Anybody train in the O.C?

Gracie Barra Garden Grove might suit you. I heard good things about it. It's close too.

Is that the one on Brookhurst near by Ebisu, and all the other delicious food places?

No you are thinking about Bear essentials MMA.Bear packed up shop last year and moved to the mid west.Hear good things about ACE though..Ebisu(the supermarket is gone too) but the Mongolian BBQ place is still there as well as a great Ramen Noodle place.

No you are thinking about Bear essentials MMA.Bear packed up shop last year and moved to the mid west.Hear good things about ACE though..Ebisu(the supermarket is gone too) but the Mongolian BBQ place is still there as well as a great Ramen Noodle place.

Yeah, sucks the market is gone. At least Mitsuwa isn't too far away.

I have no particular goals other than health and love of all martial arts. Most likely will not compete, but would enjoy training at a high level. I think atmosphere and the kind of people who train at the gym would impact choice greatly. I didn't enjoy Kings MMA too much. Gazze didn't tickle my fancy either, even if my bro trains there hah. My biggest concern though is for sure costs. So broke :(

I have no particular goals other than health and love of all martial arts. Most likely will not compete, but would enjoy training at a high level. I think atmosphere and the kind of people who train at the gym would impact choice greatly. I didn't enjoy Kings MMA too much. Gazze didn't tickle my fancy either, even if my bro trains there hah. My biggest concern though is for sure costs. So broke :(

Why didn't you like Kings? I didn't like it either, just curious why you didn't. I'm used to being in the minority for my opinion about the place.

Yeah, sucks the market is gone. At least Mitsuwa isn't too far away.

I love Mitsuwa, I just had lunch there today and it was delicious!

Getting back on topic, BJJ is an expensive hobby so be prepared to pay anywhere from $100-200 a month depending on the school. It's pricey but this is the reality of living in a beautiful place like Orange County. As far as your personal needs go, I would still recommend Ace because even though you're not planning on competing, the competition training itself will get you in shape and make you a better grappler. I don't compete that often myself, but I always strive to do competition-focused training and I feel like I've improved a lot just from doing it. This is just my advice though. With so many BJJ schools in your vicinity alone, you're definitely going to find a place that you're comfortable with.

Why didn't you like Kings? I didn't like it either, just curious why you didn't. I'm used to being in the minority for my opinion about the place.

Only thing I liked was it's relaxed. Didn't like the attitudes of many gym guys, not all. Real cocky, and HB bro vibes. When I came for the free day, didn't get much direction. They let me borrow a gi, but didn't tell me how to tie the belt. Then had me roll with a guy twice my size first day ever. Didn't really mind, but would've made sense to have one of the other guys my size. Had no clue on any of the gyms rules and such. Felt like I was just thrown in to be tapped. Not sure if normal, but I thought there'd be a bit more structure. Some other stuff, but meh. I'm no expert.

I train in Fountain Valley (on Harbor): Global Jiu Jitsu. It's not too far from you. You can try a week for free at my school.

I train in Fountain Valley (on Harbor): Global Jiu Jitsu. It's not too far from you. You can try a week for free at my school.

I guess I shall make a list of places to be visited. I'll go to every single one if I must hah. Thanks for the heads up, to you and everyone else in the thread. Good to know there are sherbros all around. :p

Only thing I liked was it's relaxed. Didn't like the attitudes of many gym guys, not all. Real cocky, and HB bro vibes. When I came for the free day, didn't get much direction. They let me borrow a gi, but didn't tell me how to tie the belt. Then had me roll with a guy twice my size first day ever. Didn't really mind, but would've made sense to have one of the other guys my size. Had no clue on any of the gyms rules and such. Felt like I was just thrown in to be tapped. Not sure if normal, but I thought there'd be a bit more structure. Some other stuff, but meh. I'm no expert.

