Anybody train in the O.C?

tons of people here do. now what? haha

Just wanted everybodies thoughts on their gyms and other gyms in the area. Been looking for a good place to train once I have moneyz. :D

Rounders is supposed to be epic. I hear they have pro boxing and nogi

Just wanted everybodies thoughts on their gyms and other gyms in the area. Been looking for a good place to train once I have moneyz. :D

There are so many BJJ schools out here. It's hard to pick one. Drop in for a free class at as many places as you like and see which gym clicks with you. Start with the one closest to your house!

There are so many BJJ schools out here. It's hard to pick one. Drop in for a free class at as many places as you like and see which gym clicks with you. Start with the one closest to your house!

This.

What city are you in?

Border of HB/West/GGrove

I checked out Kings MMA last year. Had a session with Joao Assis teaching. My brother in law trains at Gazze Academy. They had a Nova Uniao right by A-Team JJ near by me, but they closed. Hard to gauge a place in 1 session. :(

Border of HB/West/GGrove

I checked out Kings MMA last year. Had a session with Joao Assis teaching. My brother in law trains at Gazze Academy. They had a Nova Uniao right by A-Team JJ near by me, but they closed. Hard to gauge a place in 1 session. :(

Check out Ace Jiu Jitsu in Fountain Valley. Friendly atmosphere and great instructors there (including Buchecha!).

Ace Jiu-jitsu for sure, they have a free 30 day pass. just PM me and I'll send you the pass.

Another "where should I train" thread. Awesome.

Pick a school that suits your needs and one where you feel comfortable in, and one that matches your training goals. Period. Don't gotta overcomplicate it.

Another "where should I train" thread. Awesome.

Pick a school that suits your needs and one where you feel comfortable in, and one that matches your training goals. Period. Don't gotta overcomplicate it.

Sorry if this thread offends you kind sir. I just wanted to see the thoughts on gyms around the area. As there are many, and I might miss them on my searches. I feel it takes more than a free day of training to see if I'm comfortable with a gym. I don't have money to try out at every place for a month. Plus it's nice to see other people represent their gyms.

Well, I wont rep my gym since im probably too far for you =)

What are your goals with training?

Ronis' gym (Gracie Elite) is close to you. Ronis has held some pretty awesome training camps at his school and has some heavy hitters drop by his school. Before pans he had Gordo, Rilion, Kyra, Pe De Pano and a number of other great black belts training. It was pretty fun! When Roger is in town, he has stopped and taught a class or two. With all that said and done, Its still a new school and his students dont compete often. It has a very family geared atmosphere. It has somewhat of a toned town Gracie Barra feel to it. Not quite as Gracie Barra as Gracie Barra, but still along those lines. Ronis has another black belt heping him teach the classes at the moment. Hes really nice with a lot of knowledge, but his english is a little lacking. His students are very loyal to him and really good people.

Joseph teaches at Gracie Barra Garden Grove and I really like him a lot. He is a New Breed black belt and is really motivated to building the school. The school has had a lot of turnover with teachers and finding their direction, but it seems on the right path now. One of his friends recently started at my gym and he attended class with his friend just so he would feel more comfortable. That says something about his character. If you like the Gracie Barra system and like to feel as though you are an instructors first crop of students, this might be a good choice.

Demente teaches Jiu-Jitsu at Tito Ortiz's Punishment training center in huntington beach. He is a highly qualified teacher (obviously, given his accomplishments at major tournaments) and a super nice guy. Cant remember names if his life depended on it though. The Jiu-Jitsu classes here are as small as any gym ive been to. Classes could often be a private lesson with an amazing jiu jitsu practitioner. No gi is a lot of the focus here. The gym has a "MMA feel" with loud music going on at all times, so if thats your bag, this might be the gym. Also of note, (if you were asking for your kids), they have a very small kids program but with 2 VERY good (and tough)kids. They will be something one day.

Ace would be my choice if you were looking to compete in IBJJF tournaments. There is not really much to say there. Tim is top quality and has produced quality students. If he were young and healthy, wed probably all know him as a frequent medalist in the adult division at major tournaments instead of an author(as most people would recognize his name). For more of a competition focus for a young, single and starving student looking to win, this is the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back