Anybody know any good sports(preferrably football) sites...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by HOMEtrained23, Sep 11, 2005.

1. HOMEtrained23

HOMEtrained23 Orange Belt

That have a good forum so I can talk to some people that are training specifically for sports? I have been doing a routine urban gave me but since hurricane Katrina hit i havent been able to train. But I have been trying to develop my OWN routine for training to be a defensive back. But I think it will be easier if i get advice form people who are actually training for the same thing as me. Thanks for your help. Especially you urban, that routine you gave me helped me gain from 115-120lbs. all the way to 130lbs. even. I have limited weight so i dont know about any actually gains in strength but the weight i have been using has become relativily easy. But thanks everybody.

2. HOMEtrained23

yea that looks pretty good. Thanks Gordon!

3. HOMEtrained23

Do you have a username there?

4. HOMEtrained23

Oh thats cool. Thanks for the site.

5. yomon

yomon Green Belt

reading the football training post in thier strength forum makes me want to smack them HARD

6. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

LOL! Seems like every 15 year old on BBing.com can bench 400+ lbs.!

7. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I fixed their grip thread. BTW, where's my book sonny? I'm so excited about it's arrival I could wet myself! Gonna start swing clubs like a god damn caveman at a bachelorette party.

8. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

You haven't gotten it yet? I gave it to the mail guy at work and he said he sent it out, although he's kind of an idiot at times.

9. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I fixed their grip thread again... HAHA

Anyways, could just be somewhere in the void between the US and canada. Maybe they stopped it on the way over cause it smelled like somebody was trying to smuggle in bullshit.

10. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

It reeks of bullshit!!!

11. Sonny

Sonny Handsome Woman

Me, Carnal and Fedorable are Scorpios. Together we plan on creating the most awesome secret handshake on the planet for ALL Scorpios to share.

No I'm not one of those horoscope chicks but there's no denying that Scorpios are super sexy!!

12. Wrecking Ball

Wrecking Ball Orange Belt

www.charliefrancis.com has some great "other sports" forums. You do have to register to view the forums, but it's free, and most of the contributors know what they're talking about. Gordon, I would recommend you checking out that site as well, lots of great hockey articles.

13. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

14. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

i second wrecking balls notion.

15. HOMEtrained23

I don't know. The football forum on that site is pretty dead! Hell I might be better off posting the routine here huh! LOL!!!

16. HOMEtrained23

"Hmmm... You are doing a split routine. For a beginner such as yourself, you can probably do anything and make improvements. However, I would rather see you do a full body workout on MWF. On each day do the following:
    1. Squat OR deadlift OR variation (you need a big lower body lift)
    2. Bench, db bench, OR incline bench (you need a big upper body lift)
    3. Pull ups OR rows (you need a big back lift)
    4. A posterior chain lift (RDL, rev hyper, GHG raise)
    5. Anything else you have energy for...shoulders, biceps, etc.

Since you are looking for hypertrophy, keep the reps in the mid range 6 - 12 and don't get too excited about your conditioning. If you use too much enegery there, you will undermine your efforts to build muscle."

"As for the tabata intervals, why? The conditioning involved for a football game is not the same as the conditioning you train when you do tabata intervals. I suspect you got that from menshealth website or some other thing like that (t-mag, etc.). Why dont you show your work week including all running, lifting, and whatever else you might be doing for each day. That'd give us a better idea.

As for the weights, I think you should rethink the setup, as it doesnt look very effecient. Also, I would suggest doing at least 4 weeks of just hypertrophy phase to get your muscle mass up, and then go right into a max strength phase after that.

Finally, arent you in the middle of football season right now? Why would you need to work on your grip and forearm strength? That's not important for a DB at all, instead you should focus on strengthening your core so you have the stability and ability to transition smoothly for change of direction and getting low for tackles and whatnot."

This is the advice I get. What do yall think of it?

The routine sucked. I aint postin it.<!-- / message -->

17. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Really I like the way he set up the full body day. very similar to how I set up mine. and he may be right about the tabata thing. You may want to consider a longer interval training program for sprints (something that will take you 20 minutes) and more aerobic (distance) work too. IMO if you want size, eat more.

As for the grip thing, fuck him. Everybody needs a stronger grip and is aint gonna make you overtrain. He is right, core strength is important, you will probably want to tack on a couple sets of side presses, saxon side bends, windmills, or full contact twists at the end of each weight session and call it exercise 5 if you choose to use his method.

another good point he made is it IS football season right now, in the weight room you want to be focusing on the things that will get you the most bang for your buck because most of your energy should be expended on the feild. Too much time with heavy iron won't get you anywhere. So you may wand to narrow it down to 4 exercises per session: press, squat or deadlift, row or pullup, core.

18. HOMEtrained23

HAHAHA!! I knew that was coming! Well, spring training was manditory and I couldn't go because I had to stay home with my bro. so I couldn't get on the team. So I aint playin this year. I want to lift hard this year so that I CAN do some bangin next year.

19. HOMEtrained23

I made this and posted it on that site:

DAY 1
    bench presses
    weighted dips
    overhead presses
    close grip bench presses

DAY 2
    Deadlifts---When i do deadlifts, at the top of the lift i do a shoulder shrub for traps---
    weighted chins(thick pull up bar, palms facing away, lil wider than shoulders but not too much)
    bent over rows
    stiff legged dead lifts

DAY 3
    Squats
    box squats
    box hops
    40-yd sprints

The guy says:

"switch squat day to the first training day of the week. You need to gain weight and leg training first and foremost is crucial. Also, you need more balance on your upper body day. You should be performing your bent over rows on this day. Finally, up your reps to 12-10 for a while. At your age and level of training, low reps won't get you much size."

What do ya think?

20. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I think if you want more size you should eat more.