Anybody like to target shoot with air rifles? UPDATE: Received new today

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
I found my almost 30 year old pump pellet gun a couple years back, and shot some targets with my then 11 year old. This thing was ancient, but it was still firing pretty much the same as when I got it. Probably 750-800 FPS, and it was going over half way into old thick phone books. Frankly, I think it’s as strong as the couple new ones I got, but the new ones look cooler.

I got a new .22 pellet gun, and pretty decent .177. Both on sale, and both pretty damn cool. I’ve had (real) ARs and an AK, and air rifles are not sufficient to serve the purpose we are supposed to have guns for in the 2nd amendment or anything, but they are pretty good and go about as deep as a .22 rifle with average ammo, but with less damage. You can kill animals with them.

Anyway, I got my two kids one for Christmas this year, because I think it’s good to shop early, and as a gift they retain value, and like I said I’ve had one for 30 years that still works. What other cool toy lasts 30 years and still works??

I’m afraid the break barrels won’t last as long as the old pumps, but I really like the look and feel of new air rifles. More than a .22 actual rifle for wtevr reason. Anybody else?

Yes. Was very happy the day my son was old enough to take over my old Air Guns.

Im actually seriously considering the PCP air guns for depredation hunts on wild pigs. The silent options got me very interested

Yes. Was very happy the day my son was old enough to take over my old Air Guns.

Im actually seriously considering the PCP air guns for depredation hunts on wild pigs. The silent options got me very interested
Those do look fun and interesting. You can get a really decent break barrel for $200, and even a bit less, but those pcp rifles vary pretty widely in price. I’d like to hear more about somebody’s experience, and see how many good shots you get off the pump you put into it etc...

There is something about getting an effective shot without gun powder that I really like. I don’t know if I would “enjoy” too much work in owning a pump and filling up the gibs etc.. But they do look pretty cool.

I like how much ammo you can carry in small spaces, as well.

When I was younger, my uncle had an air rifle. He used to nail plastic rims from car wheels against the wall of his shed and let me shoot them. He eventually took the rifle to a pawn shop.

Was fun , but I don't care enough to get another one.

I do brah!
I have a Red Ryder I plink cans with and a Gamo Whisper .177 break barrel pellet rife.

The Gamo is a beast. I used to shoot it everyday until I noticed holes through my fence and into my neighbors new garage!
<6>

0BC82F55-175C-42D0-9E59-6ADAD0598311.jpeg
Only when I needed to sight it in, I have a break barrel that came with .177 and .22 barrels. I was killing gophers with it, it’s accurate with the right pellets and has a smoother trigger action than the one my fiend brought over.

We used to hunt grouse when we were kids with .177 air gun.

Target practice with a .22 LR never gets old though.

I've got a .22 break barrel pellet gun. I'm a killer shot but I don't get to use it much anymore. It is great fun to set up some targets at the cottage and plink away for an hour.

View attachment 885112
Only when I needed to sight it in, I have a break barrel that came with .177 and .22 barrels. I was killing gophers with it, it’s accurate with the right pellets and has a smoother trigger action than the one my fiend brought over.
Which pellets? .22 pointed tip seem to work the best for me, but tbh I’m noticing a small drop no matter which I use. At the speeds I’m firing it’s probably my sites, but wtevr.

I have an older bb gun rifle and a newer air pistol, but I haven't jumped into the air rifle game yet. Might need to though.

I found my almost 30 year old pump pellet gun a couple years back, and shot some targets with my then 11 year old. This thing was ancient, but it was still firing pretty much the same as when I got it. Probably 750-800 FPS, and it was going over half way into old thick phone books. Frankly, I think it’s as strong as the couple new ones I got, but the new ones look cooler.

I got a new .22 pellet gun, and pretty decent .177. Both on sale, and both pretty damn cool. I’ve had (real) ARs and an AK, and air rifles are not sufficient to serve the purpose we are supposed to have guns for in the 2nd amendment or anything, but they are pretty good and go about as deep as a .22 rifle with average ammo, but with less damage. You can kill animals with them.

Anyway, I got my two kids one for Christmas this year, because I think it’s good to shop early, and as a gift they retain value, and like I said I’ve had one for 30 years that still works. What other cool toy lasts 30 years and still works??

I’m afraid the break barrels won’t last as long as the old pumps, but I really like the look and feel of new air rifles. More than a .22 actual rifle for wtevr reason. Anybody else?

I shot them quite a lot when I had them last.
Benjamin marauder is a fine bb gun. Whacked stuff out to 100 yards with it.

If I buy another it's liable to be this one

Argus_60_01-466x235.jpg

https://kalibrgun.com/weapons/argus-60-w-cal-55-22/

Right now I'm more into 22 Rim fire.

Friend of mine got an original air Replika of a H&K AR with burst.
Was first and last time I played with him.

had a bunch of birds shitting on everyone's car so I started killing those motherfuckers with a pellet gun. Had a cat almost snatch one out of the air as it dropped to the ground. I became a pretty good shot from my window.

Friend of mine got an original air Replika of a H&K AR with burst.
Was first and last time I played with him.
So he shot you in the ass?

Bottom line is for $500 you could get two pretty high powered .22, with enough amp to last 30 years, that barely takes up any space. When people are running out of ammo in the future, which hopefully doesn’t fully happen, you can be plunking squirrels, geese, turkeys, and even bigger with a strong air rifle. I have other “real” guns, but I think every enthusiast should own at least 1 high quality air rifle. I think the are fun.

Also, I wish they would make one for stronger male adults that shit like 1700 fps. Make it like curling a 45lb weight, strength wise, and you could have an amazing break barrel.

When I was a kid, yea.

I'd have to drive out in the country to do that nowadays.

Although, I bet there are some cool(er) bb/pellet guns now than when I was a kid.

Back