The whole "Felt like I was just thrown in to be tapped. Not sure if normal, but I thought there'd be a bit more structure" is more common at MMA gyms. I've been through a few in the past and that's been my experience, at least. Maybe you have to stay there longer to get involved in the gym culture, but I'm not down to try, haha. Anyways, thanks for sharing, man. Let us know how your gym searching goes!

The whole "Felt like I was just thrown in to be tapped. Not sure if normal, but I thought there'd be a bit more structure" is more common at MMA gyms. I've been through a few in the past and that's been my experience, at least. Maybe you have to stay there longer to get involved in the gym culture, but I'm not down to try, haha. Anyways, thanks for sharing, man. Let us know how your gym searching goes!

For sure I will. Hopefully more people from the area come into the thread and chime in. I'm also looking at boxing gyms. Which are less expensive I believe. If CSW were closer, it'd be hard for me to choose any other place. I'm a big fan of catch wrestling.

Last edited:
As everyone has said, tons of great places nearby to train. I train at Testai jui-jitsu in HB (formerly Gracie Barra HB). The instructor is fantasic. We are at Gold's Gym in HB (Magnolia & Adams). You can come check it out for free as well.

I've heard great things about Ace as well, but have never been there.

I trained there last year when Joao Assis was still there. He was very nice and obviously knows BJJ but the classes seemed like they were out of control. There were no warm ups, he'd show two techniques then the class pretty rolled the rest of the time. A lot of black belts showed up but they were there to roll with each other so all the new guys didn't have anyone watching them. The purples and browns were mostly into themselves. The classes were doing full speed tale downs even onnew white belts who didn't even know how to do break falls. The only person who actually looked after the new guys was Korey Kelly. But he's a fighter so he's busy training too.

All in all it seemed like a its our club and if you survive long enough we might care a little about how you're progressing. It's definitely a fighters gym or for people who.think they want to be fighters. Most of.the.people seem to think just because they train at Kings that they're somewhat automatically legit. Just my two cents and no I'm not butt hurt.

I trained there last year when Joao Assis was still there. He was very nice and obviously knows BJJ but the classes seemed like they were out of control. There were no warm ups, he'd show two techniques then the class pretty rolled the rest of the time. A lot of black belts showed up but they were there to roll with each other so all the new guys didn't have anyone watching them. The purples and browns were mostly into themselves. The classes were doing full speed tale downs even onnew white belts who didn't even know how to do break falls. The only person who actually looked after the new guys was Korey Kelly. But he's a fighter so he's busy training too.

All in all it seemed like a its our club and if you survive long enough we might care a little about how you're progressing. It's definitely a fighters gym or for people who.think they want to be fighters. Most of.the.people seem to think just because they train at Kings that they're somewhat automatically legit. Just my two cents and no I'm not butt hurt.

Pretty much my exact thoughts and time frame when I went there.

As everyone has said, tons of great places nearby to train. I train at Testai jui-jitsu in HB (formerly Gracie Barra HB). The instructor is fantasic. We are at Gold's Gym in HB (Magnolia & Adams). You can come check it out for free as well.

I've heard great things about Ace as well, but have never been there.

Thanks, I'll add to my list. Think I had a cousin who trained there when it was GBHB.

Costa Mesa training center! Felipe Fogolin is our instructor, he's a Cleber BB and a nogi world champ... 100 bucks a month for unlimited jui jitsu, judo and MMA, I pay a hundred bucks a month, but IMO the vibe and the instruction are worth much more than that! Hope my little review helped haha

Costa Mesa training center! Felipe Fogolin is our instructor, he's a Cleber BB and a nogi world champ... 100 bucks a month for unlimited jui jitsu, judo and MMA, I pay a hundred bucks a month, but IMO the vibe and the instruction are worth much more than that! Hope my little review helped haha

I remember finding this place on my searches for a judo class. That price alone sounds amazing. I'll be sure to visit along my quest when time permits, thanks. :)

^Dammit! I was just gonna post that!

Back