Anyone else Disappointed by the Promotion of 229?

Dana has already said no world tour. To be honest that is very lame for a fight of this magnitude. They could at least do a presser in Russia and London and then a pre-fight presser in New York and Vegas.

I have a feeling we might get one of those shitty phone call press conferences and a pre-presser in vegas and that's it.

They should do 4 of those Def Comedy Jam type pressers around the world like Floyd and Conor did. Dublin, Moscow, NYC, Liberia.

i love you fake oldschool fans

MMA has always been tied closely with pro wrestling

Lol at "fake".

I'm well aware of the sports history but feel free to search this site for a thread about how excited someone is for the lead up to a fight and can't wait to hear what they're going to say to eachother pre 2012 and I can guarantee you won't find much if anything.

Tickets sold out in 3 minutes. They dont need sell this fight

Lol at "fake".

I'm well aware of the sports history but feel free to search this site for a thread about how excited someone is for the lead up to a fight and can't wait to hear what they're going to say to eachother pre 2012 and I can guarantee you won't find much if anything.

ever heard of Chael Sonnen? The Nick Diaz fanbase?

ever heard of Chael Sonnen? The Nick Diaz fanbase?

Yeah, why do you think I said 2012 dude?

Sonnen started this trend of drama and talk being more important than the fight to many "fans".

Can't say as I recall anyone ever mentioning how excited they were to see a Diaz press conference prior to the Conor fight though since they generally aren't all that disrespectful too opponents until right before the fight with the exception of Nick and GSP and a little bit with Shamrock.

Things will really ramp up next month.

Its still too far away. If we get closer to the fight and nothing has changed then yes.

But at this point? There is no problem. Still a long ways away.

Yeah, why do you think I said 2012 dude?

Sonnen started this trend of drama and talk being more important than the fight to many "fans".

Can't say as I recall anyone ever mentioning how excited they were to see a Diaz press conference prior to the Conor fight though since they generally aren't all that disrespectful too opponents until right before the fight with the exception of Nick and GSP and a little bit with Shamrock.

dude, chael's first fight with anderson was in 2010. And he didn't start his shtick just with Anderson ,its just when he got big. Everybody wanted to see what was gonna happen when Nick got a press conference with GSP.

Once 228 is out of the way it'll be full steam ahead for 229. Not sure how they're going to promote 228 to the average viewer but they probably need to throw the kitchen sink at it for the next few weeks. Or who knows, maybe they'll just accept it's fate and start focusing on 229.

Regardless, things will get going for 229 pretty quickly. It won't take much to get the ball rolling.

To be fair they sold out the building in 3 mins. But yeah I get you. It would be nice to get some new material especially since Conor has been so reclusive. I think they'll go all in marketing next month.

dude, chael's first fight with anderson was in 2010. And he didn't start his shtick just with Anderson ,its just when he got big. Everybody wanted to see what was gonna happen when Nick got a press conference with GSP.

Oh you're right, my mistake, didn't think it had been that long.

Yeah he talked before the Anderson fight but nobody gave a shit.

I mentioned GSP Diaz so not really sure what your point is.

My challenge still stands though, the date just changes to 2010 instead of 12. Best of luck.

You might be able to find something involving Tito and Shamrock or possibly Chuck but even thats questionable.

Oh you're right, my mistake, didn't think it had been that long.

Yeah he talked before the Anderson fight but nobody gave a shit.

I mentioned GSP Diaz so not really sure what your point is.

My challenge still stands though, the date just changes to 2010 instead of 12. Best of luck.

You might be able to find something involving Tito and Shamrock or possibly Chuck but even thats questionable.

Look at the entirety of how PRIDE worked, or the oldschool walkouts with the stage for the UFC, or even the naming scheme for the old UFC events

Look at the entirety of how PRIDE worked, or the oldschool walkouts with the stage for the UFC, or even the naming scheme for the old UFC events

Yeah, but with the exception of the event names that was all fight night stuff.

I admit I enjoyed it and it brought a little something extra to the atmosphere of the night though but that's not what this discussion is about.

Edit: Remember the Chuck walkout with that horrible video by Mask in the background against Randy if I recall correctly?

That was hilarious but for all the wrong reasons, lol

They still have to promote 228. Once that's over with they'll start heavy with the promotion for 229. Even during 228 they will start promoting it.

They dont want to outshine Till and Woodley and lose ppv $ to people waiting on the 229 headliner. They arent going to not try to make 228 the focus until its done. After Woodly /Till fight, the promos will go nuts.

'Cause the fight promotes itself there is no need to spend the money. That money will be wasted cause there won't be a significant return on the investment.

I question the validity of this. If super casuals don’t even hear about the fight, they won’t buy it. And I know several who haven’t even heard of it yet. Even if they do hear about it, If they never learn who Khabib is or the back story, they might not be that interested. Opponents matter. Jones did like 800k vs DC but only 300k vs OSP.

Hilary messed up in the 2016 election and didn’t spend hardly any time in Michigan and Wisconsin because she thought she had those states locked and that it was a waste of time. And she ended up losing them both. Hopefully Dana don’t make that mistake. This will pull over a million buys for sure, but I think the UFC is overly confident if they think it will cruise to 2 million buys (which some are projecting) without any work.

Conor probably refused to do that much media and I wouldn’t blame him.

Back