Anybody work in Sales?

I am curious. What makes them the lowest scums?

Because they get paid like, who knows, $20 dollars to walk inside a store waste an employees time by asking ridiculous questions they could find on our website and then have the power of your employment in their hands afterwards.

You have to go through everything for them. Our coverage, their data needs (based on a calculator we use), demo multiple phones, show them accessories, explain to them how much their bill would be, explain the insurance. this process that could take half hour. Then you must review everything again to them.

Then there is the personality of the shopper. they are the ones who act like they have no clue on how to use a phone. then there's the one who knows everything. they are also ones who try to rush you. and last, but not least, they are the ones who complain about everything you show them

If you fail to explain to them one thing out of twenty, you will get fined and/or fired for that.

Reminds me of rats.

Tell me about it!

Which carrier do you work for?

We don't need secret shoppers because we are on our toes all day. literally and figuratively since T-Mobile removed all the chair from their stores

Cry me a river.

Because they get paid like, who knows, $20 dollars to walk inside a store waste an employees time by asking ridiculous questions they could find on our website and then have the power of your employment in their hands afterwards.

You have to go through everything for them. Our coverage, their data needs (based on a calculator we use), demo multiple phones, show them accessories, explain to them how much their bill would be, explain the insurance. this process that could take half hour. Then you must review everything again to them.

Then there is the personality of the shopper. they are the ones who act like they have no clue on how to use a phone. then there's the one who knows everything. they are also ones who try to rush you. and last, but not least, they are the ones who complain about everything you show them

If you fail to explain to them one thing out of twenty, you will get fined and/or fired for that.

Reminds me of rats.

Got it.
Is there a good way to mess with them?
Insist on providing them "too much" information or something?

Got it.
Is there a good way to mess with them?
Insist on providing them "too much" information or something?

You could fail if you provide to much information. because then the shopper could write that the sale associate was throwing to much info and trying to sell too hard.

Its stressful because your job is on the line.

Ok guy before I cry a river I would like you to stand up in the same spot for 10+ hours a day without a real lunch break and sell phones throughout that time without slipping up.

I've worked sales.. Too many people that should be working in factories are working sales because we lost 60million factory jobs. You can make money, but corporate america has to employ 3 unnecessary women for every necessary job so the surveys and micro-management have taken a lot of the fun out. You are either selling something, making something for somebody else to selll, or assisting in one of the two. Sales is what matters. American is feminized, and operating in little clicks has somehow become more important.. It isn't. Making sales and taking care of customers is important.. The more they aggressively survey the more it really becomes harder to be a decent sales person.

I did phone sales in college. The people you work with are scumbags and will fuck you over without hesitation.

Any cell phone salesmen here? I work for T-Mobile and I hate sales but it is the only job I could get right now. I hate the fact that my own companies pays contractors to send secret shoppers (lowest scums on the planet) to act like customers to test out customer service. If we get under a 90% just once, we get fined and after a few "failures" we could get fired.

/Rant

What keeps you going everyday? is it the commission or do you really love the products you are selling to the consumers.
Sorry dude but if you made a poll and asked sherdoges who were scummier, cell phone salesmen or secret shoppers, 90% of those polled would choose the salesmen.

Used to have the secret shoppers all the time when I worked in Hotels, hated them

high end retail for a spell in my early 20's. made really good money, but eventually had to leave because i hated living in california

I might have worked in "sales" in the past, product sold itself...think Jon Jones.

Sorry dude but if you made a poll and asked sherdoges who were scummier, cell phone salesmen or secret shoppers, 90% of those polled would choose the salesmen.

Cell Phone salesmen get a bad rep. The consumer wants high end smartphones and not the basic ones that are 1/6th the price. its not our faults if we throw in accessories and insurance for their devices :icon_neut

I worked as a door to door salesman before, fucking terrible.

now that is horrible. How was the commission?

The company I worked for had a contract with Amnesty, but we weren't allowed to accept one-off cash donations so we could only accept subcription donations and we had an iPad where the customer would have to enter their credit card details or bank account details. So for everyone donation it would be like a $100 comission. As you can imagine 99.99% of people wouldn't do that so it was almost impossible to get a sale. And even if you did get that sale you had to wait 3 weeks to get the commission to make sure the customer went through with their payment. When I started there, one of the guys working there was excited because after 2 months he just started making some sales... We technically weren't allowed to pitch to elderly folks, unemployed people etc (as part of the contract) but that didn't stop a lot of the other sales people. On my first week I was there with one of the top guys and he was telling me how they just do it anyway and to ignore what was in the contract.

I felt like a scumbag working that job so I quit after a few weeks.

Cell Phone salesmen get a bad rep. The consumer wants high end smartphones and not the basic ones that are 1/6th the price. its not our faults if we throw in accessories and insurance for their devices :icon_neut

It's the whole schtick- the cheap khakis, Ill fitting dress shirt, bad ties, greased up hair and overly groomed facial hair. The whole look comes across as greasy and desperate, and customers can smell the fear and desperation on your (albeit standardly minty) breath.

Don't even get me started on your creepy kiosk counterparts at the mall.

Any cell phone salesmen here? I work for T-Mobile and I hate sales but it is the only job I could get right now. I hate the fact that my own companies pays contractors to send secret shoppers (lowest scums on the planet) to act like customers to test out customer service. If we get under a 90% just once, we get fined and after a few "failures" we could get fired.

/Rant

What keeps you going everyday? is it the commission or do you really love the products you are selling to the consumers.

One of the most successful people I know started in retail jewelry sales, then on to radio sales and now runs his own financial services company. Had a plan, set goals, studied his craft, worked relentlessly and now he's set for life.

Retail sales can teach you a lot about sales...may not be the most grand career start but you can make what you want out of it...or just bitch and leave in a few months when you find something better.

It's the whole schtick- the cheap khakis, Ill fitting dress shirt, bad ties, greased up hair and overly groomed facial hair. The whole look comes across as greasy and desperate, and customers can smell the fear and desperation on your (albeit standardly minty) breath.

Don't even get me started on your creepy kiosk counterparts at the mall.

Well, I am balding and have a short beard. I do admit when someone who comes in just to pay their bill (which is most of our customers) I peek at their account and see if they are qualified for an upgrade, or other promotions. We have a traffic converter that takes the amount of foot traffic coming and divides it by the total sales. So we have to sell when somebody stops by. it is up to you, as a salesmen, to execute your pitch without sounding forcing or desperation.

Yea those Kiosk salesman are rough.

One of the most successful people I know started in retail jewelry sales, then on to radio sales and now runs his own financial services company. Had a plan, set goals, studied his craft, worked relentlessly and now he's set for life.

Retail sales can teach you a lot about sales...may not be the most grand career start but you can make what you want out of it...or just bitch and leave in a few months when you find something better.

It's a good job for resume and experience to move up the ladder. Which I am trying to do. Even though I am a bit late in the game (28).

But until then I could bitch if I want to.

Back