Anyone else do GQ today??

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ZuZitsu**, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

If so, how did you do? Any video's??

I have videos that need to be uploaded. I took first in both Men's No-Gi Intermediate 170-179lbs, and Executive No-Gi Advanced 170-179lbs but I think I got lucky in the Intermediate division bc a guy who I felt was better than me lost in the semi's to a very bad call....so I probably should have taken Silver.

Question: Do I have to enter Advanced next time bc I won Intermediate? Bc I am going to the UFC expo and competing in the GQ and I really dont stand a chance in the advanced (just being honest) bc alot of big guns are going to compete in that tourney

So do I start doing the advanced and and most likely lose for a few years until I win or do I stay in the intermediate and be competitive?? I dont wanna sandbag but Im also start enough to realize that I stand no chance in the advanced division!

Thoughts?

2. Victa***

Victa*** iCare

You should do intermediate at the Fan Expo, if allowed. If you win there then def move up.

I may be hitting up the Fan Expo too, will be beginner though.

3. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

Congrats man!

If I were you, I'd do the advanced. Medals aside, I think it would give you an overall greater experience. It would be awesome to be "that guy' who fought "that black belt", but even more than that I think you'll realize that you'll improve at a greater rate.

Mainly because ppl @ advanced will give you different things to worry about than ppl @ intermediate. You might find that your entire game will be reduced and slowed down when dealing with advanced competitors, which works to your advantage. Every minute you're "still in the game" with an advanced competitor goes in your favor. And hey, heel hooks in the advanced narrow the gap =)

4. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

This guy has it right. You will progress faster fighting people who will own you, if you always fight guys at your level how do you expect to get better?

5. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

True...and I do like heel hooks! Thanks for the advice!