Anyone currently doing a [Push|Pull|Legs] split?

Warmup sets still count as volume and contribute to fatigue.

Why is your heaviest set of the day an AMRAP? How do you progress?

You need more recovery time between squats and deadlifts and feel like you can’t train the main lifts more than 1x/week because your programming is terrible.

Because that's my last working set and it's my gauge for how I'll handle the next week's sets. As I said above, if I get more than 3 reps, I'll increase the weight the next week by a few lbs. If I don't manage to get more than that, then I'll stay where I'm at. For the last four months I've been back in the gym after a year off, I've gone up 225lbs feeling rough to 450lbs. I wouldn't say my programming is terrible if I'm getting consistent results.

I COULD do a higher frequency if I wanted. I choose not to. Not only does that free me up for other training I want to do, I'm adding decent weight every single week I lift. So why would I change anything? I've ran everything from 5x5s to Texas Method, to complicated powerlifting programs that my coach developed. This is giving me the best results. When this starts stalling, I will make appropriate changes.

I would be interested in seeing how you think I should warm up to 450 if not doing sets at increments of 50 lbs for low reps.

For the last four months I've been back in the gym after a year off, I've gone up 225lbs feeling rough to 450lbs. I wouldn't say my programming is terrible if I'm getting consistent results.

I COULD do a higher frequency if I wanted. I choose not to. Not only does that free me up for other training I want to do, I'm adding decent weight every single week I lift. So why would I change anything? I've ran everything from 5x5s to Texas Method, to complicated powerlifting programs that my coach developed. This is giving me the best results. When this starts stalling, I will make appropriate changes.

I would be interested in seeing how you think I should warm up to 450 if not doing sets at increments of 50 lbs for low reps.
That's not making gains, that's just getting back to where you were before.

That's not making gains, that's just getting back to where you were before.

That's 150lbs over my previous max in squat alone from over a year ago. That's when I was running a 5x5 and all sorts of other programs. I've well surpassed any of my previous maxes running my own program.

That's 150lbs over my previous max in squat alone from over a year ago. That's when I was running a 5x5 and all sorts of other programs. I've well surpassed any of my previous maxes running my own program.
You're previous squat max was 300? At 260?

You're previous squat max was 300? At 260?

About 320 was my previous max at 245lbs. Took a year off and started back in October at 250lbs. Gained 10 lbs and several hundred to my all time total in about 4 months doing my own programming.

About 320 was my previous max at 245lbs. Took a year off and started back in October at 250lbs. Gained 10 lbs and several hundred to my all time total in about 4 months doing my own programming.
Sounds like you're a beginner lifter.

I bet Tyson Fury could do way more than that
<Moves>

I'm a beginner with a 1700lbs total. Welcome to weighing over 240lbs.

By any strength calculator I've ever seen you would be well into intermediate with those numbers, as are my numbers and you've got several hundred over my total. If you aren't making linear gains each workout several times a week then you're not a beginner either.

By any strength calculator I've ever seen you would be well into intermediate with those numbers, as are my numbers and you've got several hundred over my total. If you aren't making linear gains each workout several times a week then you're not a beginner either.
I feel like a technical beginner. I'm only now learning how to perform the lifts correctly.

I feel like a technical beginner. I'm only now learning how to perform the lifts correctly.

Well you aren't a beginner based on any strength standards I've ever seen, and neither am I. If you were a beginner and you're training multiple times a week, then you should be increasing your weight at the same reps each workout going from that 1700 total to something like a 1720 total by the next. If you're not capable of doing that then calling yourself a beginner is completely incorrect. Even guys who would be world class experts still learn stuff about technique on a regular basis.

That said, this talk about how important multiple times a week frequency is, is quite bullshit. Guys like Eddie Hall and Brian Shaw are hitting muscle groups once a week. Eddie's gone on record saying that a heavy training session should take about 10 days to properly recover from and that's what he thinks everyone should be doing. He hits a muscle group once a week, alternating between a speed and heavy week. He does do 4 day splits because he has a shoulder day. That's what the world's strongest men are running as a split. You can even follow their channels and watch them, which I quite often do. So that's what someone stronger than all of us says if being stronger is the only qualifier you care about.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm saying telling me how my program is running being wrong, which is essentially a 3 day 531 with slight changes to accessory work is the height of absurdity. Everyone has different bodies and different needs. I'm not a powerlifter. I have other needs and I do what works for me.

