Anybody order boxing DVD's off the web?

I bought a few from boxingvideos.net a few years ago. My older brother always told me about the fight Sanchez vs, Gomez and I had to see it. 2 hour custom video for 20 bucks, not bad.

I bought a few from boxingvideos.net a few years ago.

Very reliable website. I placed a $200 Order on there once and he ended up sending me over $400 in merchandise. The guy is very generous! I definitely recommend him. You order like 2 or 3 fights from a fighter he'll send you like 5 or 6. He's very slow at replying to his Emails though.

All of these websites are overpriced like crazy considering that they are selling bootlegs. If anyone wants to start a collection just buy one set that will appeal to hardcore boxing fans (ie a Duran set) and start trading it for other sets.

The Roberto Duran Career is very common. Usually it's newer people with very small to no collections at all that are looking for fights from Ali, Duran, Hagler, Louis, Dempsey, etc.. It's very hard to work off of 1 career set of a commonly known fighter. If you wanna turn the heads of a hardcore fan with an extensive collection I'd recommend a career from someone along the lines of Oscar Bonavena, Carlos Ortiz, Jack Sharkey, etc.. Lesser popular fighters who have had excellent careers. When I looked around the CyberBoxingZone and BoxRec Forums a few years ago I was shocked at how many people were looking for Oscar Bonavena fights. Mostly his rare fights that are out there though like the ones with Mildenberger, Folley, Woody HL, etc.. I'm just speaking off of one persons experience though.

I need to buy another DVD player. Mine broke and it sounds like I'm missing out on some good stuff.

The Roberto Duran Career is very common. Usually it's newer people with very small to no collections at all that are looking for fights from Ali, Duran, Hagler, Louis, Dempsey, etc.. It's very hard to work off of 1 career set of a commonly known fighter. If you wanna turn the heads of a hardcore fan with an extensive collection I'd recommend a career from someone along the lines of Oscar Bonavena, Carlos Ortiz, Jack Sharkey, etc.. Lesser popular fighters who have had excellent careers. When I looked around the CyberBoxingZone and BoxRec Forums a few years ago I was shocked at how many people were looking for Oscar Bonavena fights. Mostly his rare fights that are out there though like the ones with Mildenberger, Folley, Woody HL, etc.. I'm just speaking off of one persons experience though.

Right, but the best way to start collecting is to look to trade with another beginner. Bonavena, Ortiz, Sharkey don't have ready made sets that are sold on websites, you would have to buy them at even greater price as individual fights/2 hours per DVD. With a Duran set you get a ready made 20+ DVD set in good quality (if you know which one to get). I was talking about starting from scratch, trading the set for others and moving on to more rare fights.

I would also caution people that some sellers/sites convert avi's to DVD, which result in bad quality. Trading is easy as soon as you have a few reliable contacts, and you only really end up paying for shipping.

Received the set today. Delivery time was 2 business days as promised, and the quality seems fine from what Ive seen so far.

Received my sets yesterday. I watched a couple of fights and was pleased with what I got.

Between me and my Bro,we have about 700+ 4/6hr VHS tapes full of Boxing. In 2003 we switched to DVD and are up to date .
He's got me beat so far on converting all those VHS to DVD,He's up to #380 and i haven't broke the 50 mark yet lol .

We are considering making a small website listing each DVD's contents and only trading/selling the discs like they are.Granted you'd be limited as far as cherry picking but dam near every fight thats been recorded by us is the complete card,all the Hype,entrances,post fight Interviews ect,ect.The commercial network cards USA/NBC ect.ect are commercial free.We put alot of heart into building this collection.We always try to upgrade whenever possible(TY ESPNClassic).

But as mentioned,you wont have much control picking fights like you would from those CustomDVD sites and thats the Shit-end of it all when someones only trying to fill a few gaps in their collection.

Sorry for the Mini-mercial...

I had a buddy get a 12/14 disc RJJr career set from ebay and it was atrocious! lol seriously. It was missing 1 or 2 fights,most of the stuff looked 2nd or 3rd gen.Def not worth the $45 bucks if you expected some quality.... but for the Hardcore...fuk it! lol

I have seen other Career sets that were GREAT,motion menus,the works

UPDATE -
Ive bought over $300 dollars worth of fights from boxingjunkies in the last 2-3 weeks. Everything has been good and very fast. They even e-mailed me right away when they didnt have a few of the fights I requested and asked me to pick a few others. Theyve also thrown in alot of stuff for free including 70 best KO's, a free trilogy (I picked Gatti Ward) and get this, a dvd called Latin Pride which features over 50 fights on 9 DVD's!!! Im talking about names like Napoles, Cuevas, Zarate, Chacon, Arguello, etc..

Does anyone have any similar experiences with other sites?

Instead of buying up DVD's from a website......has anyone ever proposed a DVD or vhs swap right here on this forum ?......I have hundreds of bouts on dvd and vhs (from all eras ) and would like to exchange for fights I don't have. We can PM between us and decide what bouts we are looking for and what the other guy has......and then exchange.

For instance....I'll burn a Jake Lamotta vs. Bob Murphy or a Jake Lamotta vs. Eugene Hairston for anyone who has Jofre vs. Harada in their collection. The only thing out of pocket would be the postage......What chu think ?

