie Edgar footwork and a.Silva striking, he'd be one of the best ever.

...and I don't particularly care for Bones.

10. trane

trane Red Belt

no one wanted to admit it, but it turns out Jones physical advantages were compensating for some deficiencies

11. MMAFanX

MMAFanX Purple Belt

I don't think the foot had anything to do with him looking "slower" he was fine doing flying knees and high kicks. The only time he started to limp was after the fight when the pain was probably setting in. Jones looked like he usually looks he just isn't use to getting punched in the face even when he has his hand sticking out. As for the footwork Jones footwork is alright nothing to brag about but Gus footwork looked great.

12. marriedtojuana

no one wants to admit it, but this was a fight coming off of a serious injury that affected his performance in this fight.

13. soiltostone

soiltostone Blue Belt

I wonder if that slow march forward, combined with his reach (eye-pokey fingers extended) and attacks to the knee don't throw off his usual opponents. It seems like most of them get put on their heels pretty badly.

14. marriedtojuana

how can having a bad foot not make someone somewhat slower?

15. Black Mamba

Black Mamba Green Belt

I don't think Jones expected Gus to have such light feet with great footwork as well as the same reach/height as him. Usually Jones can get away with and dominate by just plodding forward with little footwork or head movement because of his huge reach advantage but Gus was the same size/reach and was quicker with his hands than Jones and had oustanding footwork/angles. The kicking game and elbows are what were helping Jones win the fight something that Gus should work on if they fight again.

16. jmk1502

jmk1502 Brown Belt

Jones has decent footwork, it just is nowhere near Gus's, who happens to have some of the best in MMA. It's a wonder so many fighters neglect that aspect. Gus's footwork is what kept him in the fight, off the ground, and surviving and even thriving last night.

17. LEXTHEANARKIST

LEXTHEANARKIST Purple Belt

Na gus just made it look that way with his superior footwork.

18. Loisaida

Loisaida Green Belt

Jones has very "okay" footwork but I wouldn't call it bad. He has that very heavy footed style that a lot of the bigger kickboxers have. Last night Gus's excellent footwork from his boxing days just made Jones' footwork look worse by comparison.

19. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Yup. Very noticeable last night.

20. marriedtojuana

LOL at people talking about his footwork in a fight AFTER he nearly tore his toe off and has an apparent foot issue. Idiots.