Last edited:
Well you aren't a beginner based on any strength standards I've ever seen, and neither am I. If you were a beginner and you're training multiple times a week, then you should be increasing your weight at the same reps each workout going from that 1700 total to something like a 1720 total by the next. If you're not capable of doing that then calling yourself a beginner is completely incorrect. Even guys who would be world class experts still learn stuff about technique on a regular basis.

That said, this talk about how important multiple times a week frequency is, is quite bullshit. Guys like Eddie Hall and Brian Shaw are hitting muscle groups once a week. Eddie's gone on record saying that a heavy training session should take about 10 days to properly recover from and that's what he thinks everyone should be doing. He hits a muscle group once a week, alternating between a speed and heavy week. He does do 4 day splits because he has a shoulder day. That's what the world's strongest men are running as a split. You can even follow their channels and watch them, which I quite often do. So that's what someone stronger than all of us says if being stronger is the only qualifier you care about.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm saying telling me how my program is running being wrong, which is essentially a 3 day 531 with slight changes to accessory work is the height of absurdity. Everyone has different bodies and different needs. I'm not a powerlifter. I have other needs and I do what works for me.
Also someone on oodles of anabolics. I didn't dispute your programming, I ran 5 3 1 with great success and switched to conjugate which has an upper and lower max and speed day each week.

Also someone on oodles of anabolics. I didn't dispute your programming, I ran 5 3 1 with great success and switched to conjugate which has an upper and lower max and speed day each week.

Who says I'm not also on oodles of anabolics?

<{ByeHomer}>

Kidding, I'm not. I would be way stronger if I was. I don't think my budget can afford me to grow any larger as is. Luckily I'm 6'4, so that 260lbs is pretty well spread over my frame. If anything though, I would think anabolics would allow him a faster recovery time and require a higher frequency to maximize gains. As a natural lifter also doing other things, I like to take things a little slower. I'm definitely not knocking a higher frequency program if you have time. I only have time for three sessions a week. I don't see how I could manage a higher frequency like that and have time for accessory work. It takes me nearly an 45 minutes to get warmed up and through a few working sets on one main lift. I have two hours of time in the gym maximum.

<{ByeHomer}>

Kidding, I'm not. I would be way stronger if I was. I don't think my budget can afford me to grow any larger as is. Luckily I'm 6'4, so that 260lbs is pretty well spread over my frame. If anything though, I would think anabolics would allow him a faster recovery time and require a higher frequency to maximize gains. As a natural lifter also doing other things, I like to take things a little slower. I'm definitely not knocking a higher frequency program if you have time. I only have time for three sessions a week. I don't see how I could manage a higher frequency like that and have time for accessory work. It takes me nearly an 45 minutes to get warmed up and through a few working sets on one main lift. I have two hours of time in the gym maximum.
My workouts take an hour. For instance I did a below parallel box squat with 615lbs today. Did 1 rep with the bar, 135, 225, 315, 405, 495, 565 and then threw the quarters on for 615lbs. Then went straight into 315lbs good mornings for 5 sets of 10. My logic being my body is already warm from squatting, I'm not ramping up the good mornings. Then I usually superset or rest pause the accessory work and get out of dodge. I'm also 5'11 and fat so I have physics working for me. Tho when people comment on my physique they compare me more to Brock Lesnar than Peter Griffin. They also ask if I lift cars.

<{ByeHomer}>

In bodybuilding the high frequency for naturals theory (6 workouts a week etc) is the anabolic stimulus for protein synthesis is purely the training, so more workouts, more stimulus. Whereas on test the drug is the anabolic stimulus so you don’t need to rely solely on the training to provoke the response.

I don't think my budget can afford me to grow any larger as is. Luckily I'm 6'4, so that 260lbs is pretty well spread over my frame.
Wait, didn't you say you were an engineering director? With an average salary of 142k, you're on a tight budget for food?

Wait, didn't you say you were an engineering director? With an average salary of 142k, you're on a tight budget for food?

I was talking about my clothing budget. New suits. New shirts. New belts. New pants. All that shit is expensive. A decent suit costs like $500 at the bare minimum. Then you have to get everything tailored. Shit adds up. My work clothes alone are several thousand dollars.

I can afford food. I don't want to change my entire wardrobe.

Back