Wow man.. Im really surprised you mentioned someone like Eder Jofre. The best Brazilian boxer ever. He fought Harada twice if I remember correctly, right?

I like your idea about trading. I cant say that Ive seen it mentioned on THESE boxing forums before. Id help you out but I dont have Jofre vs Harada :(

Ive only seen a few rounds from that fight, on YouTube..

Wow man.. Im really surprised you mentioned someone like Eder Jofre. The best Brazilian boxer ever. He fought Harada twice if I remember correctly, right?

I like your idea about trading. I cant say that Ive seen it mentioned on THESE boxing forums before. Id help you out but I dont have Jofre vs Harada :(

Ive only seen a few rounds from that fight, on YouTube..

I've followed boxing for almost 40 years....since I was 6 years old and only recently have I discovered Jofre through YouTube......I don't know how I missed him. He is/was boxings best kept secret. Probably because he rarely fought in the U.S. and I understand there are only 3 fight films of him in existence.....Both he and Harada are something to see. If you're a purist....these two are Eye Candy all the way.

Instead of buying up DVD's from a website......has anyone ever proposed a DVD or vhs swap right here on this forum ?......I have hundreds of bouts on dvd and vhs (from all eras ) and would like to exchange for fights I don't have. We can PM between us and decide what bouts we are looking for and what the other guy has......and then exchange.

For instance....I'll burn a Jake Lamotta vs. Bob Murphy or a Jake Lamotta vs. Eugene Hairston for anyone who has Jofre vs. Harada in their collection. The only thing out of pocket would be the postage......What chu think ?
Wanna join BWBS and be almost cooler than thou?

BTW I have all of Jofre's filmed stuff. Im cool.

Are you whoring it up in here again Sir?

Wanna join BWBS and be almost cooler than thou?

BWBS.....you got me there ? Whats the story ?

By the way....I thought about starting up a DVD exchange sometime back. 20-30 bucks plus postage can ring up a bill....especially if you want to buy a bunch of fights......Why not trade for the fights you want ? The only out of pocket cost is postage.

Im a whore :(

The link is in my sig though :p

TKDhasBin

Here's a little something that I started about Jofre on another site.

Eder Jofre was one of the best Latin boxers of all time as well as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the sports history. Coming on the scene in 1960 with boxing's talent a little uninspiring and the bantamweight division hardly growing a concern, Jofre pumped life back into the sport with his fistic brilliance. Possessing all the tools of his craft, Jofre used his lightning left jab as a paintbrush to coat his opponent with layers of lefts, his left hook like a megaphone to capture their attention by assaulting their ears and his right, a battle-axe to decapitate them. Eder Jofre carried the bloodlines of a champion, almost as if he was bred to fight. One uncle had been a European middleweight champion, another had been lightweight champion of Brazil, an aunt had been one of Argentina's leading women wrestlers and his father had been a lightweight who fought under the name Kid Jofre. It was in his father's academy that the young Eder first started his climb to greatness, his father handing him down his talents like an heirloom. In 1956 he qualified for the Brazilian Olympic team but lost to the quarterfinals to a Chilean boxer. With a 148-2 amatuer record, Eder decided to turn pro in 1957. After 32 fights, the 5 foot 4 inch Jofre was 32-0 with 20 KO's. When bantamweight champ Joe Becerra announced his retirement in 1960, every bantamweight waited in line for their turn to be called to the front. Jofre was matched up with Eloy Sanchez for the championship. Jofre dropped Sanchez early on but Sanchez came back and bloodied up Jofre, who "was just looking for a spot to throw a straight right". In the 6th round that right landed on Sanchez who dropped face first to the canvas and was counted out. Jofre had won the NBA bantamweight championship. He then beat the European claimant of the bantamweight title (Piero Rollo) 4 months later via 10th round KO and in 1962 beat the previously undefeated Johnny Caldwell, to become the universally recognized bantamweight champion. "Jofrinho" went on to defend his title eight more times and by the end of 1964 he was 50-0 with 37 KO's! People at this point were not just calling him the best bantamweight ever but some whispers were arising of best pound for pound fighter ever but a funny thing happened to Eder on his way to lasting immortality: Japanese fighter Fighting Harada, the former flyweight champion of the world. Harada outpointed Jofre, winning a 15 round decision, taking his title in May of 1965 and then repeating his performance a year later, proving that the immortal Eder Jofre was indeed mortal. Suddenly it seemed that the great Eder was finished, his fights fewer and fewer and his weight no longer at bantamweight.. A few months later he confirmed the rumors that he was indeed retiring to attend to his outside business interests... BUT in August of 1969 after a 26 month hiatus, the great Eder Jofre decided to give it another go! In the long history of boxing, efforts of comebacks often fail and sometimes succeed rather abysmally. It seemed that Jofre's comeback, especially at featherweight, was destined to fall into one of those categories. But Eder Jofre was no ordinary fighter and his comeback was no ordinary comeback. Like a machine, Jofre would go on to win 25 consecutive fights AND the world featherweight championship to close out his truly remarkable career. Eder Jofre ended his career with an amazing record of 72 wins and 2 losses (both to Harada) with 50 KO's.

Back