Anyone else doesnt mind doing monotonous drills over and over??

sourdiesel209

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I dunno why but I dont really mind practicing 1 specific thing like the 1-2, for example... For hours on end until it is perfect... This is how I learned to slip to the left and surprised my coach once but he claimed I got lucky lol

Anyways I kinda get stuck on certain punch till it feels right... Already feel a great left hook, uppercuts, jab and currently on the straight right...

I also tend to shadowbox all day, everywhere (but not on public of course lmao)... Any else relate or am I the only crazy motherfucker

Last edited:
I tend to do this with a new drill or piece of equipment. I will spend all day trying to nail it. For example when I learnt to skip/jump rope. For the first couple of days I was doing ALL day because I was so keen to get a good rhythm going.

As for shadowboxing I think a few people do this lol, whether I'm making a cup of tea or am on the way to another room in the house I often start randomly shadowboxing :)

It's boring as hell but once you fully understand the benefits of why you are doing it, boring doesn't even come into it.

Can't do it. Rather split up my training to different drills i could do in short burst to keep it varied and interesting. Probably side effects of having a short attention span.

I dunno why but I dont really mind practicing 1 specific thing like the 1-2, for example... For hours on end until it is perfect... This is how I learned to slip to the left and surprised my coach once but he claimed I got lucky lol

Anyways I kinda get stuck on certain punch till it feels right... Already feel a great left hook, uppercuts, jab and currently on the straight right...

I also tend to shadowbox all day, everywhere (but not on public of course lmao)... Any else relate or am I the only crazy motherfucker

Yeah, at first, but when you spend months doing the same thing like stances or a jab, meh, you get used to it.

Yeah, at first, but when you spend months doing the same thing like stances or a jab, meh, you get used to it.

yeah it becomes part of your routine... I just cant let it go when a movement doesnt feel right lol

Could never do that.
Can kick a bag for days tho.
My longest train was around 4 houres.
There was a pool a sweat under me.

Need to work more on the arms :(

I prefer to just spar and roll, and when I find a deficiency, I will go off somewhere and work on it by myself for just a little bit. I cannot do solo drills for too long. My mind starts to wander LOL.

I realize this is how it is for me in every sport. I play hockey, and I absolutely hate going through the motions while practicing by myself. I much rather play the game, than do just a little conditioning, or do a partner drill during stick and puck times.

I prefer to just spar and roll, and when I find a deficiency, I will go off somewhere and work on it by myself for just a little bit. I cannot do solo drills for too long. My mind starts to wander LOL.

I realize this is how it is for me in every sport. I play hockey, and I absolutely hate going through the motions while practicing by myself. I much rather play the game, than do just a little conditioning, or do a partner drill during stick and puck times.

Yeah in the perfect world I'd rather sparr than do monotonous drills lol But sometimes when you get a lil bit too much free time, I find myself doing this shit for like 30 minutes straight.. I got a heavy bag at home so I practice the technique there too

I tend to do this with a new drill or piece of equipment. I will spend all day trying to nail it. For example when I learnt to skip/jump rope. For the first couple of days I was doing ALL day because I was so keen to get a good rhythm going.

As for shadowboxing I think a few people do this lol, whether I'm making a cup of tea or am on the way to another room in the house I often start randomly shadowboxing :)

I remember my first time I went to the gym and the teacher said "grab a rope" I was like no problem. looked around and peoples ropes were on fire, I got about 3 rounds before catching. Took me about 2 or 3 weeks before I got good, I love rope now. Best way to loosen up and elevate your heart rate before a good work out.

As to the original question I dont mind I like drilling things till I own them.:icon_evil

I dont mind either. I do taekwondo too and the guys there always want to try new fancy spinning kicks. I prefer to do one thing till its perfect.

I'm going to work on my footwork, punches, kicks, and combinations until the day I hang up my gloves.

There is no 'good enough' and there sure as hell isn't 'perfect' for me

Yeah in the perfect world I'd rather sparr than do monotonous drills lol But sometimes when you get a lil bit too much free time, I find myself doing this shit for like 30 minutes straight.. I got a heavy bag at home so I practice the technique there too

My childhood was the perfect world. I used to just go grab a couple of kids who lived nearby, go to some backyard or open area just have a royal rumble (mostly wrestling mixed with some light smacking, and kicking eat other in the rear end).

Last edited:
With grappling I can drill something as minute as simply locking up a triangle after already in a "diamond guard" of sorts on a partner for days and never get tired of it. Striking, I get bored throwing 1-2 combos after about 3 combos and I wanna start adding in hooks and uppercuts and blah blah blah...all the stuff I don't need to worry about at that time.

I LOVE to drill my techniques. Like they say "Drillers are killers". I feel it allows me to build faster muscle memory!

I don't mind doing drills at all, because they help me be a better fighter. I enjoy spending a round working just one combination or technique, trying to really get the feel for it.

Back